Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current situation

Comment

It's hard to see, but do you have spacers under the injector?

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
        It's hard to see, but do you have spacers under the injector?
        So I looked at the previous posts closer and ordered those spacers. They should be here next week. Praying that this solves the issue 🙏🏼

Comment

fwiw I had a similar issue as you. Replacing the gaskets on my Bosch style injectors solved the issue
          ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
          ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Injector spacers to fix the injector sitting too low like Martyn mentioned. I had the same problem and my afr was an entire point too rich to compensate for the vacuum leak after I fixed the spacing.

Proper

Spacer is McMaster part #96025A314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Injector spacers to fix the injector sitting too low like Martyn mentioned. I had the same problem and my afr was an entire point too rich to compensate for the vacuum leak after I fixed the spacing.

Proper

Spacer is McMaster part #96025A314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              with the injectors sitting a tad higher was the radium rail able to be bolted in fine or did you have to modify the mounting position?

Comment

I installed the spacers, the injectors are no longer protruding too deep, but I can not bolt down the stock fuel rail. About to order the radium now 🥲

Comment

I just went though this entire install using Bosch 550cc EV14 injectors, Radium fuel rail/plumbing, and a CSL air rail. There are a few critical geometries that you need to take into consideration. I'll try to explain each. It took me a lot of trial and error before getting to a proper configuration. Ready through this entire post before attempting to install. I'll try and find the part numbers of the misc hardware sourced at Home Depot later and add it.

1) Depth of the injector: if you don't use a spacer the lower injector o-ring won't properly seat. The thickness of the space is also important because if it's too tall it will affect the clearance with the rear vacuum line on the air rail. I'll explain more later. I initially used the same rally road spacers and they didn't work for me. Using 2 of the McMaster Carr notched washers was perfect.

Note: The green lower o-rings that came with the new injectors didn’t feel like they fit at tightly in the throttle body. I measured a 0.25mm different in the total width between the stock and new injectors with the o-rings on. To solve this I used the stock upper o-ring on the lower section of the new injectors, removing the green one all together. The injectors fit nice and tight with this setup.

Note: the upper o-ring on the new injectors felts tight and didn’t see a need to use a thicker one.

2) Height of the fuel rail: if you use the stock fuel rail it will sit too high because the E14 injectors are taller than the stock injectors. This will not allow the two 10mm mounting bolts to align which keeps the air rail and fuel rail secured. The solution is to use the Radium fuel rail because the mounts are separate prices from the mail section of the rail and you can use washers as spaces to adjust the total height of the rail relative to the mounting points. I used 2 washers as spacers on each side and and found slightly longer M5 bolts. That worked out perfect.

3) Height of the air rail: the rear vacuum line that attaches to the U-tube (next to the firewall) will interfere with fuel rail since the fuel rail now sits higher. The Radium installation instructions identify this and state that you need to bend the small vacuum metal tube upward using a small wrench. If you don't bend this line it will come in contact with the fuel rail and you won't be able to get the air rail to fully seat on the individual tubes and align with the (2) 10mm mounting bolts. You can use a step drill to enlarge the mount holes on the air rail so it can sit higher, but I didn't want to mangle the air rail. Instead I carefully bent the rear vacuum hard line until it no longer came into contact with the fuel rail.

4) Fuel Injector Wiring Harness: the EV14 adapters will make the harness sit higher. You will need to create more slack so that there is not a lot of tension on the injectors. To do this remove the top section of the black plastic throttle body protection. This is the piece that mounts with (3) 10mm nuts on TB 6 next to the firewall. If you don't remove this you will run into issues with connecting the plumbing to the Radium fuel rail and you will not be able to move the injector harness upward for more slack.

Last edited by duracellttu; 04-15-2023, 12:26 PM.
                  2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                    I just went though this entire install using Bosch 550cc EV14 injectors, Radium fuel rail/plumbing, and a CSL air rail. There are a few critical geometries that you need to take into consideration. I'll try to explain each. It took me a lot of trial and error before getting to a proper configuration. Ready through this entire post before attempting to install. I'll try and find the part numbers of the misc hardware sourced at Home Depot later and add it.

