Karb Race airbox vs regular airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karb Race airbox vs regular airbox

Does anyone know what the true differences between a regular style CSL airbox and Karb's Race box are? I know the race box has the integrated snorkel, but are there any downsides? Less noise, worse fitment, power etc? Thanks in advance for anyone that has experience with these.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Also curious if the race box snorkel would fit the CSL style and vice versa.

Comment

Main difference is weight. Race is lighter than Karb snorkel and much lighter than the CSL control flap unit. The main unfiltered section is the same on both Karb airboxes. If you are using a CSL bumper and want an easy connection/route to the airbox, you want the standard airbox with snorkel. If you are using the stock ducting, the Race is fine. All essentially sound the same and make the same power.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        Main difference is weight. Race is lighter than Karb snorkel and much lighter than the CSL control flap unit. The main unfiltered section is the same on both Karb airboxes. If you are using a CSL bumper and want an easy connection/route to the airbox, you want the standard airbox with snorkel. If you are using the stock ducting, the Race is fine. All essentially sound the same and make the same power.
        Do you know what the weight difference is? There seems to be about the same amount of carbon in the race unfiltered section as in the regular unfiltered + karb snorkel. Only thing I can think that would make a difference is the lack of aluminum flange on the race version.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Do you know what the weight difference is? There seems to be about the same amount of carbon in the race unfiltered section as in the regular unfiltered + karb snorkel. Only thing I can think that would make a difference is the lack of aluminum flange on the race version.
          It's probably a small difference, but there is the flange and maybe added carbon layers with adhesive to make the more complex piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

It's probably a small difference, but there is the flange and maybe added carbon layers with adhesive to make the more complex piece.
            Now I'm curious. If anyone on here has the race version (or gets it in the future), it'd be interesting to see how much the unfiltered section weighs. I can weigh my regular unfiltered section + karb snorkel too.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
            X