DIY: Header Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: DIY: Header Installation

I copied this from the old forums into a word, I did NOT create this. Some pictures such as good pictures of the 02 sensor connections under the beauty cover are not present, however this DIY is more about the header removal/installation than 02 sensor wiring.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cubieman; 03-23-2020, 09:01 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

I’m about to tackle this job in the coming week or two. What the consensus on running 02s with euro headers? Are we eliminating the two pre-cat 02s?

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

You would be eliminating the POST cat o2 sensors as well as the EGT sensor if you didn't have a place for them to go, which you will not on the euro headers.
      If you are going the euro header route you might consider getting a euro section 1 as well, that way you have a place for your post cat o2 sensors and EGT.
      However with a catted section 1 (euro) you have to relocate those 3 sensors, it's not that difficult, just time consuming.
      It took me another 4 hours to re-locate the 02 sensors/EGT to the Euro section 1 and make it look like a clean installation.
      The euro sec. 1 is nice because you wont throw any codes, no computer tweaking required there. But again you will spend some time relocating those 3 sensors to sec. 1.
      Last edited by Cubieman; 03-24-2020, 07:07 AM.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
        I’m about to tackle this job in the coming week or two. What the consensus on running 02s with euro headers? Are we eliminating the two pre-cat 02s?
        Precat o2 sensors are required for the car to run as they are part of the feedback closed loop right post combustion to tell the computer how rich/lean (afr) it's running. Post cat o2 sensors are there just to provide information on efficiency of the catalyst (the catalytic converter) which measures oxygen post all redox reactions that reduce pollutants. Whether you have a cat or not, you don't have to run the post cat o2 sensors but you need to disable the dtc (diagnostic trouble codes) that might pop up.

Hope this helps.
        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Does anyone have any tips for getting the header flange bolt holes to line up with the studs on the head? I have Agency Power headers that i'm installing and they currently dont fit over the studs. I traced the OEM header bolt pattern on a piece of wood and i think i might be able to nudge one of the AP header pipes enough such that the pattern lines up, but i'm not sure if this is the best course of action. Any tricks are appreciated.

Comment

Keep trying. There's no magic really. I lay on my back and feed both banks up and through, then start to hang them on the studs, having a nut ready to thread on to hold it while I move to the next bank.

Interestingly, the easiest headers fitment wise was some $100 ebay copycats lol. Then euro, then my ss v1s. u.s. fitment is perfect, but you've got the cats to deal with.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by slithershift View Post
              Does anyone have any tips for getting the header flange bolt holes to line up with the studs on the head? I have Agency Power headers that i'm installing and they currently dont fit over the studs. I traced the OEM header bolt pattern on a piece of wood and i think i might be able to nudge one of the AP header pipes enough such that the pattern lines up, but i'm not sure if this is the best course of action. Any tricks are appreciated.
              You are highlighting a quality issue with flanges on one of the runners not lining up? Did you contact the seller/distributor?
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

You are highlighting a quality issue with flanges on one of the runners not lining up? Did you contact the seller/distributor?
                It is a quality issue, but one that I half expected to encounter. It affects at least one runner on each bank. I knew that if i wanted great fitment, I would have to go OEM, if i wanted good fitment i'd have to go Supersprint or the like, and anything else is a roll of the dice. I did not contact the distributor, but I haven't given it the full college try yet.

Comment

so, what do you guys do with your stock header/catalytic? looking for a set here.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsFRNCs View Post
                    so, what do you guys do with your stock header/catalytic? looking for a set here.
                    Keep them to swap back and forth, 'cause California.
                    Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Keep them to swap back and forth, 'cause California.
                      Foreal! Wish you were in Socal. Woulda looked out for your help.

Comment

I have a set of Euro headers on their way. Since it didn't seem to be in the guide, what do wee do with post-cat O2 sensors and the EGT sensor if we run the US Sec 1? I am thinking we cap off the plug in the valve cover for the rear O2 sensors, but what about the EGT sensor?
                        2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                          I have a set of Euro headers on their way. Since it didn't seem to be in the guide, what do wee do with post-cat O2 sensors and the EGT sensor if we run the US Sec 1? I am thinking we cap off the plug in the valve cover for the rear O2 sensors, but what about the EGT sensor?
                          I just left my egt sensor plugged in
                          ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                          ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

What do you mean you left the EGT sensor plugged in? I’m under the impression there isn’t a bung for it I’m the euro design.
                            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                              What do you mean you left the EGT sensor plugged in? I’m under the impression there isn’t a bung for it I’m the euro design.
                              There is a spot on the Euro Sec. 1 for the EGT sensor, not on the headers themselves though.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X