Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank no start on first attempt after sitting

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Car is not a daily driver. Drive it 2-3x max a week. One day went to start it after sitting for a couple weeks, it cranks for about 2 seconds then doesn’t start. Second crank starts right up. Didn’t happen again for a while, then started happening a little more. If it starts up first attempt there’s usually a little hiccup before the engine fires up.

Car idles smooth, pulls hard, no stalling. If I drive the car for the day, the car will start right up first attempt throughout the day. Used to only have this issue once in a blue moon but happening more often now. In the video, the car was sitting for around 3 days. It was the first start attempt, but it had a hiccup when starting.

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Cam sensor? Recently had starter, alternator, and battery all replaced.

Originally posted by Nico View Post
    https://youtube.com/shorts/6sIgWm2FPXU?feature=share

Car is not a daily driver. Drive it 2-3x max a week. One day went to start it after sitting for a couple weeks, it cranks for about 2 seconds then doesn’t start. Second crank starts right up. Didn’t happen again for a while, then started happening a little more. If it starts up first attempt there’s usually a little hiccup before the engine fires up.

Car idles smooth, pulls hard, no stalling. If I drive the car for the day, the car will start right up first attempt throughout the day. Used to only have this issue once in a blue moon but happening more often now. In the video, the car was sitting for around 3 days. It was the first start attempt, but it had a hiccup when starting.

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Cam sensor? Recently had starter, alternator, and battery all replaced.
    I struggled with this for a while and never solved it. I suspected faulty non return valve in the fuel pump since if I let the fuel pump prime twice it would always start on the first crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 for me, I initially suspected stale gas. Ran injector cleaner + new tank and it started first time like 10 times in a row which it didn't before but after awhile it went back to 2nd.

I have new fuel filter, car runs fine and pulls strong but I guess I'll check the injectors next.

Comment

Sounds like fuel. I would say pump out filter but most likely pump. I'm having the exact same issues but have heard stories of people driving and the car shutting off right in the middle of the drive. Don't sleep on the symptom

Comment

Originally posted by Drewrivera View Post
          Sounds like fuel. I would say pump out filter but most likely pump. I'm having the exact same issues but have heard stories of people driving and the car shutting off right in the middle of the drive. Don't sleep on the symptom
          Interesting. I have previously replaced the fuel pump a while ago, although never had this symptom.

Comment

Good read.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I'm back to 1st starts again, haven't changed anything except fresh gas.

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                I'm back to 1st starts again, haven't changed anything except fresh gas.
                Interesting. I swear these cars seem really random. Hopefully mine goes away, or at least doesn’t give me issues while driving.

Comment

I found a thread on another forum, spent reading 20 or so pages and final conclusion? he got pissed off and sold the car lmao.

Comment

There was another thread where the guy changed just about everything. Then he changed the DMTL pump, the filter for it, and he sent injectors to get cleaned at RC Fuel injection and his problem disappeared. It wasn’t officially ruled out as to what corrected the problem, but it got solved.

Comment

Ha. I've got this problem as well (Cold start = Crank, no start. Starts on the second time every time) and since changing the fuel filter and pump I'm left with the following list based upon reading the same threads:

Injectors
                      DMTL
                      Crank Sensor
                      Temp Sensor

Comment

Jesus… wonder why the car doesn’t throw a code with this issue?

Comment

sounds like fuel pump or dying alternator
                          Last edited by Mrgunfun; 09-23-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrgunfun View Post
                            sounds like fuel pump or dying alternator
                            Alternator was just replaced along with starter and battery a couple months ago. Fuel pump maybe, gonna bring to a shop ASAP. Don’t wanna shorten the starter lifespan

Comment

How can it be the alternator? The battery is supplying power at start. Alternator won't be doing much.

I had a similar issue. Not always but sometimes from cold (10-20C is as cold as it gets here though) it wouldn't fire first time. I was so used to it firing straight away I often didn't crank for very long. Second time would fire instantly.

Since then only significant thing I've done is VANOS seals, disc etc. Did valve adjustment too and there were a few off by a bit. Didn't have any real problems before but car certainly feels like runs better by the seat of the pants since doing it. Maybe more the valve adjustment than anything. Also since then it's always fired first time I'm pretty sure.

Now VANOS can't do anything for good 10-20 seconds until it builds oil pressure so I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with it. The DME I understand is supposed to put the cams into the best position when shutting down so maybe that wasn't quite right? But second start shouldn't be any better if that was the case.

All very anecdotal I know but certainly the symptom is something I have experienced and given mine wouldn't even do it every time, hard to diagnose.

Comment

Working...
                              X