S54 Rebuild - Original Went Critical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayVee View Post

LiquiMoly is quality stuff, Both of my M cars get it, as does my diesel X5.

I believe you just answered all your curiosity. The red dot on the coolant gauge is simply the critical temperature. Anything to the right of 210*F middle mark for extended periods of time, (Including track days) is not okay. Your car was overheating and 100% caused the bearing failure.
    I think you’re confused. 210f oil temp is perfectly fine. 210f coolant temp is high but not even in the red zone on the coolant gauge.

Both Castrol and liquimoly oils are good up to 300F. The oil temp gauge maxes out at 300F.

Comment

One thing that jumped out at me from your first post is mentioning Maxpeedingrods connecting rods. Their suspension is garbage and I can't imagine their engine internals are any better... if someone can prove me wrong I'd love to hear
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        One thing that jumped out at me from your first post is mentioning Maxpeedingrods connecting rods. Their suspension is garbage and I can't imagine their engine internals are any better... if someone can prove me wrong I'd love to hear
        I'm sure that they're sourced from China (just like Molnar rods), but I think I'd still trust Tom Molnar's rods before Maxpeeding anyway...especially for pretty much the same price. Tom used to work for Oliver, then left and started K-1 (IIRC), then started a company under his own name. Never really heard anything bad about Molnar, and they offer a lightweight NA rod option as well.

Comment

As a commercial nuclear operator, the title of this post makes me giggle every time I read it.

That being said, good luck with your repair and hope you are ripping around at 8k in no time.

Mike
          02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
          11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
          16 X5

Comment

Working...
          X