Part number ID needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part number ID needed

I'm doing some tidying up on the rear end fixing a sagging bumper and spoiler. I've found that I'm missing two of the spacing mounts in the center of the bumper. I've looked over the trim on realoem but not coming up with anything. Appreciate any help!
    Image Bumper-Plastics in Viddythis's images album

I dont think you can get that part separately, they are bonded to the bumper carrier

638477_x800.webp

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
      I dont think you can get that part separately, they are bonded to the bumper carrier

638477_x800.webp
      Bummer - was hoping to get this done on the cheap. Any idea if the rest of the 3 series use the same carrier? May be worth a trip to a parts yard and either pulling a carrier or chiselling a couple off and epoxying them onto mine.

Comment

Might check with @mpartsworldwide, they may be able to pull a couple for you.

Comment

I would recommend bonding a nut plate to the bottom of the rebar. And then riveting the other mounts that have not fallen off yet. You will have to trim the foam in the bumper a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
            And then riveting the other mounts that have not fallen off yet.
            I used a plastic & carbon fiber friendly 2-part epoxy from JB Weld for the mounts that were failing and called it a day. However, are you drilling out the 4 plastic welds / rivets on the mounts and then using an aluminum rivet to hold the plastic plate in place? I was worried about aluminum-to-carbon corrosion so I opted for the glue.
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
              Might check with @mpartsworldwide, they may be able to pull a couple for you.
              Thanks, I've messaged them!

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

I used a plastic & carbon fiber friendly 2-part epoxy from JB Weld for the mounts that were failing and called it a day. However, are you drilling out the 4 plastic welds / rivets on the mounts and then using an aluminum rivet to hold the plastic plate in place? I was worried about aluminum-to-carbon corrosion so I opted for the glue.
                I was leaning toward epoxy as well; I'd think if you rough up the plastic you'd get a good bond and the JB Weld should get plenty of grip on the weave.

Comment

I don’t think corrosion is an issue with kevlar…not sure if it’s electrically conductive like carbon fiber.

It’s been so long but I’m pretty sure I just drilled out the old rivets.

Comment

Do you remember which epoxy it was? I tried their plastic weld as thats what I had on hand but it came right off with a light tug. In the other related thread, a member said they had done it with plastic bond which I've now ordered and hoping it gives better results
                    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

Do you remember which epoxy it was? I tried their plastic weld as thats what I had on hand but it came right off with a light tug. In the other related thread, a member said they had done it with plastic bond which I've now ordered and hoping it gives better results
                      The JB Weld plastic epoxy is extremely strong if mixed and applied correctly. It’s currently holding most of my E39 underbody plastics together after running over a dead deer a year or two ago. Plastic bond is the stick iirc? I haven’t had great luck with that one on the other hand

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

The JB Weld plastic epoxy is extremely strong if mixed and applied correctly. It’s currently holding most of my E39 underbody plastics together after running over a dead deer a year or two ago. Plastic bond is the stick iirc? I haven’t had great luck with that one on the other hand
                        I used plastic weld epoxy , but the one linked in the other thread is plastic bond epoxy. Now that you mention it, though, I did poke around and managed to find a stick of what I can now confirm is also called "plastic bond"
                        2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I don’t think corrosion is an issue with kevlar…not sure if it’s electrically conductive like carbon fiber.

It’s been so long but I’m pretty sure I just drilled out the old rivets.
                          Err, ahh... yeah. Kevlar is what I meant to say.

Here is what I used:

Same thing lemoose linked to just above in his second link.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

I used plastic weld epoxy , but the one linked in the other thread is plastic bond epoxy. Now that you mention it, though, I did poke around and managed to find a stick of what I can now confirm is also called "plastic bond"
                            Ah yeah. I used the latter “plastic bond epoxy” that you linked. Underbody paneling was all split apart and fractured .. the epoxied parts are stronger than the original now. It works great.

Comment

Err, ahh... yeah. Kevlar is what I meant to say.

Here is what I used:

Same thing lemoose linked to just above in his second link.
                              You will probably want to stick with epoxy. It will wet out the kevlar and self-level..should be a much better bond.

Comment

Working...
                              X