PSA: Think twice before lowering your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: Think twice before lowering your car

I've been doing some suspension upgrades on my M3 and in the process taking lots of measurements. It has been a pretty eye-opening experience. All throughout my E46 ownership, I thought there was some small amount of lowering that will not result in a practical performance decrease. That's why I went with the Dinan spring/Koni shock combination, because it's viewed as a conservative upgrade.

As it turns out, lowering your car ALWAYS makes it worse. Unless you are working with a specially set up track-only car with modified chassis geometry, aerodynamics, etc, it will make your car less comfortable, worse handling, and less practical (all else being equal).

Why is that?

Travel
    The E46 M3 only has a small amount of suspension travel. On a stock car in the front, you only have about 1/2-inch before the strut touches the bump stop. This is normal and there are a number of reasons for doing it. It's BMW's way of creating a progressive spring and a "flat" handling car, minimize camber loss, plus probably to meet specific government handling requirements. Stock ride height up front is 14.25" from the hub center to the fender edge on my '05. By going to a "conservative" 13.75", it's now resting on the bump stop before you even encounter a bump.

Here you can see a graphic of the strut body (yellow), stock bump stop (green) at stock ride height. Koni Sport shocks are the same length as stock, or at least within a few mm.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-29 235903.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	174120

Here you can see what a Koni/Dinan setup looks like while just sitting there...

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-30 004145.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	174122

Many aftermarket shocks are shorter, so that lowering can occur without immediately running on the bump stop. For example, the KW V3 strut is a full inch shorter! Here you can see how it looks at the same stock ride height. They also use a different bump stop geometry.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-30 000621.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	174121

Of course, there is a practical limit to how short you can make the strut before you actually need it to hit the bump stop, and prevent your wheel from crashing into the fender. This number is going to vary based on your particular wheel/tire specs and alignment, so it's hard to say what that limit is. On my car, that number is 11.5 inches from the hub center to fender lip. At that point, the wheel hits the inner fender. (stock alignment, 18x8.5 et38 with 245/40 PS4S).

So as you can see, absolute theoretical maximum travel is only 14.25" - 11.5" = 2.75". In reality, the max it can achieve while still allowing some buffer is about 12". So 2.25 inches of travel. It's not much! By lowering your car that "conservative" 1/2", you've given up almost 25% of the available travel!

I focused mostly on the front here, because the MacPherson strut is such a fickle design. The rear has some more travel available (but still only around 3 inches).

Ride comfort
    It should be no surprise that by reducing travel, you're going to encounter the bump stop more frequently on bumpy roads. This transition and increase in spring rate will give the car a "crashy" feeling. I know for me personally, I felt as though I was hurting my car because it constantly was sending shockwaves through the chassis as the bump stop was just being pummeled. There were several roads here in California that I simply avoided because it was so unpleasant.

Practicality
    I don't know about you guys, but even with a stock height M3 you have to think about parking curbs, driveways, speed bumps. As soon as you start lowering, you'll find yourself scraping on so many more things.

Handling
    As I mentioned earlier, the MacPherson strut is a fickle design that is mostly chosen due to cost. It's a fantastic design when properly engineered, but suffers from a "roll center" change when you start lowering your car. This is well documented and there are plenty of remedies or compromises to reduce it. Basically - as you start lowering the car you start increasing the amount of body roll. The effects of a lower center-of-gravity are quickly negated by a body that rolls, camber that is lost, and it has effects on your steering feel.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. I've decided to raise my car back up to stock height and enjoy all the benefits it brings, even though it looks dorky.

Quality post and I’m an older guy but I don’t care about comfort or practicality because I have other cars for that. Cobra going to be hollering for kids to get off his lawn from his rocking chair while dreaming of his quiet exhaust

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Yeah, my car is pretty much stock height (+- corner balance). It's just better for everything-- comfort, handling, scraping, camber curve, roll centers, bump steer.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This is why when you look closely at a BMW chassis that is used for racing, they raise the pick up points of the suspension the amount they lower the car. Suspensions are designed and engineered at a certain static ride height and settings. ANYWHERE away from this degrades the response that we are looking for.

T

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          They also use a different bump stop geometry.
          Welcome to the world of bump stop tuning! The geometry/shape and material will affect the behavior of the bump stop when compressed.
          Because of the McP strut is more-or-less (for better-or-worse) becoming the de facto front suspension, the OE's are putting soft front springs for ride, then tuning the bump stops to suit their needs.

Bump stops are not all the same. A good bump stop manufacturer will publish Force-Displacement info on their bump stops. I attached info from Koni and Penske.
          If you are a believer in the Flat Ride concept, then the bump stop is critical to how your car will behave at the limits.

