MAP sensor wiring help PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAP sensor wiring help PLEASE!

I know I have already asked this in other threads and you guys probably rolling your eyes, but I just am not 100% that I've got this figured out.

I am trying wire a MAP sensor via a connector made by Kassel. I have called Kassel and their response is "the wiring is factory CSL". Well I do not have a factory CSL wiring diagram handy. With the old forums down all those 30+ pages threads with the info I'm am looking for is gone. And I know this forum is mainly populated with old hands who have done this many times so please bear with me.

I have these two wiring documents I have been referring to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6190-1.jpg
Views:	4002
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	17228
    Followed this document above as I understand from reading X60003 pin 17 is occupied, I am running a Turner IAT relocation harness that still retains the plug for the MAF, what I don't want to do is unplug pin 17 to find out that it needed to be plugged in for the Turner harness for a ground to the IAT. And yes I know I could test for continuity if I had any doubts.

I also have this wiring info from ECUworx:

The MAP sensor is wired to the DME via 3 wires.

The wires are connected in the following manor:

MAP Sensor – Pin A to DME – Splice to X60003 Pin 17 (Brown/Orange) or insert a new pin into X60003 Pin 16 – Ground
    MAP Sensor – Pin B to DME – Insert a new pin into X60003 Pin 18 (Yellow) – Signal
    MAP Sensor – Pin C to DME – Splice to X60003 Pin 7 (Red/Green) – Shared Power (5V)

Now this information posted above by ECUworx is in regards to a GM MAP sensor and the wiring colors listed do NOT match my Kassel setup.
    The one thing I found interesting is that in addition to pin 17 it says you can insert a wire into pin 16 as it is also a ground and apparently unused.

I like the idea of using pin 16 as I would not be unplugging anything to possibly interfere with the function of the Turner harness. But again, the colors don't match the Kassel wiring.

Here is my Kassel connector:

Name:	20200425_153232.jpg
Views:	5312
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	17229

Name:	20200425_153316.jpg
Views:	3824
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	17230
    The first image I posted of wiring pinouts matches the wiring colors of the Kassel wiring plug I have as pictured above however I guess it just come down to my question about X60003 pin 17 removal or simply inserting into X60003 pin 16.

And on a side not since the Turner IAT relocation harness still has a plug for the MAF wouldn't it be feasible to use this otherwise usnued plug for flap wiring assuming I got the correct connectors?

Please help ease my newb mind. Thank you.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

That website should help.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Use pin 16 or 17. Ground is ground. Pin 16 is undocumented IIRC, but if you check with a multimeter you'll find it's ground.

The Kassel pinout at the sensor end should be the same as the real CSL censor.

Comment

Name:	B93E42BD-D84C-439D-84E7-9A9419FED25B.jpeg
Views:	3419
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	17283 Click image for larger version

Name:	E239FC75-C23A-4720-AD40-8C856CE64B44.jpeg
Views:	3701
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	17282
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Just go off the MAP sensor number so it can be easier.
          PIN 1- to pin 7 (splice)
          PIN 2 - to pin 17 (splice)
          PIN 3 - to pin 18 (empty)

but yes. PIN 16 is an unused ground.

Last edited by COVID-19; 04-25-2020, 02:56 PM.
          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, I tend to maybe over complicate things a bit sometimes. But just wasn't sure on this.

Instagram

Comment

Don’t be hard on yourself mate. If you are not familiar with circuit diagrams or automotive wiring it is quite sensible to be cautious.

After losing much of the information contained within M3forum it’s good to get some of the MAP sensor installation FAQs posted.

Do shout if you need more help.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                Use pin 16 or 17. Ground is ground. Pin 16 is undocumented IIRC, but if you check with a multimeter you'll find it's ground.

The Kassel pinout at the sensor end should be the same as the real CSL censor.
                DON'T use pin 16. Its not the same signal ground as 17. Using 16 caused erratic and false IAT readings on my vehicle.
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

DON'T use pin 16. Its not the same signal ground as 17. Using 16 caused erratic and false IAT readings on my vehicle.
                  Thats disconcerting to hear, would have been nice to just slot into an empty spot. I don't have any problems disconnecting pin 17 as long as it isn't a ground for something else I'm going to need.
                  But from the first wiring chart I posted that does not appear to be the case.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Thats disconcerting to hear, would have been nice to just slot into an empty spot. I don't have any problems disconnecting pin 17 as long as it isn't a ground for something else I'm going to need.
                    But from the first wiring chart I posted that does not appear to be the case.
                    Empty slot was precisely why I started with 16. While on the dyno (at TTFS with Frank) I had to repin it to 17.

If anyone remembers on old M3F I was asking for help diagnosing a lean condition. I tested fuel system, some chimed in about the MAP sensor, etc. The faulty IAT reading is actually what caused it.

Once re-pinned to 17, the IAT readings were immediately corrected and the tuning was successfully completed.

Don't disconnect the existing pin 17. Rather, split into the wire. Best to solder.
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I’ve been using pin 16 for 6 years. It works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Don't disconnect the existing pin 17. Rather, split into the wire. Best to solder.
                        So the Kassel wire has two pins for the DME and one T tap. They say to wire it like a factory CSL MAP sensor.
                        One pin goes to 18
                        One pin goes to 17 (isn't this the factory CSL position?)
                        T tap allows splicing into wire from pin 7.

Where is Kassel thinking you should insert the ground pin if unplugging pin 17 is not an option?

I don't have any problems splicing but since I've got factory style terminations on this deal from Kassel I'd sure like to use them if possible.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

So the Kassel wire has two pins for the DME and one T tap. They say to wire it like a factory CSL MAP sensor.
                          One pin goes to 18
                          One pin goes to 17 (isn't this the factory CSL position?)
                          T tap allows splicing into wire from pin 7.

Where is Kassel thinking you should insert the ground pin if unplugging pin 17 is not an option?

I don't have any problems splicing but since I've got factory style terminations on this deal from Kassel I'd sure like to use them if possible.
                          You may be right here with the ability to de-pin 17. I said don't disconnect due to unknown function of that pin 17 ground on non-CSL applications but if you can confirm by asking someone like Jim, or terra here would probably know, that would be helpful to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                            I’ve been using pin 16 for 6 years. It works fine.
                            Nuts! And no jumping around of IAT temp read-out?

Frank had his Snap-On diagnostic tool plugged into ODB port. We were watching refresh values of +122F, 33F, -10F, +132F....it went on and on. I had a spare IAT sensor plugged into the airbox (since I relocated the sensor) and using a different sensor, the same error readings occurred, so we ruled out the sensor.

I had to do a full check of wiring on the spot. I pulled up 0-06's post and checked all the wires; the only discrepancy was pin 16/17. I solded into 17 on the spot, we checked the diagnostic scan and boom, straight +68F.

At the risk of sounding uninformed (I am uninformed so hell with it), if you do a continuity check between 16 and 17, there is no continuity. I know that's probably due to circuitry limitations (total blackbox for me) but it doesn't help with peace of mind.

Comment

I'd like to De-pin 17. I'll call Kassel tomorrow, but lately the person answering the phone hasn't been very helpful, I won't go further than that.
                              I have called in the past and talked with Jim and sure like to talk with him again for even a few minutes.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X