Car rolls up window and automatically locks its-self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car rolls up window and automatically locks its-self

So I've run into the issue that the key is just rotating freely in the lock in the drivers door. Last time this happened, I just left the car unlocked until I could replace the lock. This time, the car won't stay unlocked and I have to crawl in through the trunk and unlock from the inside. So I thought I'd outsmart it by rolling down the window at work so I could just reach in if it decided to lock its-self again. This time, it rolled the window up on its own!

How can I keep it from locking its-self so I can quit crawling through the trunk until I can get the lock fixed??

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    So I've run into the issue that the key is just rotating freely in the lock in the drivers door. Last time this happened, I just left the car unlocked until I could replace the lock. This time, the car won't stay unlocked and I have to crawl in through the trunk and unlock from the inside. So I thought I'd outsmart it by rolling down the window at work so I could just reach in if it decided to lock its-self again. This time, it rolled the window up on its own!

How can I keep it from locking its-self so I can quit crawling through the trunk until I can get the lock fixed??
    maybe take out some fuses somewhere .. ?

for the auto rolling locking, feels like the "key hole closing mechanism" was engaged?
    like when we insert the key, turn it close, and hold the position to get it lock up and windows rolling up thing?

Comment

Originally posted by chalaka View Post

for the auto rolling locking, feels like the "key hole closing mechanism" was engaged?
      like when we insert the key, turn it close, and hold the position to get it lock up and windows rolling up thing?
      No, the key in the lock doesn't do anything no matter which way I turn it. If I rotate the key, it stays in the lock unless I can get it back to neutral, then I can pull it out. Else, it's retained and I can't pull it out.

Comment

I think the tumbler (think that's what it's called) is separate from the actuator so maybe it's just that that is broken? Actuator can control windows, but maybe it's the broken tumbler causing the actuator to move the window.

If you take the door card off, and maybe move the back of regulator to the front (2 10mms iirc), you can get a look at back of the tumbler.
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 08-29-2022, 08:03 PM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post

An exorcism?

Comment

Originally posted by chalaka View Post

I like this theory. If the electrical bit of the lock cylinder is stuck (or intermittently makes contact) in the "lock doors" position, then it will lock the doors on its own and then roll up the windows.

Taking the door card off and disconnecting it should make it go away if this is the cause. Removing fuses might also make it stop doing it, although you'd probably need to check the wiring diagrams to know which one to remove since the fuse card attributes a few to the central locking system.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Just to confuse me, the door didn't lock this time today. Lol

Oh well, I have a new lock cylinder arriving on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like the tumbler needs to be removed and cleaned, plus a new lock actuator.

Comment

Working...
                X