Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak / sometimes smells of burnt oil - Valve cover gasket? (SOLVED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post
    For future reference I just had an oil leak that from the bottom presented like the typical VCG or CPV leak, but my half moons were dry and CPV was replaced recently. It turned out to be the o-ring on the rear camshaft position sensor, which was dripping down to the oil pan / reinforcement plate and caked all over the O2 sensor wires. Even with an inspection mirror it wasn't immediately obvious where it was coming from.

19 years and 180k miles later, that thing had turned to a piece of hard black plastic, to the point where when I pulled the sensor I mistook it for part of the sensor itself and thought some idiot had re-installed it without an o-ring.

$2 for a replacement Uro brand o-ring from O'Reilly and good to go – in my impatience almost let the stealer get me for $11 on a part that probably costs two cents.
    How did you check the half moons were dry? Even I have an endoscope, but I can't point / angle it to the half room due to super tight space.

What tools do you use ?

Comment

Originally posted by y2k_o__o View Post

How did you check the half moons were dry? Even I have an endoscope, but I can't point / angle it to the half room due to super tight space.

What tools do you use ?
      Just a standard inspection mirror like this one, you'll need to have at least the cabin air filter assembly removed to get the right angle for a clean view. Then just hang your entire body over the engine bay 😂
      '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
      All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by y2k_o__o View Post

What tools do you use ?
        I was able to get a pretty good look with just a telescopic mirror (about 50mm diameter mirror) and good light. Edit: exactly like the Craftsman one linked above.

A cheap endoscope with a *side* camera also worked pretty well
        Last edited by Shonky; 05-11-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

Haha true, but for a run of the mill o-ring that's a standard part across decades of BMWs I'll take my chances, otherwise I usually wouldn't.
          Depends if they used an appropriate material and/or got the sizing right

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

It appears I might have this same oil leak.

Around Feb 2020 I installed the Elring VCG, Elring Valve Cover Seal Washers x 13, Elring Spark Plug Tube Seals x 6, but OEM Valve Cover Grommets x 2.

I've done roughly 6500 km (4000 miles) since then.

If replacing the VCG, would I need to/should I replace all the above parts again with OEM?

I've already done the viton CPV o-ring and I'll also be replacing the Camshaft Position Sensors o-rings... but is there anything else I could do to be oil leak free?
            Last edited by WoGGo; 07-29-2023, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Try and find the leak before you just replace everything however myself and others will say Elring VCG just didn't last. I changed over to genuine and it stopped leaking.

You can experiment with some RTV around the half moons too. I can't remember if TIS says yes or no for that.

That said the Elring was fine initially and lasted maybe a year for me. The genuine one I have now is holding up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                Try and find the leak before you just replace everything however myself and others will say Elring VCG just didn't last. I changed over to genuine and it stopped leaking.
                For arguments sake, let's say it was the Elring VCG that is the source of the leak, considering the age/mileage of the Elring Valve Cover Seal Washers x 13, Elring Spark Plug Tube Seals x 6, but OEM Valve Cover Grommets x 2, would I need to replace them?

Comment

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post

For arguments sake, let's say it was the Elring VCG that is the source of the leak, considering the age/mileage of the Elring Valve Cover Seal Washers x 13, Elring Spark Plug Tube Seals x 6, but OEM Valve Cover Grommets x 2, would I need to replace them?
                  I wouldn't bother at that age. I did all that and just used whatever FCP had in their kit. Pretty sure it was all Elring. When I went back I only re-did the valve cover gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post

Read both of your comments - here's my opinion: replace all of it with OEM. If you've already done everything else (CPV o-ring, etc) and you're still seeing leakage, I would do all of these again. You're already going to pull the VCG, why not do everything else while you're there? We're not talking a crazy amount of money to do all the other components at the same time. Plus it would absolutely suck if you put it all back together to only find out that a few thousands miles down the road something is leaking again, except now you have Elring and OEM parts in there and to try and pin point what is causing the leak will be a further headache.
                    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Anyone tried the Corteco VCG? It actually says VR on it LOL

and the VR is half the price:

WTH is going on over here LOL

Comment

The Elring VCG always leaks in short order, if not immediately. This is just one of those areas of the car where you should get the part with the BMW sticker on it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Son of a b**** my VCG is leaking again. Stupid Elring!

I am buying OEM this time. FCP won't do a credit towards it because it's a different manufacturer, but it's worth it to not have that oil smell again.

My question is - Should I also replace all the bolt gaskets and the spark plug tube gaskets? I haven't noticed any leaks at the bolts so probably not necessary, but can't tell with the spark plug tube gaskets since they're inside. The OEM ones are $222 for a set of 6 which is absolutely absurd, which leaves the options of Victor-Reinz or Elring.
                          BMW M3 parts online. Buy OEM & Genuine parts with a Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping and Unlimited 365 Day Returns.

Thinking of going VR just because I know the Elring sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

I am buying OEM this time. FCP won't do a credit towards it because it's a different manufacturer, but it's worth it to not have that oil smell again.

My question is - Should I also replace all the bolt gaskets and the spark plug tube gaskets? I haven't noticed any leaks at the bolts so probably not necessary, but can't tell with the spark plug tube gaskets since they're inside. The OEM ones are $222 for a set of 6 which is absolutely absurd, which leaves the options of Victor-Reinz or Elring.
                            https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...ds=11127831271

I replaced all of mine with all OEM BMW parts and hadn't had an issue until the car went down for its HG. I cannot believe the price hike on those!! I just bought that exact kit for $64 back in Feb. Maybe write or call FCP and see what's the deal with those and why they're so much more than 6 months ago? That's insane!

Sorry to hear this man, the Elring VCG should honestly be pulled from their catalog. I've emailed them and sent them this thread showing all of the different stories and cases where that specific gasket has failed way too early, no response
                            - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

BMW M3 parts online. Buy OEM & Genuine parts with a Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping and Unlimited 365 Day Returns.

Replace the VCG and reuse the grommets.

Comment

Had this issue also, I had heard from a fellow m3 buddy there was a bad batch of elring gaskets. I replaced my elring vcg that was a few thousand miles old that was leaking in the middle with another new elring one. It leaked in the same spot ( not a lot but noticed during cold start) and I replaced the valve cover instead from my spare motor, the gasket was the same. Leaked went away. Weird... Also did this with my exhaust cam sensor and it still leaked, bought OEM from pelican. Going to have to try another one again.

Comment

Working...
                                X