Trying to decide: e46 M3 vs F82 M4 vs 997.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeko View Post

Honestly, it may very well be I just have to at least buy an e9x just to see if it grows on me, if I can find a good buy. I can always find a good example of an e46 since they're plentiful, but I also have my daily e46 330ci.

Edit: I like them but they're 3 pedal only.
    You’re daily driving an E46 coupe already?!? Just daily an E46 M3 instead, then get something else in addition for the different car itch with the money from that + the E39

Comment

Ooh, yeah if automatic is your only option, maybe an E46 isn’t a great choice. E9XM DCT is what I’d go with. Call me dumb, but I think 911s only look good with a wing.
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Well put. The E90 is an M3, but it works as my "M5" in ways as well.

OP, the E46 M3 is still the goldilocks. E90 is better "car" overall, but not at some big things like styling and ease of DIY and aftermarket options/community. And with SMG, you'll get a fair enough deal. E46s are still quite affordable if you don't go for a low mileage zcp manual slicktop blah blah blah.

*Keep in mind the E60/E9x are much more impressive in person than pictures. You can't quite see the widebody of them in pictures and they end up looking pretty blocky, but in person, they're more muscular looking, and very german imo.

The E90 is so impressive, you start to not care that's not as pretty as the E46. But maybe I can say that since I have both. If I lost my E46, I'd probably be signing a different tune.

While I just recommended an E46 above, the DCT (even without the tune!) is so goddamn good, SMG starts to become a parody (esp the SMG3 in the E60 m5). You'll need the CSL 255 tune on the SMG at a minimum.
        Yeah, the non-M E9x cars are heinous looking but they actually look quite nice in M3 trim, especially the sedan IMO. The fenders, bumpers, hood bulge, and other minor touches really elevate the design and make it possible to not hate it. It’s grown on me a lot over the past few years while the non M only looks worse with time.

Comment

I'm probably being biased but I really like the F8x chassis, I think BMW nailed the looks, rigidity, and electronics. I had a 2016 M4 Comp and upgraded once the M4 CS was released in 2019 and I'm glad I did. There's been quite a few hairy situations I found myself in with the M4 and the electronic diff makes all the difference, saved my butt on two very dangerous situations around the track. The F8x is a very forgiving car for the power/torque and if you don't mind the numbness, this would be my choice between the 911 and F8x. It's honestly not just as fun to drive as the E46 M3, I think the E46 has the right balance in every way.

I'd skip the 911 unless you're going GT and the E9x as well albeit a very lovely looking car. If I had to choose between my E46 M3 and the E9x, I'd go E46 all day. When I was in the market for another M car a year ago, I had the opportunity to buy just about anything, I landed on the E46 M3 and there's no way I'm looking back. Like others have said, it's Gods Chariot!

Comment

If it were me I'd look for a deal on a PDK 997.2 C2. They usually sell for a lot less than the manuals. If you change your mind down the road it will hold it's value well. A tiptronic 996 turbo would be harder to re-sell.

I haven't driven a 997.2 but I think now would be the time to scratch that itch and see if you like it.
            Last edited by DJAM3; 09-07-2022, 09:50 AM.
            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
            Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

The F80 M3 is brilliant, and DCT is perfect for it. I just couldn't take the steering feel, and I don't want a turbro power (sound/feel is too important to me). But an amazing car for sure. F82 looks awful compared to the 4 door F80 imo, and much less useful.

But it's a $50k car, so maybe a moot point for OP.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

For a one car, I vote m4. Looks great, big enough to fit friends/family, and dct compliments the S55 well. Perfect balance of practicality-fun-tech-styling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  But it's a $50k car, so maybe a moot point for OP.
                  $50-60k or less is what I'm looking for. But again, I'd prefer to spend $60k and do consumables rather than buy a $30k car and do $30k of preventative / upgrades / OEM+ just to make it "right."

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

You’re daily driving an E46 coupe already?!? Just daily an E46 M3 instead, then get something else in addition for the different car itch with the money from that + the E39
                  Is stock e46 m3 suspension as soft as 330ci? The roads here are HORRIBLE and driving the M3 was fun but holy crap it (and my back) took a beating over the bumps and potholes here. It had Bilstein PSS9s on it but even at full soft it was too harsh for these roads. Also the 330ci is pretty trashed to be honest so I don't mind dailying it around here. I got it cheap and did all the maintenance so for the moment I'm going to drive it into the ground.

