Supercharge owner are you happy !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercharge owner are you happy !

From 2018 mine was supercharged, now in 2023 i can’t make my mind either to keep her like this or go back to NA again .

Keep her supercharged .
    73.33%
    Go back to NA again .
    33.33%

Dude, roughly 99% are going to say NA. Poll is a waste of time. You go FI because you want to, not because others do or don't want to. You want less power, torque, and the ability to get off alpha-n? Then go NA.

I'm FI using ESS. No problems after roughly 8,000 miles. Weekend car that stays at one reasonably consistent elevation and used only when the sun is shining.
    Last edited by oceansize; 03-06-2023, 08:52 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

if you go back to NA then get ready to accept that this car is simply SLOW. you can max out all the NA mods you want but you'd only be doing it to enhance the original "character" of the car, you're still gonna get walked on by most performance cars out there

speed is addictive and you've already had a taste, gl going back

Comment

My ex Z4M Coupe has been ESS Vt1-445 from the last 13years / 90000km. I did lot of track days with it. Also had an ESS VT2-575 E46 M3, a Dinan S3R E46 M3 and an AA 480 E46 M3. Prefer the ESS kit vs others.

For a track car, I prefer NA cause less weight on front axle, simpler and easier access to engine components. And didn’t feel the difference in HP was a big advantage vs a lightweight built car.

For street driving, SC with a 4.10 was fun! But I still prefer NA feeling
        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
        2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I can't see un-boosting a boosted car. But if there was a car that didn't need boosting, these would be that. The E39M and E92X would also fit.

maw

Comment

I've been boosted for a total of 60000 miles and since 2010 on my car. I'd do it again, no questions asked.

Comment

Turbocharged here.

I came from a carbon air box 3 years ago with the CSL tune making roughly 296 to the wheels with just an air box. No exhaust or any other mods. It was slow..... I got tired of pretty much not being able to keep up with anything other than other E46 m3s. I also really hated that the car made so much noise and didn't really seem to go anywhere. With the turbo set up. It's pretty much super quiet with everything routed back into the exhaust properly.

today, Everybody's doing the air box now more than ever. It sounds good and looks pretty under the hood but bottom line it's still slow by today's standards.

If you're the type of person that's okay with being slow and enjoying nice engine sounds then you stay NA.

Many if not most people with the S54 are going to live and die by the power of NA. Some people don't care about speed or power. They care more about the natural characteristics and original sound and power of the engine.

Comment

With the price, lately, of a decent E46 M3, I don't see the sense in buying one to go FI just to be (almost) as fast as modern cars. Just get an F80, the new n54 335i. And unlike most modern BMWs, the F80 is pretty damn good looking besides the catfish front.

As far as speed goes, I guess I'm lucky to have such twisty roads, but I can go faster than I should or any other car in my old/slow NA E46 or E90. Drag racing on the highway is just so lame.

OP: Do what ever you want. Everyone's different. If you want opinions, then the E46 M3 should obviously be N/A for the full motorsport/CSL experience as created by BMW.
                Last edited by Tbonem3; 03-06-2023, 08:44 AM.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

NA can be decently quick as well, just requires a lot of $ for parts (which boost does as well.) Kinda pointless because this car is designed and best enjoyed on track or backroads with minimal weight. That being said, I am guessing with a full NA build and lightweight measures the car can do high 11's/low 12's at 115-120+ mph which is about as fast as a stock F80 M3.

Just think of the E46 M3 as a big Integra Type R/S2000, a precise tool for corner carving that isn't easily shoehorned into being a straight line car without distorting the original vision and intention of the car.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Personally, I think forced induction defeats the purpose of an engine like the s54. I would buy a new car for outright speed, this one is about the character and responsiveness. But that is just an opinion.

What I really want to know is how you maniacs think the E46 is slow for a street car. Sure, it is slow for the track compared to modern machinery. But it is already basically too fast for the street in stock form.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                      Personally, I think forced induction defeats the purpose of an engine like the s54. I would buy a new car for outright speed, this one is about the character and responsiveness. But that is just an opinion.

What I really want to know is how you maniacs think the E46 is slow for a street car. Sure, it is slow for the track compared to modern machinery. But it is already basically too fast for the street in stock form.
                      I've got two other more modern NA vehicles both with 450 plus HP at the crank and 440 plus ft-lbs of torque plus the FI M3 and a boosted modified four cylinder as well and I don't feel any of the four are overpowered but then again I live in a very rural area so I don't deal with traffic. I'm constantly on the backroads enjoying them. Not sure on the responsive comment either. My FI M3 is as responsive as anything else I own. To me the 450 HP at the crank is the magical number (depending on weight of course) for maximum enjoyment on the street. Fast in a straight line but not too scary on curvy road. I realize not everyone has the luxury of having good, and clear, backroads. I have heard, repeatedly, that cooling an FI e46 m3 on the track is problematic.
                      Last edited by oceansize; 03-06-2023, 03:10 PM.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I wondered if you would confess, LOL. I also drive a 500hp+ street German, and while it's too fast for the street, I certainly won't be stripping it of its balls. Once you get used to it, there's zero incentive in hustling backward.

maw

Comment

With my Z4M Coupe ESS VT1-445 on track during cold days, the car would get into limp mode… not enough fuel for cold air mixture…maybe injectors were too small or bad tune from ESS don’t remember
                          2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                          2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
                          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                            To me the 450 HP at the crank is the magical number (depending on weight of course) for maximum enjoyment on the street.
                            Have never driven a FI E46 M3, so can't speak to that. But just wanted to say that 450 crank is almost doable with an NA S54 (420-430 is probably more realistic).

OP, how much power is your car making? If it's making significantly more than a full out NA build would (intake, cams, injectors, full exhaust, ITBs, headwork, etc), then yeah, you might end up missing the extra power. You would get some sweet induction noises though.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                              Have never driven a FI E46 M3, so can't speak to that. But just wanted to say that 450 crank is almost doable with an NA S54 (420-430 is probably more realistic).
                              For sure there is a direct very well known path that gets you close enough today. That path wasn't quite as clear when I went FI. I'll be honest, I scoffed years ago at the dollar per HP a CSL airbox bought you. Seemed borderline retarded to pay all that for such little gains (and noise) unless you were a track rat and didn't want the cooling problems FI presents. That is 100% not the case now. Today, I would at least consider cams, airbox, and a tune where as back then I gave it five seconds of thought and then went straight to a supercharger. Additionally, I remember not having great feelings about the tuners of the day. Was a lot of secrecy and rumors around tuning these cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X