Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading OEM HID Headlights, what are the options available??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
    My 01 needs a lighting upgrade. G5BRT looks good..hopefully it can be used on the single xenon 01s.
    2001 single Xenon can be upgraded to Bosch Mini projectors and have a bi-xenon option added. Lightwerkz does this.

Comment

Sad to think i can’t even remember the last time i drove my M3 at night. And this used to be my daily at one point :-/

Comment

So what are the G5's actually? what is the difference between the G5BRT and G5R?

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post

2001 single Xenon can be upgraded to Bosch Mini projectors and have a bi-xenon option added. Lightwerkz does this.

That’s awesome, thanks! I’ll reach out to them.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

What are thoughts on bi-led projector conversions? Example being the Morimoto mled 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
              So what are the G5's actually? what is the difference between the G5BRT and G5R?
              They’re a Chinese rep of a Hella projector, similar to Morimoto but from what I’ve seen better output at a lower price point.

I believe the BRT has a blue tinted lens and output might be a smidge better than the R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
              All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

They’re a Chinese rep of a Hella projector, similar to Morimoto but from what I’ve seen better output at a lower price point.

I believe the BRT has a blue tinted lens and output might be a smidge better than the R.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                  Lightwerkz g5brt conversion with oem shrouds is oem+ and a substantial upgrade. This is my sedan but I just had the same setup built for my M3. All low beams pictured for output

Wow this is pretty impressive. What temp bulbs are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

Is it worth it to go for the Morimoto or an actual Hella projector over the G5BRT or G5R?

Comment

I'm also running a lightworks setup. There's no upgrade like good projectors, for light output.

I later did 55w and better bulbs, which was nice, but nothing like the improvement from the projector upgrade.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                        I'm also running a lightworks setup. There's no upgrade like good projectors, for light output.

I later did 55w and better bulbs, which was nice, but nothing like the improvement from the projector upgrade.
                        Which projectors are you running? I remember seeing your night time pics and they were pretty good.

Any issues running the 55w ballasts? I keep hearing mixed reviews running 55w ballasts.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Is it worth it to go for the Morimoto or an actual Hella projector over the G5BRT or G5R?
                          No idea about actual Hella projectors or if they're even able to be bought / retrofitted, but the main differences between G5 and the latest Morimoto are beam pattern, with G5 concentrating the light for a brighter hotspot at the center, at the expense of some brightness at the edges. See video linked below.

Quality-wise I don't think Morimoto is appreciably better, just a more recognized name but still aftermarket at the end of the day. Either would be a huge upgrade over stock.

Check out the selection of upgrades for your vehicle at www.lightwerkz.net Lightwerkz specializes in custom automotive lighting upgrades for all makes and mo...
                          '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                          All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Good thread, reminding me to get new bulbs. I've done a lot re headlight work to the M5 but haven't touched the M3.

So the Osram CBB is the consensus choice? I used to be Osram guy but I saw a shoot out video from RetroFItSource that the Phillips Extreme Gen2 won, been happy with those in the M5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-BM4C5Xm4
                            Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

for those of you that had lightwerkz do your retrofits, how much did it run you, if you dont mind sharing?

an mled2.0 or g5brt conversion with halos for my single xenons sounds pretty tempting, since even after a bulb swap the output isnt great.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post

So the Osram CBB is the consensus choice? I used to be Osram guy but I saw a shoot out video from RetroFItSource that the Phillips Extreme Gen2 won, been happy with those in the M5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-BM4C5Xm4
                                The Night Breaker Lasers are warmer, and I think they are brighter but I doubt you would be able to tell. They are definitely going to be better in inclement weather.
                                Last edited by K-Dawg; 09-20-2022, 01:17 PM.
                                2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Working...
                                X