Issues With Powder Coated Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues With Powder Coated Wheels

I just picked up a set of TE37’s that were powder coated under previous ownership. The powder coater didn’t mask off the lug holes or the center bores of the wheels, making fitment a real hassle. Has anyone run into this before? I was thinking of sanding down the wheel bore with some 220 grit sand paper to help the wheels slide onto the lip of the hub. One wheel fits without any sanding, is going to a machine shop the correct remedy?

What about the lug holes? Since there’s powder/paint where the lug bolt seats, will the bolts lose torque over time? What should my next steps be?

All help is appreciated!
    Last edited by Deen HK; 09-04-2022, 08:12 PM.
    996TT
    Turbo E36 M3
    FZJ80

I think if you sand the hub bore evenly you'll be good. Just don't start removing aluminum.

I can't comment on the lug bolt seats. The powdercoat might affect the friction, or it might not make any appreciable difference. If it were me I would probably just run them and re-check the torque after some driving. A machine shop would have to ream the seats and the tool would just need to scrape the paint off.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      If it were me I would probably just run them and re-check the torque after some driving. A machine shop would have to ream the seats and the tool would just need to scrape the paint off.
      Was going to say the same thing - I'd run them and recheck pretty regularly, especially if you're getting the wheel hotter than normal by tracking the car.

Was also going to suggest a machine shop, but for the hub bore, you can probably carefully knock that coating down a bit to where the wheel easily mounts up on the hub.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Forgot to update this. A little 220 grit on the center bore allowed all of them to fit perfectly!
        996TT
        Turbo E36 M3
        FZJ80

Comment

Working...
        X