Whats a good low range torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats a good low range torque wrench?

I need a good low range torque wrench in my collection of tools. Something that will accurately torque from say 5-50ft lbs. Specifically looking for a torque wrench I can trust for a Vanos lockdown in the future.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

As you may or may not know, torque wrenches are less accurate in towards their outer bounds. So if you're thinking about torquing a fasteners in, say, the 7 to 10 ft lbs range (of which there are many on VANOS work) then its not best to use the hypothetical range product you noted.

For low torque stuff, look at wrench indicated by inch lbs which is really where these products are placed. Common ranges are 10 or 20 in lbs to 150 or 200 in lbs. Your 7 ft lb fastener would be torqued to 84 in lbs, so you're right in the sweet spot of the range.

Look for a wrench with a dual scale, so in lbs on one side and nm on the other - very handy with BMWs.

I like CDI's torque wrenches and they are buy-once kind of deal. But to torque everything for VANOS lockdown, or other work you'll later do, you'll need a bigger brother in ft lbs. So its really a matter of needing two...🙃

Note that I am a homegamer so see if you get any comments from the pros (the real ones)
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Ha, shows what I know...oh well. This M3 is really the only car I've wrenched on besides my jeep, and the jeep I don't care as much, I just feel it out by hand.
      My M3 has me actively wanted to seek out to new projects, one of these days I hope I don't bite off more than I can chew!

Instagram

Comment

Seems to be discontinued now, but I use this one for the small bolts where the torque value is critical: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Probably something similar out there.

Comment

On a related note, how do you guys calibrate your torque wrenches? I've only seen the expensive digital calibration tools and the more diy friendly methods that involve using a luggage scale or similar. However, I'm not sure I trust those.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I actually have 4 torque wrenches. 1/4" drive in inch pounds as noted above. Then a 3/8 drive that goes from about 20 Newtons to more than I can torque with short wrench. Then 1/2" drive 50 ft lbs to 250 ft pounds. And finally I also have a 3/4" drive that goes to 450 ft lbs. (Actually that one I bought for work but I have used it for wheel nuts and such.)

Comment

I really enjoy my snap on techangle torque wrenches.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Can't say I've used my techangle since doing rod bearings. But it did make that job infinitely easier.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                  ... I like CDI's torque wrenches and they are buy-once kind of deal. But to torque everything for VANOS lockdown, or other work you'll later do, you'll need a bigger brother in ft lbs. So its really a matter of needing two...🙃....
                  Agree completely on the CDI torque wrenches. My CDI (http://www.cditorque.com/) is identical to a mechanic friend's Snap-On (Snap-On owns CDI) at about 1/2 the price.

Feff
                  MVP Track Time

Comment

Anyone have any experience with this wrench?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200506_094621.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	21447

Instagram

Comment

I would personally look for a used Snap-on on eBay. I have a digital 3/8 in Snap-on which I like a lot. The click type Snap-on wrenches are good too. They sell for a fraction of the retail price on the used market. After you buy it, send it out to a place like Team Torque to get re-calibrated. You would likely come in cheaper than those torque wrenches in the Catalog above.
                      '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                      '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                      '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                      '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                        I would personally look for a used Snap-on on eBay. I have a digital 3/8 in Snap-on which I like a lot. The click type Snap-on wrenches are good too. They sell for a fraction of the retail price on the used market. After you buy it, send it out to a place like Team Torque to get re-calibrated. You would likely come in cheaper than those torque wrenches in the Catalog above.
                        Agreed, and what I did.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                          Can't say I've used my techangle since doing rod bearings. But it did make that job infinitely easier.
                          I mean... you could start using it. I just use them as my torque wrench.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I mean... you could start using it. I just use them as my torque wrench.
                            I could, but I like my split beam wrench too. Just easier to whip that out, not worry about batteries being charged, and not worry about banging up a very expensive torque wrench

Comment

My Digitool Solutions DWA-2501 is fantastic. Worth a look.

I use that for engine stuff in 1/4", and then I have a QD2FR75 daily driver. Also use a larger cheapo Neiko Pro 1/2" beater for lugs and what not. Check them all against an ACDelco ARM602-4 pretty frequently, but also try to send them out for calibration... sometimes.
                              Last edited by ethan; 05-06-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X