No announcement yet.

Valve bent, piston indents... :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would install the cam and use it to open the bent valve wide open, then cut the valve head off down to the stem, then carefully turn the cam to close the valve, then remove the cam to get the rest of the valve out.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      I would install the cam and use it to open the bent valve wide open, then cut the valve head off down to the stem, then carefully turn the cam to close the valve, then remove the cam to get the rest of the valve out.
      Its basically compressed as it sits now. I feel like the bent is at the top half of the stem (where I cant get to).

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

Is my only option bending the valve from the bottom?
        if I damage the valve guide, are they easily replaceable?
        Idk, we tried everything we could think of. Maybe if you could cut the keepers off without the spring pressure launching everything(could be dangerous for sure).Maybe you could get the spring compressor in there and then cut the end of the valve/keepers off, probably isn't enough room though. In the end we bent the valve enough so we could use a spring compressor and get the keepers off, I don't know if that broke the valve guide or the initial bending did, but it broke off chunks of the bottom of the valve guide. The valve guides are pressed in and usually require heat to remove and installing them probably should probably be left to machine shop.

Comment

Its basically compressed as it sits now. I feel like the bent is at the top half of the stem (where I cant get to).
          The bent section should be in the combustion and so with the head cut off you should be able to see where the bend is.

Comment

Or do you meant the bend section is in the top of the head (surrounded by the spring)? If this mishap happened, there was no follower on top of the valve/spring which can cock the things sideway? The follower would prevent this from happing.

Comment

Or do you meant the bend section is in the top of the head (surrounded by the spring)? If this mishap happened, there was no follower on top of the valve/spring which can cock the things sideway? The follower would prevent this from happing.
              The spring is basically compressed so I would imagine the bend is somewhere in the middle and up against the valve guide wall. I cant say for sure though. Hmmmm

Comment

The spring is basically compressed so I would imagine the bend is somewhere in the middle and up against the valve guide wall. I cant say for sure though. Hmmmm
                The spring is compressed without the cam lobe pressing down? Of course if the bend is in the combustion chamber then the sprint is compressed. Post a pic of the bent valve in the combustion chamber.

Comment

The spring is compressed without the cam lobe pressing down? Of course if the bend is in the combustion chamber then the sprint is compressed. Post a pic of the bent valve in the combustion chamber.
                  The head is off. the valves are open almost all of the way. No cams installed, so yes pushed all of the way open and stuck.

Comment

I don't think it bent in the middle of the guide. Compress the spring with the cam lobe or whatever, cut the valve head off then you can tell the bend is below the guide or not. If there is a bend then you need to grind the shaft down to near the guide and hope the released spring will pull the shaft out. Don't try to bend the shaft back to straight as this can crack the guide.

Comment

I don't think it bent in the middle of the guide. Compress the spring with the cam lobe or whatever, cut the valve head off then you can tell the bend is below the guide or not. If there is a bend then you need to grind the shaft down to near the guide and hope the released spring will pull the shaft out. Don't try to bend the shaft back to straight as this can crack the guide.
                      The issue is that the spring is already fully compressed and stuck in that position. So the compression tool won't do anything. The valve is down with the compression (fully open) and stuck in that position. I may have to cut through the spring and the valve top. Hopeully the bend is right below the guide and the valve drops out.

Now the real question is after cutting... there will be metal everywhere. Do I need to hot tank the head???

Comment

The issue is that the spring is already fully compressed and stuck in that position. So the compression tool won't do anything. The valve is down with the compression (fully open) and stuck in that position. I may have to cut through the spring and the valve top. Hopeully the bend is right below the guide and the valve drops out.

Now the real question is after cutting... there will be metal everywhere. Do I need to hot tank the head???
                        The cam lobe or compression tool is to prevent things flight out dangerously after cut off the valve head in the combustion chamber.
                        I don’t understand why you want to cut through this spring and worry the metal debris. You cannot cut through compressed spring.
                        why not cut the head off?

Comment

The cam lobe or compression tool is to prevent things flight out dangerously after cut off the valve head in the combustion chamber.
                          I don’t understand why you want to cut through this spring and worry the metal debris. You cannot cut through compressed spring.
                          why not cut the head off?
                          If I cut the head off of the valve, ill still have a bent stem in the head. Because the valve is compressed fully open, the bent is at the base of the valve guide (which is too far into the head to reach). So cutting the valve head won't do anyone. I have to take the valve out from the bottom, which means cut on the stem/retainer/spring side.

Comment

If I cut the head off of the valve, ill still have a bent stem in the head. Because the valve is compressed fully open, the bent is at the base of the valve guide (which is too far into the head to reach). So cutting the valve head won't do anyone. I have to take the valve out from the bottom, which means cut on the stem/retainer/spring side.
                            This is a good metal exercise.
                            Again, cannot cut into a compressed spring as it will bind into the cutting tool. If you still want to do the cut on this side, I suggest you wear a DOT approved helmet with a transparent metal screen.
                            "If I cut the head off of the valve, ill still have a bent stem in the head."
                            With the big head cut off, with a spring compressor or whatever on the other side to keep the spring compressed, you can use a rotary grinder to grind down the shaft pass the bend section. It is a slow process but mess contamination to the head and safer.
                            Or, using a tool to compressed the spring, then grind the valve keeper off. This is a faster process but more contamination and more dangerous of the spring and part shoot out like a bullet.
                            It's almost impossible to cut the shaft through the EX port, as the reciprocate cutter has little room for the blade, and it might enlarge the valve guide ID.

Comment

Working...
                            X