Plug and Play Airbox shenanigans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug and Play Airbox shenanigans

Would it be an outright dumb idea and is it even feasible to install the CSL airbox (and have the car run) on a bare stock non-HP DME? Reasoning: the rest of the parts needed for the install (save for a converted and flashed DME) just came in but I have a trip lined up this coming week (before which I'll send off the DME for the conversion since I won't be using it) and I'm jonesing to hear that sweet noise and get a little ahead so that when I come back, I just have to plug the now-converted DME in and enjoy. I think the reasonable middle-of-the-road option would be to enable the alpha N option on the ECUWorx tool, right?
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Even with running Alpha N, you will be flowing much more air in the the engine with the CSL airbox over stock. My guess is that you will run lean without a proper tune.
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

if you're still in Houston, I'd let you borrow one

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
        if you're still in Houston, I'd let you borrow one
        Appreciate the offer anyways man.

btw how in the world are the throttle body boots clamps on the airbox side supposed to be reused? Ive tried flattening the ear on them to get them to wrap to their original position with no luck. Are they ok to reuse with the next up position?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

btw how in the world are the throttle body boots clamps on the airbox side supposed to be reused? Ive tried flattening the ear on them to get them to wrap to their original position with no luck. Are they ok to reuse with the next up position?

Edit: Ignore me. I鈥檓 illiterate.

You need the 01-04 boots, or these:
          https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...t-with-clamps/
          Last edited by SQ13; 02-08-2023, 02:06 PM.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Those are one-time use clamps. Aesthetically, the ear of those clamps should be facing downward if you are using an angled ear clamp tool. You'll need to order new ones or you can use NORMA 50-70mm screw clamps which are reusable. Be careful not to overtighten the screw clamps.

Comment

technically they're one-time use clamps but I've been reusing them. I bend them out so they're "square" rather than pinched in at the bottom. I used dikes/diagonal cutters and carefully pinched them to tighten them. Now I bought the proper tool to pinch them .
              Last edited by zzyzx85; 02-09-2023, 09:29 AM.
              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                technically they're one-time use clamps but I've reused them before. I've bent them out so they're "square" rather than pinched in at the bottom. I then used dikes/diagonal cutters and carefully pinched them to tighten them. I later bought the proper tool to pinch them .
                I was going to write pretty much the same exact comment lol

Have reused them before, used the wrong tool, worked fine. Eventually bought new ones and installed with the right tool
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I was going to write pretty much the same exact comment lol

Have reused them before, used the wrong tool, worked fine. Eventually bought new ones and installed with the right tool
                  Dang- i ended up just ordering new ones- couldnt get them squared up to save my life

Comment

Those clamps are a giant pain in the dick. There are some alternatives people use that are easier and multi use, but I don't have those handy. It's gotta be a specific size. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Dang- i ended up just ordering new ones- couldnt get them squared up to save my life
                      I dont have the patience to try and get those clamps on, I even bought the tool, I'm apparently not qualified. Shit I ran with just zip ties for a while and no noticeable issue....though I'm not advising it

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                        Shit I ran with just zip ties for a while
                        Delete this right now!
                        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

Delete this right now!
                          馃槀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Having run the airbox on Alpha N back in the day, before MAP running it was an option, I wouldn't do it (and, in fact, back then went back to the stock airbox for a couple of years, until the MAP based setup became a thing). The car may run right in specific instances, but never overall.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Wrong
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 DCT Slicktop Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Coupe 6spd Slicktop zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                              X