Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    Wrong
    You don't even have seasons in Socal, how would you know?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I knwo I know, I do have perfect conditions in weather/altitude. But if you talk to Hassan, he can work some real magic with even some basic AFR feedback though video chat (AEM wideband/display) if not a dyno session.

But also, I don't appreciate that our community talks so badly about Alpha N when that's what race teams run, and the bulk of what even the CSL uses, AND I personally have had great operation for 6+ years now AND while many people, including close M3 friends of mine, have had similar issues that are attributed to alpha N tune, with their CSL/MAP setups from even top tuners like Paul Claude.

I want to see more balance. You're really splitting hairs between a modern alpha N setup and CSL/MAP, especially when the difference is in operation of the car in a way that doesn't matter that much to many of us now with how the car is used - i.e., not a daily in city/traffic driving, in the parking lot with very sensitive/light inputs. Plus, we're not regular people who need "dummy" type operation. If I have to manipulate my throttle mapping slightly or my foot's pressure upon tip-in, big deal. We have a difficult getrag to work with, we have a clunkly driveline that we sometimes have to help be less clunky with how we clutch/throttle, for example.

Then, lastly, the biggest part of alpha N's stigma, I believe, is that people try it first, since it's cheaper/easier, then complain when their car doesn work right, when really, their precat o2s, tps, air filter, vanos, etc need sorting first. Greater resolution from MAF/MAp can also hide or cover for other issues no?

I don't think it's luck that I had such sucess with an off the shellf canned Evolve alpha N tune on my 160k car when, right before hand, I spent thousands on engine refreshing (like literally every thing except internals save bearings).
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I knwo I know, I do have perfect conditions in weather/altitude. But if you talk to Hassan, he can work some real magic with even some basic AFR feedback though video chat (AEM wideband/display) if not a dyno session.

But also, I don't appreciate that our community talks so badly about Alpha N when that's what race teams run, and the bulk of what even the CSL uses, AND I personally have had great operation for 6+ years now AND while many people, including close M3 friends of mine, have had similar issues that are attributed to alpha N tune, with their CSL/MAP setups from even top tuners like Paul Claude.

I want to see more balance. You're really splitting hairs between a modern alpha N setup and CSL/MAP, especially when the difference is in operation of the car in a way that doesn't matter that much to many of us now with how the car is used - i.e., not a daily in city/traffic driving, in the parking lot with very sensitive/light inputs. Plus, we're not regular people who need "dummy" type operation. If I have to manipulate my throttle mapping slightly or my foot's pressure upon tip-in, big deal. We have a difficult getrag to work with, we have a clunkly driveline that we sometimes have to help be less clunky with how we clutch/throttle, for example.

Then, lastly, the biggest part of alpha N's stigma, I believe, is that people try it first, since it's cheaper/easier, then complain when their car doesn work right, when really, their precat o2s, tps, air filter, vanos, etc need sorting first. Greater resolution from MAF/MAp can also hide or cover for other issues no?

I don't think it's luck that I had such sucess with an off the shellf canned Evolve alpha N tune on my 160k car when, right before hand, I spent thousands on engine refreshing (like literally every thing except internals save bearings).
        I had the Evolve Alpha N setup on my car back in the day-- both canned and dyno tuned. It was bad enough, in some conditions, that I went back to stock airbox/MAF. Nothing about my setup was cheaper the first round.

Race cars are about the ideal application of Alpha N-- only has to work well at once specific altitude/temperature/day.

The car certainly could be driven around on the Alpha N setup, and was good in some conditions. But, that's not what I want from any part I put on the car-- to stay on it has to be better, full stop.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          Having run the airbox on Alpha N back in the day, before MAP running it was an option, I wouldn't do it (and, in fact, back then went back to the stock airbox for a couple of years, until the MAP based setup became a thing). The car may run right in specific instances, but never overall.
          This was my experience too on the Z4M which is supposed to be better in Alpha-N spec, and this was the reason I traded a bit of induction volume and went to the Karb MAF airbox with an Eventuri. Much better.
          Last edited by maupineda; 02-13-2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

That is interesting because countless dyno sessions in I have Hassan telling my friend the reason his car does not run well below 5k is BECAUSE he is on alpha-N and is missing a huge data point (ie air density) with the CSL intake. If its a dedicated track car that gets dyno'd before every track, or you never leave the flats of san diego, then sure, but in the real world im not so sure its ideal. I also lived in so-cal, and even with the constant weather and altitude decided to go MAP. Peak of GMR is +4000' from sea level, Thats a big change in air density, how could you not want that sort of data input?
            2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
            @ JT_E30

Comment

Plus one for hitting Hassan up at HTE Performance. The wait sucks but it's totally worth it, dont mess with the engine on t non hp ecu. Just hit up Hassan and he will remotely tune it in about 30 minutes!

Comment

After happening on some more content that I wish I had before, is the CSL conversion not necessary to run the MAP sensor? Is the entire Airbox + MAP plug and play for HP DMEs? I will definitely be getting this tuned by Hassan but it would be nice if I could still use the car in some capacity until then.
                2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
                  After happening on some more content that I wish I had before, is the CSL conversion not necessary to run the MAP sensor? Is the entire Airbox + MAP plug and play for HP DMEs? I will definitely be getting this tuned by Hassan but it would be nice if I could still use the car in some capacity until then.
                  CSL software on the HP DME is necessary to run the MAP sensor.

Comment

So im thinking of buying csl and getting tune from Hassan but my question is before tune do i need to purchase HP ecu conversion or does Hassan handles that aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Theraqa View Post
                      So im thinking of buying csl and getting tune from Hassan but my question is before tune do i need to purchase HP ecu conversion or does Hassan handles that aswell?
                      You need an HP DME (or converted nonHP to HP), then he can flash the CSL software and off you go.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Is Hassan doing street tunes or do you need to schedule dyno time? I’m still running a ttfs toon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

You need an HP DME (or converted nonHP to HP), then he can flash the CSL software and off you go.
                          Thanks for reply, i actually opened my dme box and found that my car has HP ecu already, so many bucks have been saved 😁

Comment

Working...
                          X