PPF? Mudflaps? Chip Protection for Wide Sticky Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPF? Mudflaps? Chip Protection for Wide Sticky Tires

This year I'll be driving the car to the track on my 200TW tires rather than swapping them once I get there. 9.5" wide with ET35 up front means I get a fair amount of poke throwing debris down the side of the car. The paint on this car is far from perfect, but it's still very presentable IMO and I'd like to see if there's anything worth doing to keep presentable just that much longer.

My two ideas are really mud flaps, or some PPF along part of the side of the car. Mud flaps look kinda meh and PPF ain't cheap. That said, XPEL has some pre-cut kits for our cars like: https://www.xpel.com/Rear-Wheel-Impa...TIMATE-PLUS_48 that may be worth giving a go.

Anyone have any insights or experience along these lines?

Also here are some pictures of some generic mud flaps mocked up with masking tape. The lighting is making them appear more gray than they really are, they're black. I could also probably tuck them in more, but I don't know the guidance for how far out they should/shouldn't poke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230203_221713833.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	204041 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230203_221637970.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	204042 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230203_221629347.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	204043
    Attached Files

PPF all the way. If you want to have even more protection, add another layer of blue masking tape on track day.

Comment

I run mudflaps on s2k because someone in the community makes decent ones and they are easily attached on that car (screws that hold the inner liner are in perfect location down low). On M3 it is a bit more challenged since we have those 3 plastic rivets in front and in rear by bumper there is 1 push pin.

There is also something called track armour, which is clear tape and comes in different widths (3/6/12"). It is really sticky and works better than painter's tape (amazon link below).
      TRACK ARMOUR TA3X100-3" x 100' - Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car https://a.co/d/iOGBNcF

If you are going for something semi permanent, I heard really good things about xpel precuts. I purchased some (haven't installed yet) for wife's car to cover the headlights to protect from UV (car sits outside). Xpel film rolls is what shops use for PPF jobs, so nice that they offer precuts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Just a heads up. While PPF on the front of the rear wheel arch will help tremendously, you will still have rubber and rocks hit the unprotected areas like the front fenders, doors, and rear bumper. Full PPF would be nice, but $$$.
        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Just use some painter's tape in affected areas. The imagined issue is far worse than the HPDE reality. You're more likely to get tire clag - which comes off easily. ReJex is good preventive for clag rubber (I use it in front of the rear fenders).

You can get 3M as a HPDE sponsor.

Name:	ET6fJO.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	204058

Comment

Thanks for the inputs y'all. Honestly it's not even the track day itself that has me concerned, I've just been rocking those naked anyway, but the ideas here are definitely noted.

I'm more concerned that I'll now be doing long highway drives to the track with stickier tires, and trying to evaluate if there's something cheap I can do to mitigate some of the damage there.

If the paint was mint I'd be more willing to investigate the PPF route, but I don't want to spend thousands to cover paint that's already got chips in it. The front bumper and hood will need a respray at some point, and maybe then I'll evaluate PPF for those sections. My main areas of concern are below the beltline trim on the doors from the front wheels back. I'm 50/50 on just getting a roll of Scotchgard and attempting a DIY on each side to see how I end up.

Comment

I forgot to mention TrakTape. I used it for years at the track. Very strong protection. clear and removes without issue at the end of the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                There is also something called track armour, which is clear tape and comes in different widths (3/6/12"). It is really sticky and works better than painter's tape (amazon link below).
                TRACK ARMOUR TA3X100-3" x 100' - Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car https://a.co/d/iOGBNcF
                +1 for TRACK ARMOUR, I also use this for paint protection while working on the car.

Comment

+2 for Track Armour its worth the time to put on. But if you're looking for full time protection it's not for you as it truly is just a temporary application. I'll put it on before the road trip to the track and leave it on for the drive home, by then it's starting to fall off. So if you're not willing to spend money on ppf you may have to settle for mudflaps

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                    I run mudflaps on s2k because someone in the community makes decent ones and they are easily attached on that car (screws that hold the inner liner are in perfect location down low). On M3 it is a bit more challenged since we have those 3 plastic rivets in front and in rear by bumper there is 1 push pin.
                    Yea it's unfortunate that there aren't great mounting points as-is. I was looking at maybe putting plastic rivet nuts into the fender liners as a way to bolt the flaps on.

Comment

I run Rally Armor on my STI---nothing on the M3. I feel your pain and concern. Way back, BMW did offer a factory mudflap for these cars, but NLA.

Comment

I bought a pair of small plain plastic mudflaps from a local auto parts and trimmed them to the front distal wheel wells.
                        I used the three pushpin fasteners by inserting the flap between the fender and the inner wheel arch panels.
                        It looks goofy but 265/35/18 on ET 22 9.5 looks naff by itself.
                        I'm looking at Porsche 930 style decals, bmw decals and M2 carbon fiber front flaps.

Comment

I would suggest doing PPF under the side moldings that go all the way back. It's more cost effective than doing the whole car, hits the majority of where you're really going to get chips, and would be the least noticeable.

I am bias however, as i do ppf for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post

Name:	PXL_20230203_221713833.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	204041 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230203_221637970.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	204042 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230203_221629347.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	204043
                            You might consider figuring out a mounting method for these flaps just for track transit that can be easily removed once at the track via zip ties or a small riv nut or plastic clip in the fender liner. Reusable and then you don't have to mess around with films
                            2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
                            X