No announcement yet.

Power steering pump compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

three track days since install (no street miles) and all is well.

Comment

I know the PS pulley on the S54 positioned further forward than the M54. I'd bet that the bracket is the only difference and the pump is the same.

I tried no PS at one point. I think the belt is from an 09 Mazda 3. I'll have to search for the part number.

Last edited by bigjae46; 09-03-2022, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I really want to believe the M54 and S54 pumps are the same minus the bracket, but I just don't see that considering the price delta. I wonder if there is some difference in the internal design or pressure relief valve?

I'm replacing an S54 pump soon, I'll crack it open along with an M54 and take some pics.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
          I really want to believe the M54 and S54 pumps are the same minus the bracket, but I just don't see that considering the price delta. I wonder if there is some difference in the internal design or pressure relief valve?

I'm replacing an S54 pump soon, I'll crack it open along with an M54 and take some pics.
          this interests me. I did not have the time to tear the old pump apart as I was trying to get the car ready for a track weekend. What I can say definitively is that the M54 pump bolted up no problem and the steering feels normal.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_121643.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	183498 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_121722_01.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	183499 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_121731.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	183500 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_121746.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	183501

Here is a few pictures of my old pump and the replacement aftermarket pump for the M54.

Comment

Since both m54 and s54 use the same steering racks, I doubt there are any differences internally. You can swap racks between cars, so I'd imagine the pump outputs are all the same.

Side note, I run an MR2 power steering pump in my track car (Honda). Not having to deal with an extra belt (Hondas run a separate belt for the PS pump) and can turn it on and off by a switch. You can also adjust the pump output, so you can get more or less PS effect. It's a fantastic setup. The Mercedes above works similarly. Volvo also makes a pump setup that is popular in the aftermarket and can be controlled via CAN.
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Are the Bosch units fine, or is this one of those parts that needs to be OE?
                Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  My OEM lasted 96K miles with making a noise for the last 5K. I used a Meyle from Pelican parts. My cousin in Germany has used an aftermarket pump without any issues. I will check what brand he went with and let you know.
                  Last edited by MathewM3; 09-07-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post

My OEM lasted 96K miles with making a noise for the last 5K. I used a Meyle from Pelican parts. My cousin in Germanyhas various used an aftermarket pump without any issues. I will check what brand he went with and let you know.
                    If you're worried about it failing again, just buy it from fcpeuro and do a free warranty exchange next time it breaks.
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

If you're worried about it failing again, just buy it from fcpeuro and do a free warranty exchange next time it breaks.
                      Good point, I didn't think of FCP for some reason.

I am not too worried about it failing

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

He used ZF , I think they are the oem manufacturer. Part number 32412229679.

Comment

Haven't installed yet but I ordered an X5 pump (32416757914) from schmiedmann since my pump was starting to whine when hot. Opted for the Meyle one since it seemed the best cost while still being an OE manufacturer just not for this part. Schmiedmann do have a 'trucktec' brand made pump for $100 but I've never heard of them and a quick search makes it sound like they are a low quality re-supplier. Either way $130 for a brand new meyle PS pump feels like pretty good value.

As above, appears to be identical to the original pump.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	u5cwREQ.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	204804 Click image for larger version

Name:	KvskIgf.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	204805

I'm tempted to open it up and have a look as well as compare the pressure regulators for science but I don't really want to disturb it with it being brand new and all.

Comment

george I know you’re a busy guy, but did you ever figure this one out?

You’re our last hope, obi-wan.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

I'm pretty certain they are the exact same pump. There are a couple guys on the M3cutters forum running them with no issue and MathewM3 never posted in this thread again so presumably his is going fine. I was going to go to a scrapyard prior to ordering mine and pull a ps pump off an X5 and pull it apart to be 100% sure before, but upon getting there someone had already taken the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

One of the differences is the outlet. I believe the non-Ms are a hose barb and the Ms have a flare fitting. But the pump itself is a positive displacement vane pump. The only performance difference would really be in the relief. Not unless the pump body is of a different size.

Comment

Working...
                                X