Rock Damage on Fender / Wheel Damage - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Damage on Fender / Wheel Damage - Need Advice

Murphy's law, so infuriating. My M3 has 52k miles. I drive it about 200-500 miles a year, maybe 5 or 6 times throughout the year. Generally its really clean, except the front bumper and front of the hood has a few rock chips. I've considered getting a respray but didnt want to lose the 'original paint'. I know I'm super paranoid but i love keeping my car near as perfect as I can.

I'm super paranoid and always park it far away and never daily drive it. I got a brand new set of ZCP wheels and tires 2 months ago and got them mounted and literally only drove it once cuz Ive been busy.

This weekend I took it on a road trip with some fam. Went to turn into a driveway and turned and turned too early and BANG. Curbed the right rear wheel.

I ended up calming down and just continued on my way. 2 hours later, a rock comes from nowhere and nails my fender. Of course it was bad enough to damage it.

Here's the damage for the wheel and fender. The wheel I think is easily repairable. It took a small chunk out of the pilot sport 4s, but they have lips that kind of stick out for this type of thing. the tire doesnt look compromised.

The fender, well the rock took out the paint. My thought was to get a PDR guy to take out the dent and I could just treat the paint with touch up and live with it. I had my PDR guy stop by today and he says the metal is likely stretched way too much and its a 50/50 if he can get it out. wants like 200 bucks for it

My grundy policy has a 100 dollar deductible. Was thinking maybe getting the fender repsrayed and I'm sure they'd have to blend it into the hood. Doing this kind of sucks though cuz now the paint becomes non original. Sigh.

Wondering if i did file a claim, would it fall under comprehensive? Would my rates go up? Any suggestions on how to handle?

Attached Files

A good PDR tech should be able to take that dent out. I've seen them take out much worse on other cars. Dr. Colorchip paint will fill in the nick and the rest of the rock chips on the hood and fenders without over filling the chips like regular touch up paint. Unless the wheel lip is bent, certain wheel refinishing shops can repair the curbed part and blend the paint on that small section where it looks 99% perfect. The tire needs to be checked in case it formed a bubble which is sometimes hard to tell without the tire getting up to temp (depends on the impact).

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      A good PDR tech should be able to take that dent out. I've seen them take out much worse on other cars. Dr. Colorchip paint will fill in the nick and the rest of the rock chips on the hood and fenders without over filling the chips like regular touch up paint. Unless the wheel lip is bent, certain wheel refinishing shops can repair the curbed part and blend the paint on that small section where it looks 99% perfect. The tire needs to be checked in case it formed a bubble which is sometimes hard to tell without the tire getting up to temp (depends on the impact).
      so no point in trying to file a claim and get it resprayed?

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post

so no point in trying to file a claim and get it resprayed?
        Original paint even with small rock chips, which can be filled in with Dr. Colorchip, is far better than a respray, IMO. It is hard to match the quality and durability of the factory paint - orange peel, color, defect-free finish, etc.

Comment

If you are as concerned with the car's value down the road as you seem to be, filing a claim is not a great idea, as you'll have a damage report / accident on the VIN for life.

I agree that looks like PDR could handle it, but if not then you're still better off just paying a decent body shop out of pocket to fix it. You'll be out a grand now, but having an insurance claim on a collector car can cost you more than that in resale value down the road.

Who knows what these cars will be worth in 10 years.
          2004 Dinan S3-R M3
          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Just to add, that's a $90 dollar ding in LA.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Time to upgrade to carbon fenders.

Comment

They can fix and touch that up. It won't be perfect but a lot less hassle than a respray especially on metallic.

Comment

thanks guys. my dent guy, at least the one ive used in the past was unsure and also said he would do it for 250. I felt that was a bit steep.

If you got some recommendations for dent guys in San fernando valley, let me know.

What do you think about the wheel? repairable? got any recommendations on wheel guys?

Comment

OP, that's gotta be super frustrating. I can't stand these types of events, first the curbing and then the rock, unbelievable.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but does the board have any recommendations for PDR in Northern California? A solid person who's tried and proven on the E46 chassis?

Comment

That's a $50 dent at any good PDR place. Less than an hour too.
                      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                        OP, that's gotta be super frustrating. I can't stand these types of events, first the curbing and then the rock, unbelievable.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but does the board have any recommendations for PDR in Northern California? A solid person who's tried and proven on the E46 chassis?
                        I used IG: dentpusher212 in Fairfield, CA he did great and charged me a fraction of the price compared to other
                        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                          That's a $50 dent at any good PDR place. Less than an hour too.
                          you guys say this but im getting quotes at 250 and its iffy if they can do it.

I did find a wheel guy for 75 bucks and he does the wheels for a bmw dealer

Comment

got a second quote from beach cities PDR for 250+/-.... So far im not finding anyone for less than that

Comment

You are getting quotes from the guys that don't want to do it. These are "if he is crazy to pay $250 for that, than I guess I'll do it" quotes.
                              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X