Replacement Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Steering Wheels

Anyone have suggestions on places for replacement steering wheels? I would prefer nappa leather to match OEM. I know Coby is a forum favorite for the Alcantara finish.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
    Anyone have suggestions on places for replacement steering wheels? I would prefer nappa leather to match OEM. I know Coby is a forum favorite for the Alcantara finish.
    I believe they are doing leather now, just not on their website. I’ve been following AP_upholstery on IG and their Nappa Leather steering wheels look amazing. (Just don’t know how much they go for)
    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I found the leather option on Cobys site - https://cobywheel.com/e46-m-sport-6-...ing-wheel.html

That being said, I am still open to options.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Ledermanz has the highest quality rewraps from what I have seen - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-OEM-M-T....c100005.m1851

For something simple like a full alcantara rewrap or possibly leather, Coby is not as expensive and might do the trick; however, I have seen one or two quality issues with their center stripe wheels. The stripe is sometimes too thick, slightly offset or V-shaped. Ledermanz seems to do a much better job with the center stripes, stitching quality and customized rewraps.

Comment

I bought a tainik wheel from Germany last year. Quality and stitching is fantastic but I’m going back to a used OEM one I bought here when I find a minute to install. The tainik wheel has great quality Napa leather that matches my black seats perfectly, but I prefer the slightly rough OEM leather.

Comment

That’s sort of where I’m torn. I may look for a slightly used OEM one. Currently my wheel has seen some wear from the PO. Going to leatherique the whole interior this weekend to get rid of the shine, that won’t fix the 1 o’clock position though

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

+1 for Cobywheel. Fair price and quality product. Probably not the most extensive solution but I am more than happy with the work hes done for me on my cars. Cannot speak on his leather, but Alcantara is on par with OEM. I've had the Alcantara bits on my E9X for almost 4 years and a light bath with baby detergent and warm water brings the parts back to new.

Last edited by RoyalFlushness; 04-25-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Personally I am a fan of matte, natural & smooth-looking napa leather. Ebay wheels from Europe seem to be the way to go, Tainik & Ledermanz were already mentioned. I got lucky with mine and got it for $220 USD without core, so I was able to pawn my old wheel off to recoup some cost. I got it 3 years ago, and it looks exactly the same as when I first installed it with regular cleaning and conditioning. Unfortunately, the seller doesn't seem to be active anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gg3qI8Ml.jpg
Views:	1775
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	17165

Comment

I have that left, was upholstered with Alcantara last year. Click image for larger version

Name:	3801886E-0535-4DC6-A245-259C2446BDA7.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	17183

my current steering wheel Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5965.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	17184
                  Attached Files

Comment

+1 Coby wheel. He has my wheel right now, but I’m going for Alcantara, since I have the zcp package. I’ve had 2 wheels done through him already. Just email or call him. Great customer service and he does amazing work. Would recommend.

Comment

+1 for coby wheel. I've bought a bunch of things from him and always extremely pleased.

I bought a leather e46m3 wheel from a user named Tainik on eBay. He is a German seller. https://www.ebay.com/usr/tainik

Here is the wheel I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222210132593 although I bought mine back in 2014 and paid about half... Still, the quality was fantastic.

E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Could go the eBay, DIY route.... I'm sure it'll waste hours of your life. For $33 I'm doing it for fun.

It's no loss for me because someone already botched the rewrap on my steering wheel. It's so aweful to touch.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Thread bump.

Does anyone have any insight on these two? Both look great but one is $200 more. I don’t mind paying extra for a better product but I can’t tell between these.

Comment

The only thing I don’t like about Coby is that they wrap over top of your existing leather. I’d want it stripped to the core and then wrapped with padding underneath.

Comment

Am I wrong, in that all the Tainik & Ledermanz solutions are 600+ ?

Is there a substantial difference to go with them or just go OEM wheel for close "ish" same price?

I have seen some quality complaints on COBY, but at half the price appears to be a great deal no?

Comment

Working...
                              X