Opinion: Valve adjustment 10k early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post
    Whenever I have the VC opened, for a quick check, I measure the gap for one valve, then rocking that rocker and listen to the sound of impact, which can tell how far or close the gap is. Using the sound as a reference, I can check the rest of the valve clearance just by rocking the rockers. The sound will be louder for wider gap and softer for closer gap.
    Remind me to never let you do my lash...

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      Whenever I have the VC opened, for a quick check, I measure the gap for one valve, then rocking that rocker and listen to the sound of impact, which can tell how far or close the gap is. Using the sound as a reference, I can check the rest of the valve clearance just by rocking the rockers. The sound will be louder for wider gap and softer for closer gap.
      really! I'd never expect this advice from someone as technical as you... I hope you are not serious, ^^ this is perfect if you want to do it wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

really! I'd never expect this advice from someone as technical as you... I hope you are not serious, ^^ this is perfect if you want to do it wrong...
        It’s better than doing nothing.
        It is for detection, not for setting the valve gap.
        You can hear the too loose or too tight gaps.

Comment

I think it's a fine technique if you have a trained ear and you've a natural mechanic, doing valve adjustments fairly often to know what's what.

A little loose is not the end of the world, you're not gonna find 10 missing horsepower from a few thousandths of an inch.

If you want to be fast, use the feeler on the lower end of the spec range to mostly make sure it's not too tight (worst thing), then if it's not, good, you can then feel if it's too loose with that same feeler. No drag at all, IME, means the gap is too big.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
          X