No announcement yet.

S54 Rebuild with Vac Motorsports Parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well done video but can I ask the reason for sleeving in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by mleveroni View Post
      Very well done video but can I ask the reason for sleeving in the first place?
      My guess is boost. Back when HPF was still a thing, they were installing Darton Sleeves in S54 blocks because the sleeves were supposedly more durable than the block itself. Turns out those sleeves started dropping out of the cylinders causing headgasket failure since the headgasket was only able to seal a fraction of original sealing surface between cylinders. In his pictures, it looks like the sleeves cracked due to being too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        I hope your VAC experience goes better than most.
        Not trying to side track but what are the issues people have? I just bought some seat mounting stuff from them.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Not trying to side track but what are the issues people have? I just bought some seat mounting stuff from them.
          1. Bump steer tie rod snap in T1 WGI, luckily avoided a wall. Bad engineering design, I should have known better, it did not shoulder on the spindle correctly. They have since updated the design.
          2. VAC ATI damper ate two belts, clearly not designed to work correctly. Morehead also ditched theirs, same issue.
          3. Sent me two left bump steer control arms. One of them had a problem. Took a paypal dispute to get money back two months AFTER I shipped them their shit back waiting for replacements. Glad they are not in the car.
          Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

I think the OP is unlikely to have issue, since he's buying parts from VAC made by other people. They seem to do okay as a reseller.

But VAC parts are often garbage (I've seen seat mounts fail in a crash, the sliders they use are trash, I had their CSL airbox and it collapsed in on itself, etc) and their quality of labor is FAR worse (e.g. they clogged a drain hole on my friend S62 by using too much sealant (on gaskets that required no sealant, btw)-- and their solution was to pop the covers, drill the holes out, and send him on his way-- WITH METAL SHAVINGS AND THE DRILLED OUT SEALANT IN HIS ENGINE!) The same friend had the owner (Tony) use his car to pick his kids up from school-- who ate in the car and left food on the back seat and floor, and scratch the leather. My friend has never allowed his own kids to eat in his car.

The place is a shit show. Being semi local to them, I get to see a non stop stream of their failed work. In my estimation, nobody should use parts made by VAC (or to their spec), or let them touch their car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I think the OP is unlikely to have issue, since he's buying parts from VAC made by other people. They seem to do okay as a reseller.

But VAC parts are often garbage (I've seen seat mounts fail in a crash, the sliders they use are trash, I had their CSL airbox and it collapsed in on itself, etc) and their quality of labor is FAR worse (e.g. they clogged a drain hole on my friend S62 by using too much sealant (on gaskets that required no sealant, btw)-- and their solution was to pop the covers, drill the holes out, and send him on his way-- WITH METAL SHAVINGS AND THE DRILLED OUT SEALANT IN HIS ENGINE!) The same friend had the owner (Tony) use his car to pick his kids up from school-- who ate in the car and left food on the back seat and floor, and scratch the leather. My friend has never allowed his own kids to eat in his car.

The place is a shit show. Being semi local to them, I get to see a non stop stream of their failed work. In my estimation, nobody should use parts made by VAC (or to their spec), or let them touch their car.
              Wow, wish I had known that like 2 weeks ago.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

My block came back from the machine shop today so the bottom end fun will begin shortly. Well, as soon as the rods arrive in another 10-12 weeks.

Feff
                MVP Track Time

Comment

I've seen seat mounts fail in a crash
                  Was this Kaiv? I remember someone had some aluminum side mounts bend in an accident which is questionable why anyone would use aluminum for that.

I believe VAC pioneer the design of the E36/E46 floor mounts which have been copied. IMO, those are a terrible design. The mount is thick billet aluminum EXCEPT for where the bolt/nut attaches the mounts to the floor, its about 3/16" thick at best?. If properly torqued the bolt/nut galls the aluminum which is a super thin piece because the opening is machined to an oval.

I have a great example of VAC's genius - they make a sensor bung/water pipe that goes between the cylinder head pipe and thermostat housing and also returns from the heater core. Great place to put a 1/8" NPT single wire temp sender...PERFECT! Except you won't get a consistent reading because the pipe is electrically isolated from the engine because of the o-rings. So no ground unless the pipe shifts and makes metal to metal contact thus no reading. A single wire sender is always chassis grounded. I'm dumbfounded that VAC doesn't seem to know this. I called them and they said they never had an issue. I ran a ground from the sender to the engine, worked perfectly. You spend all that effort to CNC a nice water pipe that doesn't even focking work. All they would need to do is add a ground lug!

But this is VAC. And TurnECSer Motorsports isn't far behind VAC in marketing non-working bullsh1t.

Comment

Working...
                  X