1) Depth of the injector: if you don't use a spacer the lower injector o-ring won't properly seat. The thickness of the space is also important because if it's too tall it will affect the clearance with the rear vacuum line on the air rail. I'll explain more later. I initially used the same rally road spacers and they didn't work for me. Using 2 of the McMaster Carr notched washers was perfect.

Note: The green lower o-rings that came with the new injectors didn’t feel like they fit at tightly in the throttle body. I measured a 0.25mm different in the total width between the stock and new injectors with the o-rings on. To solve this I used the stock upper o-ring on the lower section of the new injectors, removing the green one all together. The injectors fit nice and tight with this setup.

Note: the upper o-ring on the new injectors felts tight and didn’t see a need to use a thicker one.

2) Height of the fuel rail: if you use the stock fuel rail it will sit too high because the E14 injectors are taller than the stock injectors. This will not allow the two 10mm mounting bolts to align which keeps the air rail and fuel rail secured. The solution is to use the Radium fuel rail because the mounts are separate prices from the mail section of the rail and you can use washers as spaces to adjust the total height of the rail relative to the mounting points. I used 2 washers as spacers on each side and and found slightly longer M5 bolts. That worked out perfect.

3) Height of the air rail: the rear vacuum line that attaches to the U-tube (next to the firewall) will interfere with fuel rail since the fuel rail now sits higher. The Radium installation instructions identify this and state that you need to bend the small vacuum metal tube upward using a small wrench. If you don't bend this line it will come in contact with the fuel rail and you won't be able to get the air rail to fully seat on the individual tubes and align with the (2) 10mm mounting bolts. You can use a step drill to enlarge the mount holes on the air rail so it can sit higher, but I didn't want to mangle the air rail. Instead I carefully bent the rear vacuum hard line until it no longer came into contact with the fuel rail.

4) Fuel Injector Wiring Harness: the EV14 adapters will make the harness sit higher. You will need to create more slack so that there is not a lot of tension on the injectors. To do this remove the top section of the black plastic throttle body protection. This is the piece that mounts with (3) 10mm nuts on TB 6 next to the firewall. If you don't remove this you will run into issues with connecting the plumbing to the Radium fuel rail and you will not be able to move the injector harness upward for more slack.

Way too much work. Why didn't you go for a bolt in (OE style) injector with the same (400+cc) flow rate?

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

Way too much work. Why didn't you go for a bolt in (OE style) injector with the same (400+cc) flow rate?
                      I went with these based on recommendations from my tuner and other members experience with similar mods (CSL intake, 288/280 cams, Dinan TBs, ported head and full SS exhaust). I wasn't confident that a lower flow rate injector would meet my needs. It may or may not be overkill but it's easier to dial back a larger injector than it would be to need to replace with a larger one. That was my logic.
                      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I went with these based on recommendations from my tuner and other members experience with similar mods (CSL intake, 288/280 cams, Dinan TBs, ported head and full SS exhaust). I wasn't confident that a lower flow rate injector would meet my needs. It may or may not be overkill but it's easier to dial back a larger injector than it would be to need to replace with a larger one. That was my logic.
                        Yea it's probably much easier for the tuner as he already have a can tuned with that specific injector.

I'll post a list of drop in injectors that will not require any hardware modifications for people in the future.

OE 193g/min (267.5cc/min) @ 3 bars.

0280156061 / 62678 - 217g/min (301.34cc/min) @ 3bars.
                        0280155831 / 62672 - 237g/min (​329.17cc/min) @ 3bars
                        0280156063​ / 62431 - 269g/min (373.59cc/min) @ 3bars
                        0280155968*62695*/0280156102​ *62698* 310g/min (430.01cc/min) @ 3bars.

I have also attached the S54 Injector family specifications (EV6*e*).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ZiMMie; 04-16-2023, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much, I will attempt all of this soon and I really appreciate the well written response

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

I am installing 1000cc injectors in my car from FIC as I’m supercharged and going to push around 500hp on e85

Comment

Working...
                            X