Originally posted by DJAM3 View Post
                  If it were me I'd look for a deal on a PDK 997.2 C2. They usually sell for a lot less than the manuals. If you change your mind down the road it will hold it's value well. A tiptronic 996 turbo would be harder to re-sell.

I haven't driven a 997.2 but I think now would be the time to scratch that itch and see if you like it.
                  This is what I was thinking TBH. I am really considering a Carrera S.

Interesting that you think the e9x is overpriced.
                  I've seen a lot of youtube video hype on them in addition to 'rona price inflation. They still haven't hit the bottom of their depreciation curve because of that.
                  Last edited by Aeko; 09-07-2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Wait you prefer to DIY on cars but having 3 pedals annoys you?

Am I reading this right?

Absurd.

Buy a Tesla.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Am I reading this right?

Absurd.

Buy a Tesla.
                      Typically, mutually exclusive.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

Am I reading this right?

Absurd.

Buy a Tesla.
                        Not everyone is as physically able as they seem.

And trust me, I would if I had any way to charge it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeko View Post

Not everyone is as physically able as they seem.

And trust me, I would if I had any way to charge it.
                          Sorry to hear, when I hear DIY'ing on a car, I assume the worst which is way worse than being stuck in traffic with a stick lol

In that case, I would say F82 M4 however they do not drive similar at all.

They sound similar though AKA TERRIBLE.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

After reading some of the replies I will agree some of them them regarding the M4.

The M4 is not going to be comparable to the E46 M3, the feel on the M4 is super numb and that's with the steering setting on "comfort", I feel disengaged at times and find myself speeding around for the sensations. The sound of the S55 without upgrades is pretty bleak, it didn't excite me until I upgraded to the M Performance Exhaust and a stage-1 tune, but even then it was a bit lackluster, you would need downpipes on the car for sure and a mid section to really tie it together. I opted for DCT with the Comp package M4 and my CS only comes with the DCT but I wasn't deterred, it's a fantastic transmission, little clunky in auto at low, low speeds but the car wants to go. The F82 is a lot more lovely to look at than the F80, I don't like the 4-doors on the F80's, just doesn't do it for me. I was contemplating the M3 CS instead of the M4 CS, but I couldn't do it, I'll always equate an ///M division car with 2-doors, nothing more.

Good luck with your decision, you'll make the best one for you.

Comment

Sorry to hear, when I hear DIY'ing on a car, I assume the worst which is way worse than being stuck in traffic with a stick lol

In that case, I would say F82 M4 however they do not drive similar at all.

They sound similar though AKA TERRIBLE.
                              Appreciate it. Being in the garage is therapeutic for me haha.

RE: numb steering and the e46 m3. Funny enough, after driving a GR86 back to back with my e46 M3 I was really disappointed in how the M3 feels. In honestly felt like the steering shaft was made of solid rubber in comparison (and yes I'd replaced all the front suspension with new OEM already.) I'd want the GR86 but... it just lacks the special feeling of the M cars. I could get in it with my eyes closed and feel like I was sitting in a base Corolla. I might go for the GR Corolla as a daily IF they do come out with the auto like they've been alleging is already in development for the GR Yaris. However I feel like the GR Corolla is going to suffer Type-R levels of dealer markup, and for that money I'd sooner buy the 997.2.

Just to be clear ITT I'm looking for a weekend car. If it has the ability to double a daily that's just gravy, but not make or break

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                              Good luck with your decision, you'll make the best one for you.
                              Thanks! And I'm not really expecting completely different cars to be similar, which is why I value everyone's input here because I have the e46 as a benchmark in my mind, so I'm mostly wanting to know how they're different.
                              Last edited by Aeko; 09-07-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I think 911 is the way to go here. Just make sure you can tolerate the ride quality. The turbo m3 only makes sense as a daily in my opinion.

I think the 997 is the peak of water-cooled 911. All this talk of gt3 or bust does not make much sense to me either. The gt3 is not a street car. I reckon the basic version would be more fun on that stage. You can wind it out more and the limits are much lower.

Cayman, c63 AMG, or a Corvette also come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X