Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a good source of OE quality copper wire for sensor wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know a good source of OE quality copper wire for sensor wiring?

Hey guys,

Kind of a weird question but hopefully someone can help. I want to make a harness for a CSL conversion with the flap and I'm having a hard time finding good quality, real copper wire in the correct size (0.5mm which is about 22gauge) in a variety of colours. I'd love to know where to get the OE colours by the foot or meter but I'll take what I can get. I see you can get short lengths with terminals from ECS but they're really pricey and not very long pieces. I prefer to crimp my own terminals on and route the wires without limits on length.

TIA

Go into realOEM.
    There's wire in there somewhere.
    Another possible source could be computer repair shops.

Comment

I just used some stuff on Amazon, the best quality I could find and wrapped it in cloth tape and the used OEM conduit to finish it off.
      I used this stuff:

Maybe go to the junk yard and find a BMW and take some wire cutters with you, might even find some connectors you could use.

On a side note, make sure to wrap the wiring that goes under the snorkel to the flap motor in some heat resistant tape as it'll get plenty hot.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Expensive, but great quality. Also in mm2 (not AWG) so it actually fits well onto the TE connectivity crimp terminals.

Junkyard is a good option for cheap wire.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I made bi-xenon and leveling sensor harnesses using wire from EFI Connection. I was able to get all the proper colors (including the stripes) and the 22 gauge wire fit in the TE connectors without a problem.

Comment

You guys are significantly more helpful than Google. Once again this forum saves the day.
            Thanks again!

Comment

TXL or Tefzel are the best choices, Tefzel being better. TXL can be ordered from various places, I’ve used wirebarn plenty. Tefzel is used in professional grade Motorsport harnesses and is significantly more expensive, I’ve ordered it from prowireusa and recommend them.

Comment

Working...
              X