Rod bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Rod bearings

Rod bearing DIY from m3forums. Credit to the original poster. drive file because for some reason I cannot upload the file. I will try again tomorrow.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pY?usp=sharing

Adding spreadsheet from Inizes for the parts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Edits:

Some other info:/ comments

For anyone having problems accessing my files, let me know at patrickpindar@gmail.com. I havent had issues from non associated computers (like my work computer with no personal accounts logged in).

Yes, you need to do your rod bearings every 100k miles or sooner. Probably sooner. We dont need to know about your buddy's with 200k mi on original bearings. In building anything, there are outliers. Most cars are going to fail. Get Blackstone oil reports. Do your due-diligence to keep the car running.

Break in:
    As Arith2 states below, there is a break in period. Rouge Engineering told me no revs above 4k, and to vary the rpms for about 1,000 mi. Not sure what the best method is, as Arith2 suggests 5.5k for 1200 miles. Regardless, I have heard basically the same thing, limit the revs (no redline), and do this for 1k mi. Afterwards change you oil and oil filter prior to driving hard.. I did this on my car (03-), as well as my fathers car (02) and both are running great, with both having a little less than 15k miles post bearings. Both are track driven street cars as well, so they do get put through some stress.

Bearings:
    I have BE, my dad went WPC treated OEM. Not sure what the best option is, but there are a ton out there. Change your bearings every 80k-100k miles, regardless of what you end up with.
    Last edited by sumolbandit; 12-16-2022, 07:19 PM.
    Topaz e46 m3- karbonius csl airbox and snorkel w map, turner power pulleys, csl headers, euro section 1, ss x pipe, scza exhaust, besian vanos, jrz rs1, turner sways, akg and Rouge bushings, Rouge front strut bar, turner adjustable camber arms, cmp Stage 1, 2, & 2.5, custom red and mdash interior, cobra nogaros, brey kraus harness mounts, bsw speakers, autosolutions 30% ssk, advan rs2s (street) and apex arc 8s (track).

e30 s62 swap (current project)

Just did this DIY this past weekend. The instructions in bimmerfan08's DIY are A+. Here is a link to where he hosts it on his dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5foo7di69...hment.pdf?dl=0

Comment

BMW TSB for rod bearings here. Quite helpful to have a document from the source. Checking for TSB's is always the second step after verifying the corncern, so here you go.

Also Important: There IS a break in procedure of 1200 miles and staying under 5500rpm/105mph. This is a wear pattern item. Don't abuse them immediately or it may result in premature wear. Probably won't cause a failure right away but I'd definitely take manufacturer advise on such an important item.

I saw a post on M3F asking about bearing break in procedure and people were saying there isn't one. I want to kill that now so we aren't spinning bearings. Crankshafts are expensive. So are new engines.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Arith2; 03-31-2020, 08:05 AM.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by sumolbandit View Post
        Rod bearing DIY from m3forums. Credit to the original poster. drive file because for some reason I cannot upload the file. I will try again tomorrow.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pY?usp=sharing
        Can't access it.

Comment

Lining up parts for this and other stuff to do and have a question.

Do we know who makes the oil level sensor (so I don't have to buy the BMW labeled one)?

Edit: I just checked FCPEuro and they list Hella as OEM supplier, agreed?
          Last edited by oceansize; 04-02-2020, 06:00 PM.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Do we know who makes the oil level sensor (so I don't have to buy the BMW labeled one)?

Hella is the OE supplier, but what is wrong with the current one? It is easy enough to change during an oil service should it fail.

Comment

True enough.... I think I'm getting the "while i'm in there" virus to a massive degree. Symptoms seem to be that all rational thought goes out the window. Thanks for the reality check.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Any chance you have a part list?
                2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Originally posted by cudzich09 View Post

Any chance you have a part list?
                  My car is 4/2003 so need connecting rold bolts:

11131437237 oil pan gasket
                  11137834886 oil pan center gasket
                  11247834310 connecting rod bolt (12)
                  11247835439 shell (6)
                  11247835440 shell (6)
                  11431707164 dipstick o-ring
                  31106772199 reinforcement plate bolts (12)

oil change kit of your choice.

I'm doing my steering coupler while there:
                  32301094703 coupler
                  32411093596 gasket (2)
                  32411093597 gasket (4)
                  32306778609 bolt (1)

I did my motor mounts last summer so I'm good there.

Comment

My car is 4/2003 so need connecting rold bolts:

11131437237 oil pan gasket
                    11137834886 oil pan center gasket
                    11247834310 connecting rod bolt (12)
                    11247835439 shell (6)
                    11247835440 shell (6)
                    11431707164 dipstick o-ring
                    31106772199 reinforcement plate bolts (12)

oil change kit of your choice.

I'm doing my steering coupler while there:
                    32301094703 coupler
                    32411093596 gasket (2)
                    32411093597 gasket (4)
                    32306778609 bolt (1)

I did my motor mounts last summer so I'm good there.

Much appreciated! Really cool of you to include the coupler info, on my list!
                    2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

What is the consensus for brand of bearings to buy? BE, ACL, King, VAC?

Comment

I'm going OE as my take as away was that there isn't any proven benefit (I'm excluding cost as a factor in decision making) to the others over the long term. Additionally for me this is more than likely the first and last time I do this as I average 5k miles a year.

Comment

Originally posted by DESMDR3 View Post
                          What is the consensus for brand of bearings to buy? BE, ACL, King, VAC?
                          From what I’ve gathered is that ACL/King are pretty popular in Europe. Both are well known/recommended from different engine builders. Many E9x owners seemed to have moved to the ACLs since they are cheaper and believe they are following big companies since they are starting to sell them (Lang racing, ECS etc) I bought a set from Amazon a few months back and they were about $100 just bought them bc they are slightly starting to go up in price. (Will be installing maybe on the next oil change)
                          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

From what I’ve gathered is that ACL/King are pretty popular in Europe. Both are well known/recommended from different engine builders. Many E9x owners seemed to have moved to the ACLs since they are cheaper and believe they are following big companies since they are starting to sell them (Lang racing, ECS etc) I bought a set from Amazon a few months back and they were about $100 just bought them bc they are slightly starting to go up in price. (Will be installing maybe on the next oil change)
                            For that price you can do them every oil change. Havent heard much about them, but they are like 1/4-1/5 the price of oe.
                            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

For that price you can do them every oil change. Havent heard much about them, but they are like 1/4-1/5 the price of oe.
                              Yeah. They were starting to make threads on m3forum about them. For me it was either those or oem from FCP since I could potentially exchange them again at no extra cost in the future.
                              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X