ICE mode on track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

I was at the same event. Was it in Turn 5 right/soon after the racers ran?
    Did someone dump fluids?

Most people with MK60s don't have issues with ICE mode, so that does seem like a reasonable explanation (ice like conditions).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I was at the same event. Was it in Turn 5 right/soon after the racers ran?
      Second session first day. I was in blue only black group ran before us.

If there was wheels slipping/locking I would see it in data. Plenty of other cases where I hit ABS or DSC and I can see the wheel speed trace go nuts.

This was definitely not normal ABS intervention. I’m fully aware of what ABS feels like and used to the pedal feel when it happens. The pedal would not move at all.

Wish I knew you were there!

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Second session first day. I was in blue only black group ran before us.

If there was wheels slipping/locking I would see it in data. Plenty of other cases where I hit ABS or DSC and I can see the wheel speed trace go nuts.

This was definitely not normal ABS intervention. I’m fully aware of what ABS feels like and used to the pedal feel when it happens. The pedal would not move at all.

Wish I knew you were there!
        I was in Black group. As you know it was spitting rain on-and-off Saturday. I had no traction issues other than some odd squirm in T5 that was from race rubber layers and an occasional howl in T1 at the very limit. The track was exceptional for grip on Sunday. I did two Green sessions due to Black having reduced sessions to fit the race. Great sessions all day.
        Last edited by Estoril; 07-18-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Heading into the Chute for whatever reason seems to be prone to fluid spills. Doesn't sound like that was your issue, but I've been in the grass there at least twice because of another car's fluids. Thankfully there is grass to run off into. I've also been in the trees at the end of the long straight heading into 1 due to catastrophic brake failure. That sucked.
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you disable ice mode on a MK20 somehow? This has been kind of a silent elephant in the room for my own build, trying to decide what approach to take. Upgrading to MK60 is a pretty decent expense and I'm just wondering if there are any other ways to go about this.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you disable ice mode on a MK20 somehow? This has been kind of a silent elephant in the room for my own build, trying to decide what approach to take. Upgrading to MK60 is a pretty decent expense and I'm just wondering if there are any other ways to go about this.
              FWIW I tracked an E46 M alot with the MK20 and never got into ICE mode. This was my first experience with it.

Also I would like to say that while it scares the crap out of me the car did go in the grass but no damage was done. I kept on sending it and was fine the rest of the weekend.

I’ll throw up some data traces when I get back to a laptop.

Comment

Yea I'm not super hung up on it, I just get to thinking every time someone posts about it, wandering down the rabbit hole.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

For those that like looking at data. You can see that I applied the brake smoothly, you can see brake pressure build up at the MC (these pressures are coming from the factory sensors). So its not like I jammed on the brakes suddenly. You will notice the wheel speed traces go nuts but that isnt until I am off track and in the grass where slippage would be expected.

Initial braking point (fairly early for T5):
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.47.04 AM.png
Views:	306
Size:	916.7 KB
ID:	176739

First indication of wheel spin:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.48.09 AM.png
Views:	323
Size:	715.4 KB
ID:	176740

Blue line on the map will show you where the car was during these events.

Comment

I'll note that the position plot (L to R) suggests you were offline on the left painted curbs in the braking zone for T5.

Comment

I'll note that the position plot (L to R) suggests you were offline on the left painted curbs in the braking zone for T5.
                      The map overlay isn't the most accurate. Its not in the screenshots above but looking at the T1 trace it says that I basically hopped the curb and completely cut the T1 corner which I think I would remember .

The ICE mode kicked in on initial brake input way before the painted curbs in T5.

Comment

The map overlay isn't the most accurate. Its not in the screenshots above but looking at the T1 trace it says that I basically hopped the curb and completely cut the T1 corner which I think I would remember .

The ICE mode kicked in on initial brake input way before the painted curbs in T5.
                        Yeah - I didn't assume that the L-R plot was necessarily accurate. Did you have this problem in any other turns? T5 isn't a threshold braking turn. As I said - I had a single braking deviation there Sat. AM and just changed my line right a bit and never felt it again. After the rain I went back to my normal line and never had an issue again. Which tires? OEM sizes?

Comment

Yeah - I didn't assume that the L-R plot was necessarily accurate. Did you have this problem in any other turns? T5 isn't a threshold braking turn. As I said - I had a single braking deviation there Sat. AM and just changed my line right a bit and never felt it again. After the rain I went back to my normal line and never had an issue again. Which tires? OEM sizes?
                          Nah only had the issue once in T5. Every other turn was fine. Tires are square 265/35/18 Hankook RS4.

Comment

Nah only had the issue once in T5. Every other turn was fine. Tires are square 265/35/18 Hankook RS4.
                            Since I also had the issue in the same turn/same day - which was cured by changing my line ~18", you might consider the probability that someone dropped fluid there. I took any line I wanted Sunday and never saw it again.

Comment

Fast forward over a year later and this issue still plagues me every time I am on a push lap going into T5. Similar trace as above nothing really pops out to me as a root cause other than the rears starting to lock up which is expected when braking hard downhill.

Name:	image.png
Views:	159
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	235484

Comment

Are you out on Main this weekend with NCC?

Comment

Working...
                                X