Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a company that makes a carbon fiber insert for a rear shelf delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a company that makes a carbon fiber insert for a rear shelf delete?

Or any material really?

Originally posted by shibui View Post
    Or any material really?
    What do you mean by rear shelf delete? The "parcel shelf" where the rear mid-bass speakers and HK sub typically go?
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

What do you mean by rear shelf delete? The "parcel shelf" where the rear mid-bass speakers and HK sub typically go?
      Exactly, and I think I found one! Europe though, wish there was a shop stateside that made one.

Full carbon hat rack also available in a coarser 245g twill fabric. The Hat rack is from the German company Carboproject and is manufactured here in Germany! No Asian replica as is so often offered here, but a full carbon part Made in Germany. The Hat rack i100% perfect fit and is simply exchanged for the original part

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.54.31 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	170887

Comment

not sure if this uses the factory mounting points (there are a lot), but if not, it'd be rattle city for you!

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
          not sure if this uses the factory mounting points (there are a lot), but if not, it'd be rattle city for you!
          Agree. Also, not really sure what the purpose of that is other than bling. If you delete the headrests, insulation (although it doesn't weigh much), seat belts, latch system, etc. you get something that looks like this and is probably as light if not lighter than that carbon piece. That shiny carbon piece would annoy me on sunny days.

I just did this and used blind plugs sourced from BMW and Amazon to plug the holes. I think it looks pretty good. Long term, I will redo this and recover the stock trim, but for now, this looks great and I dropped several pounds by deleting all that stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220601_173054.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	170992
          Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-07-2022, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Same here, just delete everything. No need to remove more weight from this area - focus on engine bay and roof.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

This is a terrible idea because the glare would be absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Agree. Also, not really sure what the purpose of that is other than bling. If you delete the headrests, insulation (although it doesn't weigh much), seat belts, latch system, etc. you get something that looks like this and is probably as light if not lighter than that carbon piece. That shiny carbon piece would annoy me on sunny days.

I just did this and used blind plugs sourced from BMW and Amazon to plug the holes. I think it looks pretty good. Long term, I will redo this and recover the stock trim, but for now, this looks great and I dropped several pounds by deleting all that stuff.

Name:	IMG_20220601_173054.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	170992
                Do you have a link or PN for those plugs? Looking to do the same with my E36.

Comment

Hm, good point about the glare. It's already bare metal so I might just keep it that way.

Wanted to put it on and wrap the remaining bare metal in alcantara to make the gutted interior look more refined like a Team Schirmer car or something.

They do offer it in matte, though.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

Do you have a link or PN for those plugs? Looking to do the same with my E36.
                    Hey stephen sorry for missing this, I just stumbled on this looking to reference my own picture rather than uploading it again.

The plugs on the forward side of the picture where the headrests insert are BMW P/N: 51718170298. The blind plugs from BMW are rubber, and will conform to the slightly oval and curved shape of the plastic headrest guides.

For the plugs on the backside where the latch system bolts into, those holes are exactly 20mm on the E46. I ended up getting these off Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y57XDZY

I looked elsewhere (than Amazon) for variants of "blind plug 20mm ID" but couldn't find anything that looks suitable at McMasters, BoltDepot.com, and the rest of my usual go-to's.

Comment

How did you get the headrest plugs to stay in? I’ve hijacked your idea because I think it looks great. The plugs keep popping out.

Comment

Originally posted by Calb View Post
                        How did you get the headrest plugs to stay in? I’ve hijacked your idea because I think it looks great. The plugs keep popping out.
                        Hey I didn't really have to do anything special to get it to stick. I just pushed them into those holes and it works perfectly. This is a picture of the side profile of one of the old plugs used elsewhere on the car that was deformed slightly but it still stayed in place.

Name:	IMG_20220529_122816.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	173386

Comment

Working...
                        X