Fairly healthy as far as vices go
    Is red
    Turns pretty good

Things I don't like:

Buying the "wrong" stuff over and over / second guessing everything
    Being paranoid about massive engine or chassis failure
    Realizing I should have bought a LCI or at least a MK60 car
    Knowing I still can't afford a 911
    Overthinking literally everything instead of just enjoying the car because even though it's a giant piece of shit it's still pretty cool
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Just buy an e90 Cris ... Shits all over E36/E46 chassis
      The industry agrees ... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-bmw-m3-coupe-37/

maw

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

because i don't live in a vacuum

Sure? Seem to be lost in space comparing a 20+ year old car to newer ones in a category heavily affected by the passing of time.

says the owner of every vehicle with an unremarkable 0-60mph time

​I don't own every car that has an unremarkable 0-60 time. I own 2 cars. Thought you didn't live in a vacuum - now 0-60 matters so much?

has not always been the case

Which M3 has been a drag racer?

​^ debatable comment from a guy that thinks there's no debate

Please provide a counter

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

- why wouldn't you compare an old car to a newer car? especially if they're very much available to purchase and potentially occupy a garage space?
          - everybody that owns a car with an unremarkable 0-60mph time has to justify it somehow, a popular go-to excuse is that "it's not all about 0-60mph times"
          - a 0-60mph time in the 4s range -used- to be a commendable performance metric. and the E46 M3 -used- to be a fast car.
          - the E46 M3 (or pretty much any M car) was designed to be generally, an all rounder. when a car is well rounded, that means there are other cars out there that can be, for lack of a better term, pointier (case in point, honda s2000 obviously feels much smaller and maneuverable than an E46 M3 at the expense of decreased cargo/people capacity) . hopefully you can empathize that not everyone who is looking to buy a vehicle (espeically a non-DD) wants a well rounded one.

Comment

Lap times >>>> 0-60 times
            Silver Track to Street Car Journal
            Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

- why wouldn't you compare an old car to a newer car? especially if they're very much available to purchase and potentially occupy a garage space?
              - everybody that owns a car with an unremarkable 0-60mph time has to justify it somehow, a popular go-to excuse is that "it's not all about 0-60mph times"
              - a 0-60mph time in the 4s range -used- to be a commendable performance metric. and the E46 M3 -used- to be a fast car.
              - the E46 M3 (or pretty much any M car) was designed to be generally, an all rounder. when a car is well rounded, that means there are other cars out there that can be, for lack of a better term, pointier (case in point, honda s2000 obviously feels much smaller and maneuverable than an E46 M3 at the expense of decreased cargo/people capacity) . hopefully you can empathize that not everyone who is looking to buy a vehicle (espeically a non-DD) wants a well rounded one.
              But... let's stay focused. The question was Likes and Dislikes. Likes and Dislikes are what they are for each person. They're not a comparison. They're not an argument. They're not a debate. They are Likes; and Dislikes. The reasons, arguments, debates and rationales for the Likes and Dislikes are ALL irrelevant.

Talking about how "for this price point" or "compared to that car" or "given what else you can have"... none of that shit matters to the question. The question was Likes; and Dislikes.

I've patiently dealt with the irrelevant discussion, but it doesn't change the fact that it's irrelevant.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

The question was Likes; and Dislikes.

maw

and how is that not relevant to the discussion? some people don't like this car because it's showing it's age

Comment

and how is that not relevant to the discussion? some people don't like this car because it's showing it's age
                  Fair... or because it's slower than new shit... I get where you're coming from... I'll be clear, 12 years ago when my car was pristine I thought the interior was cheap and it didn't have enough torque down low

😂😂

But it was still the last of the best inline 6 M3s from the people who made their careers on inline 6 M3s. So for that reason and many others, I thought it was worth owning and I'd make the same decision today.

When the BMW M division throws up their hands and says "that's all we got out of that format" I raise my hands and say "Gimme one!" Game gotta respect Game.

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 03-14-2023, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Have the streets or laws changed since 2001? The m3 is still fast-for a road car-by any logical metric. Context is important in these discussions. Are we talking road or race cars?

Furthermore, this is about likes and dislikes, but the debate makes it fun. And some dislikes are objectively questionable. Like the interior quality when it was on par with its contemporaries.

I think most all you people have bogus dislikes. The car is damn near perfect. The epitome of what a GT sports car should be. Except for...

1. RACP
                    2. RACP
                    3. RACP
                    4. VANOS
                    5. Drive-by-wire

Comment

The proportions are perfect. Every time I walk into my garage I am struck by how beautiful it is.

It drives beautifully. Every time I drive it I like it more.

The power is entirely adequate. Sure, most any car could use more power, but you will get accustomed to the additional power and just want more. Where does it stop?

I am glad the PO handled the VANOS. I did not enjoy installing the rod bearings, the Vincebar, or the Vinceskinz. The transmission is 10 lbs of turds in a 5 lbs bag.

What would I trade it for? Nothing I can really afford.

D-O

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Dislikes: Everything that comes with an aging car, creaks, driving with cold fluids and the rising cost of replacement parts.

Likes: Everything else. It's truly a complete sports car with enough luxury to be able to enjoy daily. I still look back at this car every time I walk away from it and can't wait to drive off again.

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
                          I could have better overall torsional rigidity with the solid rear bulk head vs a cf roof and still maintain my sunroof.
                          I can understand your dislike about it not having an optional non-folding/solid back rear seats like the sedan.
                          Although I’m not sure why you’re comparing it to a CF roof when highlighting torsional rigidity. The CF roof is not about torsional rigidity(helps very little). It’s about weight savings at the top.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Hate hate hate the clunk

Comment

I'll play. Tapatalk's continuing notification bugs have made forums completely slip my mind for the last couple months. For my particular car:

- CSL SMG software and DME parameters make for nice “brappy” downshifts
                              - Black paint is nearly invisible except to those that know
                              - so much aftermarket and community support
                              - physical knob or button for everything, no infotainment or digi cluster

Dislikes:
                              - creaky plastic in door handles and center console
                              - nvh from 19” wheels
                              - stock electric seat an inch or two too high
                              - driveline clunk and chattery clutch
                              - SMG city drivability and overheating in summer

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
                                Hate hate hate the clunk
                                Me too. Probably the worst thing about the car. It got a lot better with a new diff but I think the axles have something to do with it as well.
                                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                                X