Headlight trim installation tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight trim installation tips?

The paint on both my headlight trim pieces started to come off recently. (poorly prepped before paint, it seems)
    I decided to take advantage of the situation and buy 2 new panels, except for a vehicle without the headlight cleaning system.

I dropped them off at the painter yesterday, but I am looking for some advice on how to install them when they come back.
    The issue I've always had with the car is them never sitting flush, see the image below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-08-16_20-51-55.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	180815

Pushing on it hard doesn't seem to help at all...

Image from Google of how it should be:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5a9394a280d555f568fee875332cf34e.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	180816

So yeah, anyone knows how to get this to sit flush?
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

I don't know how you'd get them to be tighter to the fender, but I know that the tab that that they attach to can get bent, so if (once installed) they protrude a little beyond the fender, you can bend that tab inwards a little. Or vice versa.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks, I have that same situation and I'll be trying this as well

Comment

If you're deleting headlamp washers, make sure to pull the fuse for them too. Did this exact same thing for my car, looks far better, much easier to install.
        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
          If you're deleting headlamp washers, make sure to pull the fuse for them too. Did this exact same thing for my car, looks far better, much easier to install.
          The system has been disabled forever, and I agree, looks much better without.
          E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
          E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
          E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Working...
          X