5 things you like and 5 things you dislike about your m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

That's the whole point. Sell the car and get a 335i.
    Had one of those, too tall and too heavy and drove like a BB

And yes I do have something that has torque so no need to sell anything. I'm simply saying the car could use a bit more torque

Comment

Then do catless headers/tune or get 3.85/3.91s.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Dislikes: Lack of lower rpm torque; quality of interior materials.

maw
        I should say that I've owned the car for over 12 years and at no time have I thought to get rid of it. I fully intend to be driving it when these on the road will be like E9 on the road today. That said, it's not perfect. It's close -- "Everything" vs two.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post

Had one of those, too tall and too heavy and drove like a BB

And yes I do have something that has torque so no need to sell anything. I'm simply saying the car could use a bit more torque
          Gears, power mods, lightweight flywheel, and weight reduction (especially lightweight wheels)generate more torque or allow less weight per wtq. It'll never be an S62 but there are a lot of changes you can do that will maximize and more efficiently use the torque that is available.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I'm working on it, just put a SS setup on and finishing up the karbonius intake. Tune is set for next Friday so hopefully after that I get what I'm hoping for
            Last edited by Wernd; 03-13-2023, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
              I'm working on it, just put a SS setup on and finishing up the karbonius intake. Tune is set for next Friday so hopefully after that I get what I'm hoping for
              It makes a huge difference. Finally got my Karb CSL airbox and full SS setup + cams dialed in and dynoing tomorrow. It's a huge upgrade over stock.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Nothing at that price point, to be fair (Benzes and Audi's of that period and before). I've made that point before -- it's a 3-series. If this was as good as the E39M, interior wouldn't have been listed. It's fine. I'm just comparing it to higher price point cars.

maw
                Im of a similar opinion. I like the design of the e46 interior. The way it’s screwed together and the materials, however, is meh.

Conversely, the e90 interior design is meh, but the materials and quality are a big leap ahead.

The e39 seems to have both quality and design. Good for them!

Comment

Recently it seems that any variation from worshipful discourse is frowned upon in this forum.
                  Just because someone says the car is not perfect, does not mean that it is hated.
                  It's just another near 20 yo car and they all have their issues.
                  If we were given brand new examples of this car today, we all would not be chuffed to bits with the experience.

some of the most ardent supporters of the car appear to have the most modified examples ??

peace;

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                    Recently it seems that any variation from worshipful discourse is frowned upon in this forum.
                    Just because someone says the car is not perfect, does not mean that it is hated.
                    It's just another near 20 yo car and they all have their issues.
                    If we were given brand new examples of this car today, we all would not be chuffed to bits with the experience.

some of the most ardent supporters of the car appear to have the most modified examples ??

peace;
                    I think if you've owned the car for 10 plus years it's gonna be hard to knock it except for trivial things. The interior is one of the best designed for a true sports car. Could the materials have been more premium, maybe but at what cost. The only eye sore is the rubbery plastics that go bad with age and the eventual scratches no matter how careful you are.

Otherwise it's a pretty immaculate interior. In period cars have seldomly aged this well. An example is the 996/2 generation, now that is almost atrocious to sit inside unless you're in something special. My favorite GT3 is the 996.1 or 2 but man that interior is horrendous.

Torque wise, in period this was more than enough but most reviews still said the same. You need to be up in the revs. Recommendations made are the correct ones, catless CSL cams tune is damn near 400-450bhp depending on compression. At that level if you still need more you're missing the point.

Edit: also weight reduction.
                    Last edited by CrisSilberGrau; 03-14-2023, 07:55 AM.
                    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

Im of a similar opinion. I like the design of the e46 interior. The way it’s screwed together and the materials, however, is meh.

Conversely, the e90 interior design is meh, but the materials and quality are a big leap ahead.

The e39 seems to have both quality and design. Good for them!
                      E39 interior absolutely dunks on E46 and E90, especially with extended leather. I honestly think it's the best interior they ever did.

Comment

I have one major gripe. As a sports car manufacturer i have no idea why BMW did not offer a full solid rear bulk head as a standard option. Fold down seats on sports coupé as a mandatory option is a mystery to me. Probably this was the start of corporate push down that Mr Biermann talked about.

I could have better overall torsional rigidity with the solid rear bulk head vs a cf roof and still maintain my sunroof. I have a ski bag as an option ffs. Now to "finish" up I'd like to do the slon front brace and karb roof.
                        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

FBloggs is uninitiated

Comment

pros: it's a well rounded car, arguably the most well rounded car of all time

cons: at this point its a well rounded old car, compared to what you can buy today it's pretty uncompetitive outside of maybe cargo practicality

Comment

Uncompetitive? Why are you comparing performance between a car made in the late 90s to modern (turbo) era? There's more to a car than 0-60 times anyway. Has always been the case with m3s.

Good God I hate these debates.

Only car that competes with E46 m3 is E9x M3 for anywhere near/under $100k.

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
                                I have one major gripe. As a sports car manufacturer i have no idea why BMW did not offer a full solid rear bulk head as a standard option. Fold down seats on sports coupé as a mandatory option is a mystery to me. Probably this was the start of corporate push down that Mr Biermann talked about.

I could have better overall torsional rigidity with the solid rear bulk head vs a cf roof and still maintain my sunroof. I have a ski bag as an option ffs. Now to "finish" up I'd like to do the slon front brace and karb roof.
                                I get it and I agree, except for one point. BMW doesn’t make “sports” cars. They make sedans and sporting cars based on sedans. There in lies the compromise.

I wish they made a true halo sporting car. Sadly they don’t or haven’t since the M1.

Comment

Working...
                                X