Apex Wheel/ Tire setup recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apex Wheel/ Tire setup recomendation

Hello guys, i am new member here, mostly learning from your experiences, thank you very much for the awesome info here on forum saying hello from Slovakia

But now I would really appreciate some more tailored advice to my situation right now.

I want to use Apex Black Friday sale for some lightweight 18”. But I am not really certain of the ideal spec and also I am concerned about fitment.
    As for reference, my car is weekend car, road trips, mostly spirited driven street car with intention to attend hobby track days, hill climbs, nordschleife trips etc.
    I want to retain certain civility of the car, currently in progress of weight loss( recaro pp, lithium battery, carbon roof, custom rear seat delete, etc).

Suspension setup now is progressive springs KW V3, with KW camber plates, brake setup is ST40 355 4pot all around. Currently on heavy ass 19” CSL, but the car is terrible on them. I know this suspension runs into clearance issues with wider fronts.

i have never run square setup, I wanted to try that.

I want to use one set of wheels, Debating between

staggered setup 9j et30/ 10j et25 with 245/265 semi slicks cup 2’s or A052, more conservative and less flexible setup

or
    square 9,5j et35, when I would be free to try and use 255 or 265 square setups and even stagger back to 245/265 if I did not like square. Apex guide says 5mm spacer up front and 12mm rear should do the job with “at least 2degrees of negative camber”. But my local bmw alignment guy is skeptical about square 9,5j setup clearances because I have progressive springs and recommends stagger. I also would like to avoid crazy front camber as the car is used on the street too. Currently on 2,5 negative front.

what would you guys recommend with my status quo?

thank you very much for your insights 🙏

Apex has pretty informative fitment guide with pictures:
    Make sure it fits. See our detailed guide with square & staggered fitments for your 2001-2006 BMW E46 M3. View photos of street & track setups.

Comment

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post
      Apex has pretty informative fitment guide with pictures:
      https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
      I know they have, but I wanted to know opinion on my use case from guys here on forum.

and also fitment, for instance, apex guide says that 9,5j ET square is okay with at least 2degrees negative front camber.
      But my local BMW suspension/alignment guy says that he always ended up needing to dial 3+ degrees of front negative camber with this setup. That kind of confuse me

Comment

unless the car is going to see significant track time, I would stick with staggered. I have 18x9 +31 and 18x10 +25 EC7s, no spacers, and I think it fits pretty much perfectly. Also, I have to suggest looking at the bimmerworld wheels over the apex, as I was looking at wheels for my F30 because of the apex sale also, but ended up buying the TA5R. I might even buy a set of TA8R to replace my EC7s, haven't decided yet.

They're flow formed options seem to be cheaper, lighter, and better made than the equivalent apex flow formed options.

Comment

I've been running 18x9.5 ET35 with 265 square setup for about 10 years and love it. My street setup is about 2.5 camber in the front - I just bought another set of them for my M3 wagon build and I'll going to put on 255/40 square setup. I like the ability to rotate tires front to back.
          '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
          '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Working...
          X