No announcement yet.

Comprehensive Steering Information Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the shims...it’s fantastic. I recommend it for any track car.

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post

It does not. That's a myth due to the CSL having 10 mm wider track width up front. 6mm comes from the wheels being 3mm lower offset. The other 4mm is from the change in control arm angle at the lower ride height.

The CSL king pins either add 1 degree static negative camber without increasing SAI by 1 degree like you get using camber plates to make the same adjustment, or they decrease SAI while keeping static camber the same. Just depends how you align your car. Either way, the result is your car loses slightly less caster when you turn the wheels off center compared to a regular M3 with the same camber specs, and that means you gain a little less positive camber when the wheels are turned. I've heard it makes turn in feel a little better, but I cannot confirm.

I'll add more about the king pins and the effects on suspension geometry to the original posts when I get a chance. Promised some guys on FB I would do that too.
      Thanks Volke! I was one of those guys on FB
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Wish I could read through the old m3f thread... Planning to do reduce my power steering pressure, how many shims is everyone doing? I have a ZHP rack and underdrive pulleys, I want heavier steering but don't want a workout while parking my car. Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
          I do find it funny that pretty much all of the rack upgrades ended up being 50mm/rev and linear. and in fact to date there's nothing confirmed to be faster. You'd always hear about people calling the 330 rack a modest upgrade which had a progressive feel while others would say the Z3 rack is so twitchy that it's hard to drive on the highway. Shows how much of our perception is susceptible to suggestion.
          Might have more to do with the cars they're installed in stock-- e.g. the Z3 has a short wheelbase, so it likely does feel twitchier on the highway with the same rack.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
            Wish I could read through the old m3f thread... Planning to do reduce my power steering pressure, how many shims is everyone doing? I have a ZHP rack and underdrive pulleys, I want heavier steering but don't want a workout while parking my car. Suggestions?
            I did 2 shims/25% on both cars and have no regrets.... and my wife hasn't complained

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Has anyone used shims along with a smaller diameter power steering pulley?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Might have more to do with the cars they're installed in stock-- e.g. the Z3 has a short wheelbase, so it likely does feel twitchier on the highway with the same rack.
                I meant those were the sort of statements in the context of retrofits into e36 M3s and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post
                  The CSL king pins either add 1 degree static negative camber without increasing SAI by 1 degree like you get using camber plates to make the same adjustment, or they decrease SAI while keeping static camber the same. Just depends how you align your car. Either way, the result is your car loses slightly less caster when you turn the wheels off center compared to a regular M3 with the same camber specs, and that means you gain a little less positive camber when the wheels are turned. I've heard it makes turn in feel a little better, but I cannot confirm.
                  I perhaps should have inquired before I had mine installed, but is there any *disadvantage* to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pace View Post
                    Has anyone used shims along with a smaller diameter power steering pulley?
                    There's no reason you can't do both. The pulley doesn't affect the steering weight. The smaller pulley just makes it more likely you will momentarily have zero assist if you try to turn the wheel too fast at too low engine RPM due to voiding in the steering rack from the pump not being able to output enough flow.

Originally posted by terra View Post
                    I perhaps should have inquired before I had mine installed, but is there any *disadvantage* to this?
                    Nothing you need to worry about. It changes the scrub radius a tiny bit, and less SAI also reduces the centering force that makes the wheels seek the straight ahead position. You can always add a little caster with plates to make up for this if you notice the reduction and don't like it.
                    Last edited by Volke; 05-01-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Do you know if e90 m3 steering rack would fit e46?

Comment

Guys do you know if that alignment plastic cover can be removed from our racks?

Comment

Thanks for all this, Volke! I will be needing some shims from you when I switch steering racks.
                          2003.5 Carbon Black ///M3 @_weaponM
                          MCS | Supersprint | CAE | TC Design | Momo | Schroth | Rogue | Turner | Bimmerworld | Vorshlag | Hyperco | AKG

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                            Guys do you know if that alignment plastic cover can be removed from our racks?
                            Yes, the black plastic on the spline can be removed, but years of dirt may make it hard to do so. Just go slow and use some WD40 to avoid breaking it.

Sorry, for the slow response, I only check here when I get a PM.

Comment

I forgot to post an update but I used 4 shims for 50% reduction and I love it! I do notice that at stop or in a parking lot, more force is required to turn the wheel but nothing crazy. I drove my friend's NSX with no PS and that was a nightmare compared to mine lol.

This is the perfect solution to the overly light steering from the factory. Thanks Volke for making this DIY and selling those shims!

Comment

Thanks for putting together it is good to have all this info in one place again! I have an 01 which has an MK20 ABS module (which is the abs in the earlier modules). I have seen on the M3 cutters that there have been some work arounds with changing parameters but the reviews have been mixed some people say you should stay away (if you have MK20 specifically) and some say you should do it. I know build journal has an update for the MK20 module which converts it to something similar to an "MK 60 M Track Mode". I was going to rebuild/replace or change out the steering rack anyways because there is play right now in mine.

1. I wanted to bring this up for anyone that needs to factor this in since it is comprehensive steering thread and I had not factored the difference between MK20 and MK60 ABS Modules.
                                2. I didn't know if there was anyone that has a work around for this if it becomes a problem during normal driving (other than turning DSC off)?

Comment

Working...
                                X