No announcement yet.

Replacement Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, you’re right. Once you hit $600 might was well go BMW and it includes the trim piece that’s almost $200. I guess I’m wondering more about this one at $400 https://www.ebay.com/itm/272955744773

Comment

Originally posted by 8000RPM View Post
      Thread bump.

Does anyone have any insight on these two? Both look great but one is $200 more. I don’t mind paying extra for a better product but I can’t tell between these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222999843935
      That more expensive one has the split seam on the bottom, which is not like OEM. The cheaper one has it at each of the 4 "quadrants" so setting aside the price difference I'd honestly want the cheaper one anyways

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

That more expensive one has the split seam on the bottom, which is not like OEM. The cheaper one has it at each of the 4 "quadrants" so setting aside the price difference I'd honestly want the cheaper one anyways
        The cheaper one looks like it might have wrinkly leather though in spots ... that would annoy the hell out of me. Tainik (second link) does great work and makes them OE-like with quadrant stitching as well.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

The cheaper one looks like it might have wrinkly leather though in spots ... that would annoy the hell out of me. Tainik (second link) does great work and makes them OE-like with quadrant stitching as well.
          Yeah true, didn't catch that from a quick glance. I wouldn't buy that exact wheel from Tainik but if you talk to him I'm sure he can stitch it from 4 pieces as well. Plus, with 4 separate pieces the length of hide is not 1 long piece, but 4 shorter pieces so hopefully cost of the wheel is lower as well

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post
            The only thing I don’t like about Coby is that they wrap over top of your existing leather. I’d want it stripped to the core and then wrapped with padding underneath.
            From Coby's FAQ:

Question: Can you thicken my steering wheel?
            Answer: Yes, we can thicken most wheels or completely strip and re-foam the wheel for an additional charge. Please contact us with questions.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

From Coby's FAQ:

Question: Can you thicken my steering wheel?
              Answer: Yes, we can thicken most wheels or completely strip and re-foam the wheel for an additional charge. Please contact us with questions.
              He said he would do it for me as well but it was double the price last year and said it wouldn’t even be stock thickness most likely. When I contacted him last month, he said he wouldn’t do it unless the leather was ripped.

Comment

I had mine done some years back by Royal Steering Wheels in the UK (I live in SoCal). Thickened wheel, perforated leather - really happy with it, and IIRC it was quite reasonable (something around $150 US + shipping and a $300 refundable deposit)

Comment

I have this one, PM if interested.

Attached Files
                  Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
                  Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post

He said he would do it for me as well but it was double the price last year and said it wouldn’t even be stock thickness most likely. When I contacted him last month, he said he wouldn’t do it unless the leather was ripped.
                    Good to know as I was considering going this route.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Good to know as I was considering going this route.
                      Maybe he’s willing to do it now. Just make sure you get stock thickness otherwise you will feel like you’re driving a 325ci.

Comment

I’ve gone through Coby wheel 2 times now. Great communication and quality of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post
                          I’ve gone through Coby wheel 2 times now. Great communication and quality of work.
                          Did you have him strip the wheel down or wrap over existing leather? Did you go leather or alcantara?

Comment

I've had both a Coby and Ledermanz wheel. I had no major complaints with the Coby wheel, and it served its purpose overall. I paid $180 for a core + $270 for Coby Wheel to wrap it ($450 total). I ended up wanting something more unique, so I bought a Ledermanz this spring. Comparing the two side by side, it is clear the Ledermanz has a certain finesse that the Coby wheel does not have. I paid $670 shipped for the Ledermanz. The clearest difference is in the stripe. The Ledermanz stripe matches Imola leather much better in both color and grain, while the Coby stripe is just a random strip of red leather.

Overall, both the Coby and Ledermanz acheive the same look, but if you are big on details I would spend the extra $200 for a Ledermanz. You might even be able to message him on Instagram (grigul_design) for a discount. He can do lots of different things, and can accommodate custom requests like half leather/half alcantara that Coby can't do.

As an added bonus, Ledermanz wrapped the lower trim piece in leather. This piece alone costs $200 from BMW.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_161844.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	59379 ​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_162310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	59380 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_134301.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	59377 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_162244.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	59381 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_134347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	59375
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Titaniu//M; 09-30-2020, 09:25 PM.
                            '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                            '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                            '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                            '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

if someone's looking for a replacement steering wheel i might be selling mine soon. believe it was a coby wheel that the previous owner had installed. i'm looking to upgrade to a removable steering wheel since the car is 90% a track car now.
                              2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Coby Wheel is great. I love mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-Hkxz9tt-L.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	59755

Comment

Working...
                                X