Heating Issue: Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating Issue: Need Advice

I only use my m3 for track use. No A/C, no clutch fan, OEM cooling system, Never had any oil heating issues till I blew my old engine. Bought a "new" engine on ebay with "64K miles" and changed the rod bearings. Engine feels strong. With the same power add-ons it dynoed at 333 whp vs 339 whp from my old engine. Water temps are not an issue. Since I installed the new engine I cant do more than 2 laps full throttle before I see oil temps rise to 132 celsisus. Yesterday i was on track and couldn't do even 1 lap (2.4 KM) full throttle. I have switched my oil cooler from OEM to C&R to see if that would help. Nothing. Exactly the same or worst. Ive thought about adding both oil coolers. Plus buying a new Oil Pump. But I feel there might be more to it. Any word of advice from those who have had this issue before would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jevi Javi; 07-07-2022, 08:43 AM.

Have you measured oil pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
      Have you measured oil pressure?
      No i have not. That is something i Need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jevi Javi View Post

No i have not. That is something i Need to do.
        I would recommend that first.

There could be low pressure or the oil cooler thermostat in the oil filter housing could be stuck closed. There is recent another post where another user had to replace the oil filter housing.

Comment

There could be low pressure or the oil cooler thermostat in the oil filter housing could be stuck closed. There is recent another post where another user had to replace the oil filter housing.
          I think you're talking about me. Post here:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...housing-o-ring

It could be the t-stat in the filter housing. I did my damnedest to find a replacement t-stat, but failed. If it's a dedicated track car, you might want to try this:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...Valve-Kit.html

...which bypasses that t-stat all together. Relatively straightforward job, albeit somewhat of a PITA to get to.

I still can't believe that no one makes a replacement t-stat that consumers can buy. I have this gorgeous Cerakote coated filter housing that's now basically useless.
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

As about the oil TStat, try to touch the cooler to feel how hot it is when the oil gauge show over 115C.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

I think you're talking about me. Post here:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...housing-o-ring

It could be the t-stat in the filter housing. I did my damnedest to find a replacement t-stat, but failed. If it's a dedicated track car, you might want to try this:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...Valve-Kit.html

...which bypasses that t-stat all together. Relatively straightforward job, albeit somewhat of a PITA to get to.

I still can't believe that no one makes a replacement t-stat that consumers can buy. I have this gorgeous Cerakote coated filter housing that's now basically useless.

Nice.
              I might do this regardless of the oil pump being the culprit

Comment

added an oil pressure gauge.
                What are normal pressures at idle and full throttle? 10 psi and 60 psi?

Comment

From TIS:

Comment

thanks! Then, My oil pressure is OK.

So, I'm guessin its the T-stat. I already installed the bimmerworld t-stat bypass. But wont be able to confirm this till i drive the car properly.
                    Will report back when i Do...

Comment

So after installing the T-stat bypass, my heating issue still persists. Its strange. Oil temp will be around 100 C, and after like 2 minutes of sending it on track it will go up to 130 C. When i ease off throttle it will go down to like 118 C in a matter of seconds. Water temp is OK. like around +90 C. Oil pressure is OK. Engine feels strong. I did touch the oil cooler when the OIL temps were high, and it was hot.
                      Could my oil temp sensor be defective? and reading wrong? This is frustrating. Maybe I need a new engine?
                      Last edited by Jevi Javi; 07-18-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

What oil are you running?
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Castrol
                          Normally, I use Liquid Moly and sometimes Repsol.
                          Same issue with all 3.

Comment

Working...
                          X