Rear taillight on the fritz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear taillight on the fritz

So my passenger taillight is only blinking through the brake light and not the ambers. Is there a way to fix this or gotta buy a new light?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Apparently you have to cut it open to replace the LED's. Mine's doing the same thing. It was intermittent for a couple months then quit altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      Apparently you have to cut it open to replace the LED's. Mine's doing the same thing. It was intermittent for a couple months then quit altogether.
      Yeah that's what i figured. Wonder if anyone is offering that as a service

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems strange that the entire panel of LEDs for the turn signal would be out - I would think it's something like a circuit that may need re-soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

It seems strange that the entire panel of LEDs for the turn signal would be out - I would think it's something like a circuit that may need re-soldering.
          I think the way it's wired - if 1 LED burns out, they all stop working.

You know what, I will cut mine open this weekend and see what I find. I find it interesting that it's always the passenger side light.

Comment

You know what, I will cut mine open this weekend and see what I find. I find it interesting that it's always the passenger side light.
            Before you cut yours open, I recently found out (accidentally) that it's pretty easy to pull the lens off of the taillight. I'll be gluing it back with 3m plastic emblem and trim adhesive after seeing it recommended in a couple spots. Might be worth pulling the lens off and going in that way instead of cutting the housing open.

Will update the "replace taillight LEDs" DIY with experience/recommendations once I get it back together.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I have the same issue with the drivers side light. Signal doesn’t blink.

my plan was just to purchase a used set.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Before you cut yours open, I recently found out (accidentally) that it's pretty easy to pull the lens off of the taillight. I'll be gluing it back with 3m plastic emblem and trim adhesive after seeing it recommended in a couple spots. Might be worth pulling the lens off and going in that way instead of cutting the housing open.

Will update the "replace taillight LEDs" DIY with experience/recommendations once I get it back together.
                Can you access all the needed circuit board stuff while the lens is off?

Comment

Can you access all the needed circuit board stuff while the lens is off?
                  Pretty sure the answer is yes (memory is fuzzy). Can let you know for sure when I pull it off of mine.

Btw, this might save you the trouble of taking yours apart: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...in-tail-lights . Good amount of pics of the board and LEDs in there.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                  X