OEM M-Texture up-close comparison with ASC Fabrics Reproduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM M-Texture up-close comparison with ASC Fabrics Reproduction

I had someone ask me a while ago if I had any photos of the two fabrics side by side and how close they were. I just picked up a full set of m-texture door cards for $60 which seemed like a good deal even though I don't need them but I thought they would make for an interesting comparison with the ASC fabric given they are in average/decent condition. The ASC Fabrics material I have is from mid 2020 when I did my recaros so it's possible more recent batches are a closer match. I would be curious to see if someone with a more recent batch of ASC stuff can post a comparison as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TO0Zx5k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	177065
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lXJ7Q88.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	177066
    When seen at an angle the alcantara portion seems to be a really good match. But when seen straight on and up-close there are definitely some differences.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mpePUmP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	177067
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cRNR9w5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	177068
    I think the biggest difference is the colour of the backing on the reproduction fabric is too light, almost has a blue-ish hue to it, while the OEM stuff is a dark grey. The thickness of the thread is also different so the texture underneath is obvious up close. The colour difference in the alcantara is largely due to age and sun exposure I think since under the correct light they are very similar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	atQsa1r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	177069Click image for larger version  Name:	LNlQVZY.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.1 KB ID:	177070
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3glM2rT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	177071 Click image for larger version  Name:	yJgl0Ev.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	177072

Would be really interesting to source some new OEM material to compare to the ASC stuff to see how much of the darker backing is as a result of age as well. But fundamentally is seems like the weave underneath is wrong.

All that being said, when just using the material to do a bucket seat as I have the differences end up being not so significant since you pretty much always see the fabric perpendicular to the OEM stuff or from a distance (front to backseat for instance). Photo below is my ASC fabric recaros next to an OEM door card. But those differences become more obvious on cars that have had a full retrim which never look OEM imo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36724.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	177087
    Last edited by Thoglan; 07-22-2022, 07:48 PM.

I love that fabric. I want to do the door panels and seats in my E90 M3 but not sure I want to tear into my manual speed cloth seats.

Comment

Would you sell me the door cards? 😂
      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

It's not perfect but it's damn close. If you didn't have them side by side, I doubt anyone would ever know.

Thanks for the comparison!

Comment

Those seats are... *chef's kiss*
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Love that interior!

Comment

How much should I expect to pay to get this interior done on my coupe?

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                It's not perfect but it's damn close. If you didn't have them side by side, I doubt anyone would ever know.
                Thanks for the comparison!
                Agreed, thanks for comparison Thoglan. Well detailed.

Also agreed, unless you’re passed out in back seat with eyeball against the material I don’t think anyone would know. It looks just like the plaid it looked like before.
                Last edited by old///MFanatic; 07-24-2022, 10:02 AM.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
                  How much should I expect to pay to get this interior done on my coupe?
                  You’re going to need 5-6 yards of fabric for a full interior conversion and ASC’s price for the fabric keeps going up, so figure ~$1700 for the necessary yardage right now. I’d guess any seriously good upholsterer is going to charge you at least $4k for the labor on top of that.

Comment

Sheesh….

Comment

Sheesh….
                      Agreed with interlagos, prohibitively expensive imo. And tbh I have yet to see a retrimmed mtex interior that looked right. They all look kind of off for some reason. Not sure whether that's the small differences in the fabric becoming more obvious when used to replicate the OEM stuff or just a difference in the quality of the upholsterer. For me there is definitely value in an OEM set over a retrimmed set.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                        Agreed with interlagos, prohibitively expensive imo. And tbh I have yet to see a retrimmed mtex interior that looked right. They all look kind of off for some reason. Not sure whether that's the small differences in the fabric becoming more obvious when used to replicate the OEM stuff or just a difference in the quality of the upholsterer. For me there is definitely value in an OEM set over a retrimmed set.
                        The m texture interiors that bmwrestoredseats makes look pretty much perfect to me. Closest match to factory I've seen. But, like you said, extremely expensive.

12K Followers, 837 Following, 534 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Joni DaSilva (@bmwrestoredseats)
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

The m texture interiors that bmwrestoredseats makes look pretty much perfect to me. Closest match to factory I've seen. But, like you said, extremely expensive.

https://instagram.com/bmwrestoredseats
                          They always use a weird piece of black vinyl on the sides of the adjustable leg bolsters that sticks out like a sore thumb forever once you see it. Something about the new black leather they use when reupholstering never looks right to me either.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post

You’re going to need 5-6 yards of fabric for a full interior conversion and ASC’s price for the fabric keeps going up, so figure ~$1700 for the necessary yardage right now. I’d guess any seriously good upholsterer is going to charge you at least $4k for the labor on top of that.
                            Any idea how much I would need for the 2 front seats? Trying to find a way to lessen the damage.

Comment

Any idea how much I would need for the 2 front seats? Trying to find a way to lessen the damage.
                              Doing just two front seats would look weird in an otherwise black interior imo. And like I said earlier, retrims rarely look as good as you imagine especially if you're trying to emulate OEM. If you're doing something custom like nogaros or recaros it works since it's not trying to be OEM.

I would save some money aside and hold out for an OEM set to come up again and snag it even if it's rough. M-texture cleans up a lot easier and a lot cleaner than most people realise.
                              Last edited by Thoglan; 08-01-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X