VANOS Plan of Attack? | Broken Exhaust Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VANOS Plan of Attack? | Broken Exhaust Hub

Over the weekend I was installing a new valve cover gasket while trying to chase down a nasty oil leak thats been dripping on my headers for a while. While in there, I decided to do a quick visual inspection of the VANOS and it looks like i have a broken tab. The other one is still fine…but I know that means I’m on borrowed time.

I’ve spent the last two days reading and searching and there’s a million routes I could go. I’m looking for input on the reasonable amount of parts I should replace and address right now. Also, I’m utterly confused on Beisan hub is only $400 but the one from Dr. Vanos is $800/$750???

From what I’ve read thus far, at a minimum I need to replace the exhaust hub and the oil pump disk (it looks damaged from the broken tab). I don’t have any symptom or misfires or rattles right now, but i am at 103k miles on the engine.

What is really necessary while I’m in there? Any other items that might go due to metal fatigue like I’m seeing on this exhaust hub…particularly those that might cause catastrophic engine failure? I want to do the important stuff now.

lastly, anyone make a replacement for that hard line with the impossible banjo bolt on the valve cover? It’s such a PITA while doing the valve cover gasket I’m dreading taking it apart every again…impossible to align
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CB0A6B96-5417-4E97-B7F9-725BF55E4539.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	176569

Name:	41B9BF20-F9BF-493E-95BD-CF7AA44AFAA8.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	176568

Name:	42AB722B-1E7E-46D0-891B-5974CCB15BDB.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	176567
    Attached Files

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
    lastly, anyone make a replacement for that hard line with the impossible banjo bolt on the valve cover? It’s such a PITA while doing the valve cover gasket I’m dreading taking it apart every again…impossible to align
    Can't comment on the dr vanos vs beisan stuff, but can help with this. Start that banjo bolt before tightening down the valve cover and get it finger tight. Torque once the valve cover is all torqued down. Much easier to get it on that way.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Can't comment on the dr vanos vs beisan stuff, but can help with this. Start that banjo bolt before tightening down the valve cover and get it finger tight. Torque once the valve cover is all torqued down. Much easier to get it on that way.
      i actually tried that route first. i read online that it was the easier way to approach it. but for some odd reason, that was even worse. what eventually worked was getting the cover on, torquing it to spec THEN i was able to get the bolt in...but barely. thankfully it threaded in by hand then tightened with a wrench but it wasnt easy.

Comment

Same thing happened to my M3. I went with the Dr Vanos hub cryo treated stock hub because it was the only option at the time. Go with the beisan hub and oil pump disc, a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          Same thing happened to my M3. I went with the Dr Vanos hub cryo treated stock hub because it was the only option at the time. Go with the beisan hub and oil pump disc, a lot cheaper.
          I emailed photos and a description of my issue last night to Beisan and they almost immediately emailed me back with answers and suggested parts to address the fix ...along with some DIY/tutorials. They seem to really have their stuff together!

They suggested the following things:
          S54 Vanos Seals Repair Kit Item # BS021
          S54 Vanos Rattle Repair Kit Item # BS022
          S54 Vanos Oil Pump Disk Item # BS025
          S54 Exhaust Sprocket Hub Item # BS027(only necessary if either tab is damaged or broken off)
          S54 Exhaust Upper Chain Guide Item # BS026
          S54 Rebuilt Vanos Solenoid Coil Pack Item # BS023
          S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit Item # BS024
          S54/S62 Vanos Rattle Tools Item # BS095

Comment

The vanos seals and rattle repair kits are optional depending on your car's condition.
            Definitely do the upper chain guide and sealing plate.

Comment

I’ve spent the last two days reading and searching and there’s a million routes I could go. I’m looking for input on the reasonable amount of parts I should replace and address right now. Also, I’m utterly confused on Beisan hub is only $400 but the one from Dr. Vanos is $800/$750???

From what I’ve read thus far, at a minimum I need to replace the exhaust hub and the oil pump disk (it looks damaged from the broken tab).
              Keep the oil pump disk, but send it to Beisan to have new smaller holes drilled. Don't exchange for a pre-drill unit but keep your original disk.
              For the EX broken hub, I would buy one on Ebay for around $250.

As the about the metal drain tube, I stuffed the cave with tissue paper to avoid the crush washers falling in, then no issue to thread the banjo bolt at all with my hand - left or right -- once the VC was torqued down.

Comment

Upgrade your failure-prone S54 VANOS exhaust camshaft hub, upgrade the VANOS oil pressure hose, and replace VANOS filter/gaskets/hardware.

VAC hub is good. Unlike most people who hate, I've ran mine for 20k miles. It does great and the play is gone. Do not buy another stock one. Keep your oil disk. The price you would pay for a redrilled disk and stock hub is more than an upgraded one. Heck, my oil disk is a little bashed up from the original failing but the VAC fit perfectly. I linked a kit through Bimmerworld because they're currently my favorite seller at the moment. Probably the best customer service put of any online parts retailers. You can get the disk for $600 at Turnermotorsports but I wouldn't trust them. Beisan Systems is where it's at.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I emailed photos and a description of my issue last night to Beisan and they almost immediately emailed me back with answers and suggested parts to address the fix ...along with some DIY/tutorials. They seem to really have their stuff together!

S54 Exhaust Sprocket Hub Item # BS027(only necessary if either tab is damaged or broken off)
                  To be fair that is throwing the book at it so I wouldn't say that's exactly knowing their stuff. That's every possible relevant product that they sell for the S54.

You'll need S62 spring/pressure plate for the anti rattle fix (which given you've listed the tool implies you're doing that).

You'll also need some washers and the sprocket sleeve bolts to do the full repair

Check their procedure guide. It is very detailed and lists all the extra parts needed as well as the tools.

I didn't have good luck with the Beisan solenoid coil pack. Clips all broken and the glue used was rubbish and the cover fell straight off. I decided to keep my original one.

And in hindsight I definitely would have had my own original oil pump disk machined rather than use their replacment.

Comment

If car had no rattling noise or other issue, then skip the Bolded items. Why open a can of worms?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                      If car had no rattling noise or other issue, then skip the Bolded items. Why open a can of worms?
                      Yep. Even then my understanding is that the rattle is just a rattle. So if you don't care about the noise you can leave it. I hadn't even noticed it on mine except during the DIS VANOS test. It certainly did fix it though.

Comment

This is a templated response.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

I figured as much given ALL the parts listed/suggested. But in their defense, in my email i did ask them what they suggested i address while i had the system open and taken apart for the exhaust hub fix…

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

True, the BS027 line certainly gives that away

Comment

Working...
                            X