Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less dusty street pad? Genuine ZCP front pads dust !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less dusty street pad? Genuine ZCP front pads dust !

Anyone find a low dust street pad?

The Genuine ZCP front pads give off a lot of dust IMO.

TIA!

Hawk HPS don't dust much; however, the pads can fuse to the rotor if you leave the car overnight after washing. This can create rusty pad deposits on the rotor that won't come off unless a track pad is used to clean them off and can lead to steering wheel vibrations under light braking. Same thing with the Stoptech Sport pads.

Stock pads don't have this issue and they have more initial bite. You just have to wash the wheels every week or two (not necessarily the entire car).

Comment

Akebono Euro ceramic pads.

Comment

Akebono ! I have them on my Z4M. good stopping power and low dust !
        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

+1 on akebono. /thread
          E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Is there any noticeable difference in stopping power with ceramic pads?

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
              Akebono Euro ceramic pads.
              This. They stop fine on my street car.
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                Hawk HPS don't dust much; however, the pads can fuse to the rotor if you leave the car overnight after washing.
                Also - I've had the deposits fuse to the wheels if you go through too many rain cycles and don't wash the dust off quickly enough. Not a great choice for a street pad, IMHO.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by JokerElite View Post
                  Is there any noticeable difference in stopping power with ceramic pads?
                  Any pad will "stop" in that you will be able to engage ABS eventually, but I found the Akebono ceramic pads to be pretty numb and they felt like I was using blocks of wood on the rotors. I actually bought a set of Akebonos for my daily based on other people's praise, and when I took my crap pads out... they were Akebono Euro pads. Doh.

My personal choice for street cars is the Brembo semi-metallic. Better feel than ceramic, but still low-dust and no-noise. There are a bunch of pads in this category, but the Brembo-branded ones seem to have the best fit & finish.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Any pad will "stop" in that you will be able to engage ABS eventually, but I found the Akebono ceramic pads to be pretty numb and they felt like I was using blocks of wood on the rotors. I actually bought a set of Akebonos for my daily based on other people's praise, and when I took my crap pads out... they were Akebono Euro pads. Doh.
                    With brake pads it’s always competing requirements and compromise. Low dust and excellent brakes don’t go together.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

My personal choice for street cars is the Brembo semi-metallic. Better feel than ceramic, but still low-dust and no-noise. There are a bunch of pads in this category, but the Brembo-branded ones seem to have the best fit & finish.

I literally LOL'd at the blocks of wood comment; I had similar experience with Akebono Ceramics on my m3:

Pros: No dust, no noise. Apparently no wear on the rotors (they still looked new after some mileage).
                      Cons: No initial bite, no feel, and no confidence.

In a post on old m3f I wrote about how I felt like I was never going to stop in time when traffic abruptly came to a stop, and it took considerable pedal pressure to do so - always inciting high heart rate, unnecessarily. I was able to get some bite by a work-around: activate the brake, release brake momentarily, and immediately get back onto the brake again to slow. This worked fine for freeway off-ramps, but I didn't like it for urgent stopping needs or spirited driving. They work okay for daily commuting needs.

Doing the bedding in procedure again did not help. Giving it additional miles did not help.
                      After about 1,500 miles I swapped out for OEM Jurid and Textars and all's been well.

I still have the pads, if someone wants to try them I'll make them a good deal. If they have good experience, cool. But if not, then maybe this set of pads can go on to another member for a similar trial... lol.

Comment

Ceramics are crap for brake feel and initial bite. The reason of dust is the pad is actually doing its work of stopping the car

Comment

I've liked my Cool Carbons so far.

I think I used Axxis Metal Masher awhile ago but couldn't find them again.

Comment

I'm missing the problem with brake pad dust. Do girls not want to date you because of it? You're wife tells you to sleep on the couch? People laugh as you drive by? Are people whispering about your brake dust behind your back?

Scientists have discovered a cure. Its called "washing you car". Lots of folks are doing it these days.

Ceramic pads for this car are a downgrade in braking performance. Why would anyone want to intentionally degrade their braking performance?

Comment

^^ exactly this. Is like people buying sports car and putting all season tires because they make less road noise and are more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X