Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Bogging During Autocross

Happy Saturday all!

I just got back and I was experiencing some issues with the engine bogging down on corner exit. Usually around 3.8k RPM, but there was a few times higher around 6k. Only 1 SMG related error code to boot as well. I think I figured out what my issue is, but I wanted to come here and see what everyone else thought of my conclusion or thoughts as well.

My initial thought for this was potentially a tune issue. My engine has been rebuilt, I am running a velocity stack setup on a MAP sensor, a modified exhaust, and a Walbro 255lph pump. Nothing too crazy. I initially thought the feeling was more similar to when the stacks were untuned and the car was bucking. On the drive home I was unable to replicate the issue which made me start looking elsewhere. To note, I started the day with a half a tank of gas. Maybe slightly under half. Also I was running with TC Full off.

Unfortunately I didn't take any good pictures of the course to show the amount of elevation change throughout, but we are in WV and its a very hilly place. Pretty much uphill or downhill the whole time. Today's layout featured quite a few relatively "high speed" right hand turns. These would either be combined with or followed by an uphill slope. These turns are where I noticed my issue most prominently. Along with the start, which was a slight uphill climb and I did get some bogging around the end of the day. So here were the few ideas I came up with on the drive home.

Potential Cause #1:
    SMG Error Code 59. I was having some issues with my clutch slave and using launch control. This has been a recurring issue for me but I decided to replace it after today just to be safe. This was only an issue at standstill, car shifted fine otherwise. I thought maybe it could be playing some games with the ECU and just causing the car to bog down because the slave was oscillating or something. This one was a stretch but I figured I would share it with you guys anyways.

Potential Cause #2:
    Rough Tune. Like I said earlier, this initially felt like when the stacks were untuned. I recently replaced both precat O2's and the tune was done with the lesser performing ones that came before. Presumably stock and the car has 172k on the chassis. I know nothing of how this would work, but I thought maybe this could have had my tune done based on poor information given or interpreted by these. I do have an independent wideband that we used for the tune. This was a little shaky, but I was willing to go with it for the time being. I believe that option 3 is the winner here though.

Potential Cause #3:
    Fuel Starvation. I've read about our cars having issues in sweeping right handers due to pump location. Although I didn't really think that this course setup would be fast enough to cause this issue. Although I started reading more into it and it seems like this really could be the culprit for my issue. I believe Buildjournal noted having this issue even more when switching to their Walbro pump. It made sense as I started seeing this issue more and more as the day went on. Starting around run 3, then getting unbearable and ruining times for the whole second session. Along with the locations I was seeing this issue made total sense to me and was kind of my eureka moment on the way home.

As for a solution, assuming I am right and that you guys agree. Obviously the simple and quick solution is do not run an event on half a tank of gas. I really wish I thought about this while I was there so I could test and avoid half of this post. The more thorough solution would be to setup a second pump on the driver side, like with bimmerworlds fuel starvation kit. My car is officially done with daily duty and she is on her way to becoming a pure autocross/track day car. So this will be something I will eventually take care of. This requires you to drill into the blocked off post on your OEM pump side unit. Mine has this piece broken off and had to be sealed up.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to create a new attachment point here? I would like to avoid spending more money on a whole unit if possible. My only guess is buying a separate plastic nipple and securing it to the housing. Although I would worry about having a tight seal and material durability coming in contact with fuel. (Heres a pic of the OEM housing with an attached nipple after being drilled open)

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks guys :P

If it's only on right hand turns, then it sounds like fuel starvation.

I get that on right hand turns on the track too when my tank gets to about half full. I've been trying to figure out why, but it's not a priority cause I can just quickly fill up and make it go away.

Quick thing to check is that the sucking jet pump is plugged into the sender on the driver's side. Part 3 on this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=16_0373
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Sounds like fuel starvation. If pump is original to the car then its due for a replacement. As mentioned above make sure the sucking jet pump on the left side is connected to the fuel pump the right side.

The fuel starvation kit works well.

But at half tank you shouldn’t need it.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
        But at half tank you shouldn’t need it.
        Agreed. I have an aftermarket fuel pump (like the OP), so it might be that. I'll have to swap in a stock one before my next track day to see if that fixes it.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info guys. I plan on messing with the car today so I’ll check to make sure that’s connected.

My fuel pump may have 5k miles on it. Buildjournal mentioned that 1/2 tank became an issue for them when moving away from from the stock pump.

My oem one died, so I lost any option of moving back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At half tank shows on the dash gauge, use the hidden display and read left and right tanks volume and if left is more than right then suction jet pump is weak due to an old weak fuepump.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
              At half tank shows on the dash gauge, use the hidden display and read left and right tanks volume and if left is more than right then suction jet pump is weak due to an old weak fuepump.
              Interesting, didn’t realize these values were split up. Do you know if the left/right values are available on CAN bus? Would be interesting to log.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                I've been monitoring mine and with half a tank of gas, the engine running and the car on flat ground, the left side always has significantly less fuel. Seems to be about an order of magnitude difference. The only picture I have shows 7.7 L left and 28.2 L right.

It makes sense that this is how it's supposed to work, as you want the side with the pump to have more fuel, but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

If this issue stems from the use of aftermarket fuel pumps (mine is an AEM 50-1200), then I would guess that it has more to do with the geometry of the pickup rather than the flow rate of the pump. The stock one has an angled pickup sock, so that it sits flat against the baffle in the tank, while most aftermarket ones do not. Also, the stock sock is bigger than the aftermarket ones. Seems to work totally fine for the street, but maybe it's not enough for actual hard driving?

The pictures in this article show the sock difference pretty clearly: https://thebuildjournal.com/diy/e46-...radium-sleeve/

Comment

Working...
                X