Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve bent, piston indents... :-(

Hey Guys,

So I have two bent exhaust valves and they hit the top of the piston (cyl 6). This happened when going through timing/cam install (engine out of car). Pics are below but want to ask...

1.) Will the valve indents effect compression? Currently I'm at 190 all 6 cylinders before this incident.

2.) Will removing/reinstalling the head effect compression?

Ordering two exhaust valves now. .

Thanks,
    Kareem
    Attached Files

Additional pics before head uninstall
    Attached Files

Comment

Won’t affect compression, I’d smooth out marks to minimise hot spots.

None of them are direct above ring groove and might have pinched a ring ?
      Last edited by digger; 10-18-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

You made these dents while turning it over by hand?

im in the middle of reassembling mine now, so any tips are helpful. And I’m sry this happened - bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
          You made these dents while turning it over by hand?

im in the middle of reassembling mine now, so any tips are helpful. And I’m sry this happened - bummer!
          Yeah.
          I forgot that turn the cams while keeping the TDC pin in means the bottom is lock, but the tip is moving. Therefor the valves will touch the Pistons that are up.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            Won’t affect compression, I’d smooth out marks to minimise hot spots.

None of them are direct above ring groove and might have pinched a ring ?
            Will do, thanks for the input.
            Any suggestions on how?

Comment

It's really hard to make such mistake as you feel resistance when the pistons touches the valve.

I think you should have a professional assemble the engine for you to avoid further damage.

Comment

When you remove the bent valves take a close look at the valve guides on the intake/exhaust port sides. The valve guides could easily be cracked/broken by something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                  It's really hard to make such mistake as you feel resistance when the pistons touches the valve.

I think you should have a professional assemble the engine for you to avoid further damage.
                  It was more on initial torque down of cams. I felt resistance, but I was working through cam binding... so thought the resistance was due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM3 View Post
                    When you remove the bent valves take a close look at the valve guides on the intake/exhaust port sides. The valve guides could easily be cracked/broken by something like this.
                    Will do.
                    The marks I'm fine with... I'm just worried that the perfect compression in now ruined (with piston marks and new valves).

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

It was more on initial torque down of cams. I felt resistance, but I was working through cam binding... so thought the resistance was due to this.
                      I can see that happening, especially if you use a large wrench you might not realize how much pressure you are working with and with the springs pushing on the cam you might think that is what you are feeling.
                      However, I still can't see how the cam was jammed in the first place when you initially removed the cam without ruining the journal or cam. Also, there shouldn't be any binding upon reassembly. If there is, the cam or journal is likely damaged.

Comment

do a leakdown test to see if there's any leaks on the valve seats. If leak down test is good, then consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Piston #1 was fine? 1 and 6 follow same timing i do believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich022 View Post
                            Yes, all other cylinders are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich022 View Post
                              Pistons go up/down at the same time but cam timing is offset 180 deg IIRC

If OP was only installing the exhaust cam when this happened, I do not expect there to be damage on other cylinders.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X