Click image for larger version  Name:	koni bumpgralarge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	174130 Click image for larger version

Name:	penske.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	174131

Comment

I’ve always felt like this car is low enough, almost too low actually (judging by the extra effort this older guy has to exert getting in and out of it). Not to mention the abused front bumper I still haven’t gotten around to replacing. Since I have other cars and drive this one the least, I don’t worry so much about it. But I’m definitely not looking to lower it.

maw

Comment

I lowered my car right about that conservative amount (not as low as others go) to balance performance and cosmetics. I simply dislike the looks of the stock fender gaps. I recognize this impedes the geometry(-ies) built around stock ride heights, and compromies elsewhere, but it's not a massive degradation in performance with a properly setup coilover.

Also, damper quality plays a big role here too. It's like hifi audio. Doesn't matter how many watts you have if that first watt is crap.
              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

My findings exactly. I added a 1/2” shim to my Dinan front springs above the spring hats to bring travel back to stock levels. My tired bump stops measured 1” of free travel before hitting the bump stops with the 1/2” spacers. New front bump stops are next up on the list as the tired ones are partially collapsed from the previous owner’s lowering spring install.

For the rears, I did this (also measuring 1” free travel on my Dinan springs and 5mm spring pads):
                Click image for larger version  Name:	66F95EBA-9A1C-402A-B912-724D25A21B36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	174144
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2443AD3B-65CE-40D8-BC6E-FDEF86150084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	174142
                Last edited by Bry5on; 06-30-2022, 06:53 AM.
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Welcome to the world of bump stop tuning! The geometry/shape and material will affect the behavior of the bump stop when compressed.
                  Because of the McP strut is more-or-less (for better-or-worse) becoming the de facto front suspension, the OE's are putting soft front springs for ride, then tuning the bump stops to suit their needs.

Bump stops are not all the same. A good bump stop manufacturer will publish Force-Displacement info on their bump stops. I attached info from Koni and Penske.
                  If you are a believer in the Flat Ride concept, then the bump stop is critical to how your car will behave at the limits.

Click image for larger version Name:	koni bumpgralarge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	174130 Click image for larger version

Name:	penske.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	174131
                  Absolutely! My personal opinion (coming from the motorcycle world) is the bump stop should be used as just that - a bump stop. Using it has an active suspension component generates rather progressive spring rates. Those progressive spring rates are not matched by progressive (position sensitive) damping. I think of that feeling when driving hard in a corner, and the car starts feeling 'bouncy' because the ride frequency just doubled and the damper can't control things. On an electronic-suspension this can be addressed to some degree.

Also my opinion, but I am not sold on the Flat Ride concept. It is based on 2 justifications: referencing OE vehicle parameters (which are compromised), and "fast settling" (which only applies in one very specific vehicle speed/damping situation). I have run a rear-bias stiffness and I'm not in love with the feeling or handling. It feels as though it pivots around the rear while I prefer something more balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                    My findings exactly. I added a 1/2” shim to my Dinan front springs above the spring hats to bring travel back to stock levels. My tired bump stops measured 1” of free travel before hitting the bump stops with the 1/2” spacers. New front bump stops are next up on the list as the tired ones are partially collapsed from the previous owner’s lowering spring install.

For the rears, I did this (also measuring 1” free travel on my Dinan springs and 5mm spring pads):
                    Click image for larger version Name:	66F95EBA-9A1C-402A-B912-724D25A21B36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	174144
                    Click image for larger version Name:	2443AD3B-65CE-40D8-BC6E-FDEF86150084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	174142
                    Fascinating. Did you change anything in the rear? What did you feel from shimming the front up?

The rear Dinan springs are pretty nice - linear rate 475lb/in, and barely lower it (only 3/8").
                    The fronts are too short and too soft. They are only 175lb/in and lower it anywhere from 5/8" to 7/8". They should be more in the 250-300 range, but.... then that wouldn't have worked from a packaging standpoint since they already have 0 preload, and the stock fixed spring perch would not accommodate a helper spring. Shortening their travel internally could have been a solution, but I am 99% sure the Dinan Konis are just regular off-the-shelf Konis.

Comment

Yeah I'm still gonna drop my shit.

And lol @ the scraping, don't ever drive any real sports cars guys.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

You can lower the car almost a full inch without reducing travel FYI
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                          Yeah I'm still gonna drop my shit.

And lol @ the scraping, don't ever drive any real sports cars guys.
                          I mean, to each his own. A lowered car definitely looks better I'm not arguing that 😄. Everyone has different priorities.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          You can lower the car almost a full inch without reducing travel FYI
                          That does not make sense. There is physically only 2-3 inches of bump travel. If you remove an inch, you now have that much less travel (all else being equal).

Comment

stack height aka mounting point
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Yea I'm not un-modding my car to make it more comfortable.

Also exactly why I have multiple cars.
                              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                              2005 BMW ///M3
                              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X