My new amplifier upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new amplifier upgrade

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share my experience with upgrading my audio in my M3. The original system was a Hi-Fi system however the previous owner upgraded the speakers to BavSound speakers and a older Dynavin double din head unit. After receiving the car I changed the head unit out to a just released Sony XAV-AX6000 unit and even found a great deal on a now discontinued BavSound 10” powered subwoofer that mounts to the rear deck.

Well even though it is a way better experience the sound wasn't amazing and the power for the interior speakers was lacking. I kept trying to read about people upgrading the factory amp to a JL audio or AudioControl amp however I didn't want to cut any of the factory wires to make that work. And not many posts with upgrading the Hi-Fi system most were with the HK. Then I reached out to Audiotec Fischer and asked if they had any plug & play amplifier upgrades for the older E46 platform that uses the Hi-Fi 676 option. Well they forwarded my email to the USA side of their business and it said that the Match UP7BMW amplifier would work without any issues. It’s expensive at $1100 however I used to work at a dealer and a friend that works there got me a better price. I took the chance and today after installing it and uploading a pre-made sound setup file this thing is amazing. The power is unbelievable for such a small digital amp. I will need to learn more about tuning it however I might just pay to have it done next year. Hope this helps someone in my situation.
    Attached Files

Thats pretty cool. Would love to upgrade the amp in mine one day. I have the HK sound system.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
      Thats pretty cool. Would love to upgrade the amp in mine one day. I have the HK sound system.
      Reach out to this guy when ready to make sure whats the best option for the HK system,

jason@msc-america.com

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Reach out to this guy when ready to make sure whats the best option for the HK system,

jason@msc-america.com
        Cool, will do once i have 1k spare lying around LOL

Comment

I’m glad after all these years someone finally took the initiative. Thank you GreyM340i

I purchased a match 7 dsp amp for my 2022 X5 and was sent an upgraded match 8 dsp amp. I’m not exactly sure if there more power in the 8 vs the 7, but lemme tell you this amp kicks a$$!! What an upgrade to my X5 hi-fi. It was $1350 well spent from Bimmertech.

Op, did yours come with a usb cable that connects to the amp? You can go to the audiotec fisher de site and look at the drop-down box for “tools” and download the correct adjusting tool. This is an EQ and I would recommend adjusting it little by little at a time. This is what all the X5 guys on bimmerpost said. The adjustments really do make a big difference. This amp peaks at 1150 watts and 650 watts rms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D5B0DF2D-DB84-4E04-B9AE-5EB27A928080.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	196140
          Attached Files
          Last edited by c watson; 12-12-2022, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post
            I’m glad after all these years someone finally took the initiative. Thank you GreyM340i

I purchased a match 7 dsp amp for my 2022 X5 and was sent an upgraded match 8 dsp amp. I’m not exactly sure if there more power in the 8 vs the 7, but lemme tell you this amp kicks a$$!! What an upgrade to my X5 hi-fi. It was $1350 well spent from Bimmertech.

Op, did yours come with a usb cable that connects to the amp? You can go to the audiotec fisher de site and look at the drop-down box for “tools” and download the correct adjusting tool. This is an EQ and I would recommend adjusting it little by little at a time. This is what all the X5 guys on bimmerpost said. The adjustments really do make a big difference. This amp peaks at 1150 watts and 650 watts rms.

Click image for larger version Name:	D5B0DF2D-DB84-4E04-B9AE-5EB27A928080.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	196140
            Yes mine also has the software and usb cable. I just loaded a stock file from their site to get me going. I will need to try and learn a little more about adjusting the EQ and timing delays. If not depending on cost I will have a local shop do it professionally in the spring. So far it sounds light years ahead the stock amp.

Comment

Just clarifying OP... you got a plug and play amp for the factory system without having to do any wiring and there is an HK compatible amp as well from them? A new HK amp from BMW is at least 1K so this is very interesting if true as I have all new HK speakers and the amp is otw out and I dont really want to pay 1k for a stock unit that will crap out down the road.
              2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Fwiw, I had the e90 version of this amp from Audiotec Fischer. I can echo the OPs comments. It was shockingly good. Iirc I paid about $1k with a custom e91 Hifi “tune”. It still lives on a decade later in that car. I didn’t even bother to upgrade the speakers after the amp. I’m sure that would have helped further, but the amp in that car was the lowest hanging fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                  Just clarifying OP... you got a plug and play amp for the factory system without having to do any wiring and there is an HK compatible amp as well from them? A new HK amp from BMW is at least 1K so this is very interesting if true as I have all new HK speakers and the amp is otw out and I dont really want to pay 1k for a stock unit that will crap out down the road.
                  Yes however just check with them for the HK model that will work. It took me longer to mount the amp then getting it to work. The power output is way higher and cleaner than the factory amps. I love it so far. Just need to learn how to tune it so I can dial it in better.

Comment

Following, very curious to hear if you pursue the HK one thegenius46m

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                      Following, very curious to hear if you pursue the HK one thegenius46m
                      I saw a post online that it works with HK also however I would email before purchasing to be 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

I saw a post online that it works with HK also however I would email before purchasing to be 100% sure.
                        Where did you see that post? I've seen it posted on a "local" website shop that it works with E46, but only after 2006 models and only with the 674 HK option?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

Where did you see that post? I've seen it posted on a "local" website shop that it works with E46, but only after 2006 models and only with the 674 HK option?

Regards
                          I’ll try and find it however it wasn't in a E46. The one I also purchased wasn't really made for the E46 and it works perfectly. I would really email jason@msc-america.com and he would let you know 100%.

Comment

For those of you that have upgraded to an Avin, or similar, did you. Keep the amp in the loop or delete?

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                              For those of you that have upgraded to an Avin, or similar, did you. Keep the amp in the loop or delete?
                              Delete. Most modern head units let you control the subwoofer separately, which lends to a separate sub amp. I have the now old school BavSound Vert subwoofer, which came with a separate sub amp. For me that extra control over crossover frequencies and level was at least as important as the extra power. For a coupe, I’d expect OP’s solution to be just fine. Top down is where you need a completely different system IMO.

maw

Comment

Working...
                              X