Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger side mirror facing ground when in reverse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger side mirror facing ground when in reverse?

Hey guys, as we all know the passenger side mirror tilts downwards to facilitate parking in reverse. Great idea and all but mine faces the ground when it does. It's a useless view. Isn't it supposed to stop at maybe the rear fender/wheel? I called a very reputable BMW shop about this a few years ago and they seemed to have never heard of an issue with it or how to program it to not tilt down as much. It's not really a problem as I can direct the mirror the way I want or have the feature off completely by moving the control switch where it doesn't move in reverse. It's just more out of curiosity at this point.

Thanks

I thought that was the norm? Mine faces the ground when it tilts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
      I thought that was the norm? Mine faces the ground when it tilts as well.
      So if this is the norm that's fine, but what help is looking at the ground when parking? Lol

Comment

Can't you disable that function by simply moving the side mirror button to the right? That works in my 02 M5.
        Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Better than mine. Mine points to the sky when I go in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post
            Can't you disable that function by simply moving the side mirror button to the right? That works in my 02 M5.
            Correct.

Comment

What happens if you put it in reverse, let it tilt finish then run the mirror adjustment to your preferred position and hit the seat memory key? For my Audi I actually had to set the mirror tilt position myself so curious whether this might be the case for the M too as I haven't tested this.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by 05CherryM3 View Post

So if this is the norm that's fine, but what help is looking at the ground when parking? Lol

It doesn't facilitate parking. It is meant to keep you from curbing your wheels on a curb.

Comment

The amount it dips is set per key like the seat memory. I thought it was supposed to just remember what you set when in reverse but I know I have a key that goes way too far and that doesn't seem to work. That's a key I made by reading the EWS and programming the key transponder myself. Should be the same as buying a key from the dealer.

The manual just says talk to the dealer about it. So maybe could be fixed with DIS or INPA?
                  Last edited by Shonky; 07-23-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

There's an option you can set in the seat/mirror memory module with ncs expert that lets you adjust what it goes to. You just need to put the car in reverse, adjust the mirror and the car will remember that position for next time.

Default behavior is that the mirror will dip all the way down with the mirror switch to the left and will not move with the mirror switch to the right. With the option enabled, the opposite is true. No movement when the switch is to the left and movement when the switch is to the right.

Let me dig around real quick and try to find the option to set.

Edit: You need to set MEMORY_SPIEGELABKLAPPEN to aktiv in both the BTM and FTM modules.
                    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 07-23-2022, 09:47 AM.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                      There's an option you can set in the seat/mirror memory module with ncs expert that lets you adjust what it goes to. You just need to put the car in reverse, adjust the mirror and the car will remember that position for next time.

Default behavior is that the mirror will dip all the way down with the mirror switch to the left and will not move with the mirror switch to the right. With the option enabled, the opposite is true. No movement when the switch is to the left and movement when the switch is to the right.

Let me dig around real quick and try to find the option to set.

Edit: You need to set MEMORY_SPIEGELABKLAPPEN to aktiv in both the BTM and FTM modules.
                      I'm going to try this, mine goes down all the way as well, would prefer somewhere in the middle.
                      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

I'm going to try this, mine goes down all the way as well, would prefer somewhere in the middle.
                        It's one of the best comfort/practicality changes I've made to the car. Made the mirror tilting feature go from "this is completely useless" to "how would I ever park without this".
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Anyone know why my mirror points up instead of down when in reverse?

Comment

I miss the reverse mirror memory feature when I drive other cars.

With that said, it stopped functioning correctly no matter what I did. I was ready to replace the mirror module, but I replaced the battery that was getting weak, and things are back to normal now. Yay!
                            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
                              Anyone know why my mirror points up instead of down when in reverse?
                              Possibly simply that's where it thinks you want it. Remember it doesn't actually dip when you are in reverse. What it does is move to another preset position. That could be up down left or right.

So like others here you probably need to figure out how to save a new preset location.

Comment

Working...
                              X