Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faded Parcel Shelf

Hey folks,

Just touching base on a common problem that our cars suffer from - which is the parcel rear shelf fading to a bluish purple over time.

The solution is to either redye / paint the shelf back to anthracite or to replace with a new shelf (depending on how far you want to go).

Both have been covered in more depth on various forums throughout the net.

However, my reading indicates that there is not much emphasis on prevention. And so I’d be keen to establish what products people are using to stop this from occurring once the shelf has been rectified or replaced?

I’m aware that some claim that window tint is a successful prevention method, however I am not keen on this. There was also a thread on the ole M3Forum.net which was useful but I can’t remember the details.

If you have restored or replaced your parcel shelf, I would be grateful if you could share your methods of protection, ie ceramic, fabric guard etc.

Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	734CC060-BD8F-4AFC-9265-877B09BBA67D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	265.1 KB ID:	172990
    Last edited by R60BBA; 06-21-2022, 05:35 AM.

I redyed mine 5yrs ago and holding up strong. Not garaged kept and still looks the same. I do have Air80 window tint, which are barely noticeable but helps protect my interior

Comment

I have a new one as well, since 2 years or so. Not leaving the car in the direct sun outside seems to be the prevention method.
      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

To get the black finish and make it look even better, I would opt to re-upholster it in UV-resistant alcantara.
        2004 Jet Black/Impulse Cloth Slicktop

Comment

Toby my boy you really gonna try and "roast" my "200k" car when yours isn't even garage kept and you have a faded rear shelf? 🤣

Can't make this shit up. My 181k rear shelf isn't faded, but your low mileage car is (or was, 5 years ago, even worse)? ahahahahahahaha 🤡
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Toby my boy you really gonna try and "roast" my "200k" car when yours isn't even garage kept and you have a faded rear shelf? 🤣

Can't make this shit up. My 181k rear shelf isn't faded, but your low mileage car is (or was, 5 years ago, even worse)? ahahahahahahaha 🤡

When I heard "Toby my boy..." I knew I was in for a special treat after that Castro exhaust post.

To keep this on topic, my car has grey interior but the PO kept it immaculate. I think constant upkeep with UV protective spray would work, or do a super light tint that protects from UV. I'm converting my whole interior to black soon, so I'm trying to figure out if I buy a new rear shelf or just dye my current one. Time will tell, but it's definitely in great shape.

Comment

Get some RIT dye at Michaels.

Pick up some model airplanes.

Do this shit outside because it's a damn mess.

Pour some scotch, single malt only.

Use a spray bottle or a sponge if you're poor.

Wear gloves.

Use entire bottle.

Of dye.

Then drink more scotch.

2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                my "200k" car
                Don’t forget, worth $15k with easy-bake oven ebay Porsche Boxster calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by R60BBA View Post
                  If you have restored or replaced your parcel shelf, I would be grateful if you could share your methods of protection, ie ceramic, fabric guard etc.
                  I sprayed mine with fabric color over a decade ago. My rear glass was ceramic tinted around the same time. It’s not faded since but it’s presumed because of the window tint and not the fabric spray being some ultra fade resistant formula. Good luck.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

How easy/hard is the shelf to remove? Last I checked, it required dismantling the rear seats and side bolsters. I wish there was a way to redye this in situ …

Air80 tint is something I’m considering for many reasons. One of which is: it might look pretty cool on LSB. If anyone has pics of this tint (or similar) on their car, please DM me. FWIW, I had Huper 70 on some of my cars and, although thick, it does an amazing job at cutting heat and UV. Remember kids, darker tint doesn’t mean exponentially more protection.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
                      How easy/hard is the shelf to remove? Last I checked, it required dismantling the rear seats and side bolsters. I wish there was a way to redye this in situ …

Air80 tint is something I’m considering for many reasons. One of which is: it might look pretty cool on LSB. If anyone has pics of this tint (or similar) on their car, please DM me. FWIW, I had Huper 70 on some of my cars and, although thick, it does an amazing job at cutting heat and UV. Remember kids, darker tint doesn’t mean exponentially more protection.
                      Its not very hard. You can just fold down the rear seats. Unclip the black plastic shoulder piece on the top of the bolsters. Take the plastic cover that runs along the back out. Remove c pillars, and unplug/unbolt the speakers. Then undo the seatbelt mounting underneath the bench seat so you can feed the seatbelt through the cutout in the parcel shelf, might have to pop the seat base out and slide it forward a bit to get to those bolts.

The worst part is just taking the c pillars out since they are pretty delicate and you can pretty easily unstick the fabric on them if you are too rough. The rest is just push pins and clips pretty much.
                      Last edited by Thoglan; 06-24-2022, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Just throwing it out there - I am dying my rear shelf because it's completely purple like the photo above as well.

On my 05, there was another center screw holding the shelf down that is not mentioned in ANY diy or video out there. In order to access it you must remove the speakers from the trunk and it's an 8mm screw from the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	248934

Comment

Thanks for the info. This is another item on my list of to dos on my '05.

Comment

Yeah it's not very hard but it is extremely time consuming just to get the shelf out. I had to take mine out to remove the rear tint, I thought it would take 10 min, it did not.
                            2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
                            2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
                            Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

Originally posted by Norocehcap View Post
                              Yeah it's not very hard but it is extremely time consuming just to get the shelf out. I had to take mine out to remove the rear tint, I thought it would take 10 min, it did not.
                              I already had my c pillar covers out. I hate removing those with all the brittle plastic clips and the lights. The rest of the job wasn't as bad as I expected.

It was interesting finding a mosaic of crumbling sound deadening under the rear seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X