Hvac won’t turn off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hvac won’t turn off?

Anyone have this issue. Haven’t driven the car much this year. I got in the car to move it so I can work on my other car and the hvac won’t turn off. The last settings are stuck. None of the buttons work. Some quick research said fsr is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FSR won't affect the buttons. Just fan will generally only work on full if it's the FSR. Not every HVAC problem is the FSR. Something else. Maybe power cycle control unit by unplugging it (or just whole car by disconnecting the battery)

Comment

Pull the HVAC fuse in the glove box to reset it. Can’t remember the number. I had to do it twice a couple months ago. Haven’t had the problem since 🤞

Comment

As stated above, the fuse can reset it; otherwise, the HVAC control unit might be faulty. Pretty easy to find a used unit from any E46.

Comment

Simple fuse pull did the trick. Thanks guys

Comment

Ok issue is back. If I turn the hvac off after driving for 20 mins with it on. It won't turn back on unless I pull fuse 28 then it will turn back on. Guess is it's the climate control unit itself

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
              Ok issue is back. If I turn the hvac off after driving for 20 mins with it on. It won't turn back on unless I pull fuse 28 then it will turn back on. Guess is it's the climate control unit itself

Could be the unit itself or an external relay that is sticking on.

Comment

Is the unit an early or late one? The early ones seem to start showing issues as they start getting older. Mine would randomly reboot and switch to some previously used setting. Swapped it for a late style unit and all has been good.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Is the unit an early or late one? The early ones seem to start showing issues as they start getting older. Mine would randomly reboot and switch to some previously used setting. Swapped it for a late style unit and all has been good.
                  Yeah my 02 325i daily does this. My m3 is a 03.5. I think it might be the relay. I'll change that next. Are all these units the same? I noticed some have the little grills on top and some on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post

Yeah my 02 325i daily does this. My m3 is a 03.5. I think it might be the relay. I'll change that next. Are all these units the same? I noticed some have the little grills on top and some on the bottom.

They're not the same, but they're interchangeable. Might need a bit of coding depending on what car the used unit came out of.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The newer control unit has the fan speed and temp control as separate buttons. Find a used unit (newer version) and it should be plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                      X