Final Drive Gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Drive Gearing

Anyone here running a 3.85 final drive with a 5/6 speed? Currently running oem 3.62 but looking to upgrade to a clutch limited slip. For reference, I run both Nor/SoCal tracks and would like to avoid having to shift to 5th and rev over 8k. Any rpm/mph would be greatly appreciated. PFA, TIA!

Can't really add much here from real world experience in this car (I'm still running stock gearing and only street drive this car)... but I'd probably put a 3.85 in over a 4.10 if I tracked mine.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I had 4.10 for a while with both the stock 6-speed and later ZF 5-speed. On any longer straight (COTA, Road America, Road Atlanta, etc.) I ran out of 5th gear. Swapping to 3.91 cured the gearing issue.

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

I don’t think you’ll be able to avoid shifting to fifth with anything but a stock ratio unless west coast tracks are way slower than I think. I’m at the top of fourth with an 8200rpm redline on even the small-ish New England tracks. That’s about 120mph.

Comment

I have a 3.91. I usually shift at 7500-ish RPMs to increase engine life and better control temps so I'd usually shift into 5th gear or lift with a 3.62 and a 3.73.

The only real benefit of a 3.85 is you can get them at a lower cost from an E9X M3 6 speed.

Video with data - 3.91 on 275/40R17s

Comment

Noted, Thank you all for the replies!

Comment

Working...
            X