Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmares with SMG after changing clutch! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmares with SMG after changing clutch! Help!

Car is a 2004/4 E46 M3 with new Slave cylinder, Electric motor and Gear position sensor.

I had just replaced my pressure plate and clutch, due to a previous faulty pressure plate.
    After putting everything back together I went to start the car but it doesn't want to shift.

I read codes which were,

56: SMG Ventings
    3B: SMG Actuation of dynamic clutch
    23: SMG Hydraulic pressure sensor

I have noticed that the pump primes continually every 10 seconds,
    The pressure goes no lower than 80 bar, when it primes it goes well past 100 bar.
    • I have tried another salmon relay, no luck.
    • The car will sometimes successfully shift after 10 seconds of the gear flashing on dash.
    • I had removed the slave cylinder to complete the installation of the transmission.
    • I have bled both the actuator and slave multiple times. Sometimes it will fail causing a "break"
    • Unable to complete the adaptations.
    • Fluid level is OK.
    I have no idea what would be causing the pump to prime every 10 seconds. To me it seems as if the system is confused thinking that it has low pressure but in fact it does not

Any help is welcome!

Codes and symptoms sound like pressure sensor.

“””
    Failure of the pressure sensor whether shorted or open will result in the hydraulic unit being
    activated for a fixed amount of time at predetermined intervals and after each gearshift to maintain system pressure.
    “””

The reason it doesnt go above 100bar is there is a pressure relief valve that mechanically prevents pressure from accumulating over 100 bar.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
      Codes and symptoms sound like pressure sensor.

“””
      Failure of the pressure sensor whether shorted or open will result in the hydraulic unit being
      activated for a fixed amount of time at predetermined intervals and after each gearshift to maintain system pressure.
      “””

The reason it doesnt go above 100bar is there is a pressure relief valve that mechanically prevents pressure from accumulating over 100 bar.
      thanks for the update. im going to check the harness and connectors for the pressure sensor as it seems that this might be the cause of the fault.
      I will replace it and update you

Comment

Originally posted by Prime View Post

thanks for the update. im going to check the harness and connectors for the pressure sensor as it seems that this might be the cause of the fault.
        I will replace it and update you
        Since you just did work on it I would recommend clearing the codes and trying again. The SMG unit may be holding the pressure sensor in failure state while there are still codes. Ive noticed some conditions that persisted until the codes were cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Since you just did work on it I would recommend clearing the codes and trying again. The SMG unit may be holding the pressure sensor in failure state while there are still codes. Ive noticed some conditions that persisted until the codes were cleared.
          Car is put back together, but i installed the pressure plate after taking out the locking bracket, so it was installed expanded. I have to do the whole job again and reset the pressure plate.

Comment

Working...
          X