Power steering pump compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering pump compatibility

About 6 months ago while on track the reducer for the high pressure line on the steering pump loosened up and I managed to drain my power steering reservoir. The car lost power steering so I came in, diagnosed and fixed the problem. Added fresh ATF and ran the rest of the weekend no problem. The car has been fine since then. This past weekend the pump began whining at higher RPM and occasionally I will get harder than usually steering in the paddock (ie low rpm). The pump is on its way out. In researching replacements I have found some info that indicates the M54 power steering pump is essentially the same unit but missing a few brackets which can be swapped over from my original. The M54 pump is quite a bit cheaper so I'm hoping this is possible. Has anyone used the power steering pump form an M54 successfully on the S54?

realizing this was posted in the wrong section. Mods kindly move this?

Comment

They are not cross compatible. This was addressed on e46fanatics years ago. It would be nice to but you'll have to pay M tax this go round.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Several racers I know have gone to an electric pump from a European-Only Mercedes. It's plug and play. I hope to drive my friend's M3 equipped so at Road America later this year to determine if I'm going the same route. Drops a bit of weight from the car and takes away the stock pump drag on the engine.

Electro-hydraulic power steering pump. Regenerated pump. We provide a 24-month written warranty on our own reconditioned pump.

Feff
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
          Several racers I know have gone to an electric pump from a European-Only Mercedes. It's plug and play. I hope to drive my friend's M3 equipped so at Road America later this year to determine if I'm going the same route. Drops a bit of weight from the car and takes away the stock pump drag on the engine.

Electro-hydraulic power steering pump. Regenerated pump. We provide a 24-month written warranty on our own reconditioned pump.

Feff
          Plug and play?
          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

interesting. this thread seems to confirm this is possible? I suppose my first step should be to pull the original so I can lay eyes on it.

Comment

On the electric pump - I’ve seen this on track cars, but not street. I’d imagine the electrical load is a non trivial tax on the alternator/battery over time. On the street that part would concern me. Would love to be proven otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                On the electric pump - I’ve seen this on track cars, but not street. I’d imagine the electrical load is a non trivial tax on the alternator/battery over time. On the street that part would concern me. Would love to be proven otherwise!
                It's common swap here in Germany. I plan on doing this for my S54 swapped car e36.

I don't see any issues with it on electrical load. Its only activated when the car is started.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

It's common swap here in Germany. I plan on doing this for my S54 swapped car e36.

I don't see any issues with it on electrical load. Its only activated when the car is started.
                  nice! Is there a common setup that you find works best? Any threads or videos with details would be helpful if you have them.

I’ve seen two setups - one from Mercedes and the other from the Toyota MR2.

Comment

I do not know what the MR2 setup is like.

I have research intensively on the Mercedes setup.
                    it seems like a very simple system as it's an all in one system that make it very easy to mount and wire.

One caveat tho, the Mercedes w168 pumps at 71-75bars whiles the original pump is at 110bar @ idle. people with this setup often say that it's like driving a car with under pullies. The weight/feel is very similar to an E90.

​​​​​Here is what the pump looks like.

*edit* i do not know of any thread or videos. It is a very simple system as it need pressure hose and return, relay for power/ground and alternators *on*. Bracket to hold the unit should be very simple as well to.fabricate.
                    You will then remove the hydraulic pump and run a shorter belt.

​​​​​ ​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220627-223959.png Views:	0 Size:	418.0 KB ID:	173819
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ZiMMie; 06-27-2022, 01:35 PM.

Comment

This is fantastic. Much appreciate the knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                        They are not cross compatible. This was addressed on e46fanatics years ago. It would be nice to but you'll have to pay M tax this go round.
                        What about them is incompatible? In that m3cutters thread the OP says it runs no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

What about them is incompatible? In that m3cutters thread the OP says it runs no problem.
                          Ill update this thread once I buy and test this out. based on a lot of what I have read this should work.

Comment

M54 pump bolted in fine. no issues.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                              M54 pump bolted in fine. no issues.
                              I am about to replace my power steering pump. Does everything run fine after you installed the pump? Also, did you use OEM for the M54?
                              Last edited by MathewM3; 08-27-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X