Whats a good low range torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    As you may or may not know, torque wrenches are less accurate in towards their outer bounds. So if you're thinking about torquing a fasteners in, say, the 7 to 10 ft lbs range (of which there are many on VANOS work) then its not best to use the hypothetical range product you noted.

For low torque stuff, look at wrench indicated by inch lbs which is really where these products are placed. Common ranges are 10 or 20 in lbs to 150 or 200 in lbs. Your 7 ft lb fastener would be torqued to 84 in lbs, so you're right in the sweet spot of the range.

Look for a wrench with a dual scale, so in lbs on one side and nm on the other - very handy with BMWs.

I like CDI's torque wrenches and they are buy-once kind of deal. But to torque everything for VANOS lockdown, or other work you'll later do, you'll need a bigger brother in ft lbs. So its really a matter of needing two...🙃

Note that I am a homegamer so see if you get any comments from the pros (the real ones)
    +1 for CDI. I have 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4. I am also not a pro. Had my CDIs for almost 5 years then recently sent them out to be calibrated. They required very little calibration. If you remember to store them dialed all the way down they should be accurate with light use for a long time. That being said, no torque wrench of mine will see the inside of an engine without being calibrated within the past year. I waited two weeks to do my VANOS for my 1/4 inch torque wrench to come back from the calibration shop.

Comment

How about this 3/8" drive wrench?

Its between that and the CDI for me

CDI:

For 1/4" I've got this coming:

Kind of regretting that purchase almost..

Would the CDI 3/8" or the Gearwrench 3/8" I posted work for Vanos stuff or do you need 1/4" size?

My Craftsman 3/8" Torque wrench bottoms out at 20 ft. Lbs. I'd like to get the CDI or Gearwrench so I can do Vanos and the valve cover (18.5ft. Lbs) with one wrench that I can trust maybe more than the Tekton I just bought (God am I impulsive).

The Tekton 20-200 I have coming I was planning to use on the Vanos now I don't know if thats so smart to trust its calibrated well enough. So if that CDI 3/8" would work on the vanos itself that would be awesome because it is probably a better quality wrench and I could also you it for the valve cover as well. The strut brace I believe is also 18.5 ft lbs so I either set my Craftsman to 20 (lowest setting) or just feel it out. Now I'm just blathering on, blah.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
        How about this 3/8" drive wrench?

Its between that and the CDI for me

CDI:

For 1/4" I've got this coming:

Kind of regretting that purchase almost..

Would the CDI 3/8" or the Gearwrench 3/8" I posted work for Vanos stuff or do you need 1/4" size?

My Craftsman 3/8" Torque wrench bottoms out at 20 ft. Lbs. I'd like to get the CDI or Gearwrench so I can do Vanos and the valve cover (18.5ft. Lbs) with one wrench that I can trust maybe more than the Tekton I just bought (God am I impulsive).

The Tekton 20-200 I have coming I was planning to use on the Vanos now I don't know if thats so smart to trust its calibrated well enough. So if that CDI 3/8" would work on the vanos itself that would be awesome because it is probably a better quality wrench and I could also you it for the valve cover as well. The strut brace I believe is also 18.5 ft lbs so I either set my Craftsman to 20 (lowest setting) or just feel it out. Now I'm just blathering on, blah.
        I only used the 1/4 during my VANOS work except for the spark plugs.

That tekton should come with a calibration cert. Should be fine new.

1. If the calibration is old I wouldnt trust it.
        2. If it seemed like it has been used before I wouldnt trust it (sometimes amazon re-sells returned stuff).
        3. Before it touches the engine put it in a vise or a high-torque fastener and go through the range of adjustments and make sure it clicks throughout the range at a torque that seems reasonable for the setting. Anytime you take a torque wrench out thats been sitting (especially if its cold) you should do this. Many shops will have a socket bolted to the wall for this reason, before ever using it you need to set it to the max setting and yank on it until it clicks. There have been times where sitting click-type torque wrenches get seized and will never click.

