Broken VANOS solenoid connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Broken VANOS solenoid connector?

Pretty common to break the connector trying to get it off. For some reason BMW made it super duper tight. I had some VANOS and TPS related fault codes at COTA. I replaced both TPS, gas pedal and both cam position sensors (probably needed it). Then when I was replacing the freeze plug I realized that I forgot I had zip tied the solenoid connector that broke at the track.

Found out that BMW sells the connector separately - Part No 61-13-8-383-300. I don't think I've seen this mentioned here. I assumed I would have to buy 20 different connectors and pin hoping that I have the right part.

1. On the new part, use a pick and gently pry the tabs circled to release the blue socket from the outer black housing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	138053E6-9486-42F1-BE80-3EA15D8BFB23.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	196365

2. Remove the pink clips so you can insert the pins. Take a pick and push down through the top and then slide the clip out.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	F95C93A6-C41A-4FC6-A4AE-8E9BFC1F9A35.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	196366

Click image for larger version  Name:	06CEAF54-9748-4474-BAB2-D3872D4CEB77.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.6 KB ID:	196372

Click image for larger version  Name:	9B9823BE-B252-4B58-9F6B-63D00BA317B9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	196370

3. The new part should be separated with the pink clips removed. There are 6 positions which are numbered 1-6. Basically you transfer the wires over…duh. You can rip the clips out on the old socket. You’ll see a little arrow, press down on the arrow with a very small flat head screwdriver and gently pull. Then insert the wire THROUGH THE BLACK OUTER HOUSING and then in the same position in the new blue socket.

Kind of important to thread the wire through the black outer housing first...if you can't figure out why then you should hire a tech to do this for you.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27347637-388E-4C4A-970A-D92E764962DA.jpg Views:	5 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	196371

Click image for larger version  Name:	A99EB38E-E75A-432E-8D77-D71CEF335477.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	196368

4. Repeat until all 6 wires are in the same position in the new blue socket. Slide the pink clips in place and pull the outer black housing over the blue socket until it is clipped in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	34BC8632-83E9-4823-A8DC-06D1E8095A9D.jpg Views:	4 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	196369

It will be a PIA to get on. I sprayed a little bit of WD40 on the clear gasket on the blue connector.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigjae46; 12-15-2022, 01:57 PM.

Sorry to hear that happened. From everyone - thanks for the good DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      Sorry to hear that happened. From everyone - thanks for the good DIY.
      I've had much worse happen...lol

Comment

Cheers for the heads up.
        I think that I'll buy a spare connector in case.

Comment

Think it was mentioned on the old forum but that info didn't carry over. Broken connector absolutely will cause all sorts of issues. I replaced mine for similar issues years ago. Good connector to have on hand in case they nla it like a bunch of things lately.
          2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Awesome write up and thanks for this. Just added 61-13-8-383-300 to my shopping cart!
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
              Awesome write up and thanks for this. Just added 61-13-8-383-300 to my shopping cart!
              Thanks. I'm feeling quite proud of this DIY now. Shocked that I beat out all of the anal-retentive and OCD people here in writing this. lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Thanks. I'm feeling quite proud of this DIY now. Shocked that I beat out all of the anal-retentive and OCD people here in writing this. lol
                LOL

Guilty as charged.
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I just replaced mine during a cooling system refresh. Less than $10!

Here is a video to supplement the DIY above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQLi4ivK1HE
                  Last edited by D-O; 12-20-2022, 11:10 AM.
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Yep, mine was busted and I had to replace it as well!

Comment

I broke mine too during the Vanos rebuild. Is a bitch to take off. And this plug is used in several places like the xenon level sensors

Comment

What tool are you guys using to remove the pins from the connector?

Comment

What tool are you guys using to remove the pins from the connector?
                          A flat head jeweler’s screwdriver.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

A flat head jeweler’s screwdriver.
                            Thanks. I didn't know if they needed an electrical pin punch.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know if they needed an electrical pin punch.
                              That's probably the correct tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X