Good luck. You can do it!

Comment

Do digital torque wrenches have the same inaccuracy issues at the edge of the spec range, as the mechanical ones do?
          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
            Do digital torque wrenches have the same inaccuracy issues at the edge of the spec range, as the mechanical ones do?
            That's generally the rule of thumb for any precision instrument, torque wrenches or otherwise.

That said, I think Snap-ons are calibrated for the entire range. And given the angle measurement allows you to go beyond the maximum torque spec, the "true range" is probably higher.

Comment

I've got the 1/4" and 1/2" versions of this Capri wrench. I've been happy with.

https://capritools.com/shop/professi...rque-wrenches/

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                Well, the ANSI spec allows +/-4% error in the clockwise direction for the 20-100% full scale range, but good wrenches are more like +/-1-2% 20-100% full scale, so it's perhaps more complicated than simply being less accurate at the edge, i.e. 5% of scale is not good, but 95% may not be that bad according to the spec.

Even Tekton clickers claim ANSI 4%, so I'm sure any SnapOn or CDI will be plenty accurate (mechanical or digital). It's more about making sure it's well-calibrated and having a quality action which won't randomly fail to click (like my 1/4" Tekton did once and snapped off a VANOS -> VC bolt). Btw if anyone wants a 1/4" Tekton, I'll send you one free...

But be sure to read the spec sheet for whatever you consider buying. 3/8" TechWrenches claim +/-1% at 20-100% of full scale in the clockwise direction and 1.5% CCW. TechAngles say 2% and 3%. My 1/4" Digitool Solutions DWA-2501 says +/-1% 10-100% CW or CCW. All, to quote Jeremy Clarkson, "as good as makes no difference".
                Last edited by ethan; 05-07-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  I really enjoy my snap on techangle torque wrenches.
                  Nicest tool I own. I definitely would try to find one used, but calibrated, and just go that route and be done with it.
                  2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    I need a good low range torque wrench in my collection of tools. Something that will accurately torque from say 5-50ft lbs. Specifically looking for a torque wrench I can trust for a Vanos lockdown in the future.
                    I have always wondered why guys use cheap Amazon tools on their expensive German automobiles.
                    Use SOLID German tools:

- Wera
                    - Stahlwille
                    - Gedore
                    - Hazet

I have all of these tools in by chest, and I use Wera and Gedore Torque wrenches which are phenomenal. Best prices are on Amazon.de or Amazon.uk.co

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

I have always wondered why guys use cheap Amazon tools on their expensive German automobiles.
                      Use SOLID German tools:

- Wera
                      - Stahlwille
                      - Gedore
                      - Hazet

I have all of these tools in by chest, and I use Wera and Gedore Torque wrenches which are phenomenal. Best prices are on Amazon.de or Amazon.uk.co
                      I second this, especially when you are torquing stuff that requires angle + torque.

Comment

As long as the brand you buy has a support network of shops that can calibrate it then buy it. Doesnt matter the brand, all of them need to be calibrated.

Before any head/vanos work I always get my 1/4 CDI calibrated. $20 for peace of mind goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a small beam torque wrench for in/lb stuff, a proto 1/4" old school torque wrench and a 1/2" snap on techangle.

Comment

I'll have to get a 3/8" techangle when rod bearings time comes, it would also cover the majority of the E46 M3 torque specs as well.
                            I use my 1/4" CDI quite often, probably time to get it re-calibrated.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

https://www.toolsource.com/dial-wren...s-p-91172.html
                              I use this one for low range stuff, CDI 3002LDIN 3/8" Drive Torque Wrench - Dial Type - 0-300 in-lbs

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                                Doesnt matter the brand, all of them need to be calibrated.
                                Just to clarify, beam-type torque wrenches can be "calibrated" by just ensuring that the needle points to zero when no torque is applied. Not to be confused with a split-beam torque wrench, but I'm not aware of any 1/4" drive split-beams.
                                2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Working...
                                X